Trinity vs. Tritheism: Understanding the Trinity.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keep in mind, the OP admits never studying the doctrine of the trinity and attacks his idea of what he thinks others teach about the trinity. This is a "straw man" argument from start to finish.
Yes, it is your straw man, @Dave L.

I do not admit to having never studied the Trinity...I know what is written in the creeds and I also have studied my Bible for over 28 years with the doctrine of the Trinity on the backburner of my thinking. I have not studied extensively what man has to say about it...(except the men who were inspired by the Holy Ghost to pen the holy scriptures).

Psa 118:8, It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
Psa 118:9, It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an excerpt from the Athanasian creed also:

For like as we are compelled by the Christian verity; to acknowledge every Person by himself to be God and Lord; So are we forbidden by the catholic religion; to say, There are three Gods, or three Lords.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you considered Oneness' denial of the Father and the Son, (two persons) is a trait of those with the "spirit of Antichrist"?

They broke off from Christendom in the early 1900s.

“They went out from us, but they did not belong to us; for if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us. However, they went out so that it might be made clear that none of them belongs to us.” (1 John 2:19) (HCSB)

“Who is the liar, if not the one who denies that Jesus is the Messiah? This one is the antichrist: the one who denies the Father and the Son.” (1 John 2:22) (HCSB)

Jews who rejected Jesus believe basically the same as Islam, Oneness, and JWs by denying the trinity. Christianity is the only religion that worships God in trinity.
Of course the devil uses fear tactics to keep people in bondage.

To deny that Jesus is the Christ (to deny Jesus) is to deny the Father and the Son.

The scripture in question substantiates my position rather than destroying it. To receive Jesus is to receive the Father and the Son.

Certain people who have a preconceived idea of what the Trinity is supposed to be in their minds, will fight against the truth (that is clearly proclaimed in the scriptures in the OP and the posts following by the author of the OP).

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

This subject is divisive, and totally unnecessary. For the word 'trinity' is not found in Scripture, however the operation of God in and through the relation of Father, the Lord Jesus Christ His Son, and the Holy Spirit, are indisputable.

God knows our feeble frame, and He has spoken to us in words and in ways that we are able to comprehend. All we are called upon to do, is to BELIEVE, RECEIVE and ACKNOWLEDGE what is written for our learning. Not endlessly argue about concepts that are so 'other' that our finite minds are not able to do them justice.

Just rejoice in the knowledge that God has given, and don't play Satan's game of divide and conquer.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you deny the doctrine of the trinity.
I will say this one time and one time only: that I do not deny the doctrine of the Trinity. @Dave L has three fingers pointing back at him, because of his Tritheism. Therefore he has no ground to stand on for his claim (that I am denying the Trinity) unless he can show how I have done so. And I would simply respond with statements that I have made that affirm the distinction between the members in the Godhead; and if I have not yet made those statements, I will clarify my position in light of @Dave L's quotation of me by showing how the quotation does not in fact say that there is no distinction.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This subject is divisive, and totally unnecessary.
Hi @charity,

I don't know what religion you hail from; but I do know that it is the antichrist religion that claims that the truth is divisive; because it is a one-world religion and desires to have all people come under its banner.

Not saying you aren't a Christian; just pointing out that you may have bought a certain lie.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @charity,

I don't know what religion you hail from; but I do know that it is the antichrist religion that claims that the truth is divisive; because it is a one-world religion and desires to have all people come under its banner.

Not saying you aren't a Christian; just pointing out that you may have bought a certain lie.

justbyfaith,

#45: - Methinks you presume too much my friend. How thankful I am that the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is a righteous judge.

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
justbyfaith,

#45: - Methinks you presume too much my friend. How thankful I am that the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is a righteous judge.

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris
I am certainly not judging you; just saying that the contention that something is divisive comes primarily from a religion that wants world domination.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you Christadelphian? Church of Christ? Church of God?
I would define myself as a combination of Oneness, Nazarene, and Calvary Chapel (and as the latter two I see a distinction between the members in the Trinity; while in the first I attempt to emphasize the Oneness of God in order to fight against the heresy of Tritheism in people's minds)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Co 2:13, Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1Co 2:14, But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am certainly not judging you; just saying that the contention that something is divisive comes primarily from a religion that wants world domination.
Hello @justbyfaith,

I can only quote the exhortation of Paul to Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:-

'Of these things put them in remembrance,
.. charging them before the Lord
.... that they strive not about words to no profit,
...... but to the subverting of the hearers.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God,
.. a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
.... rightly dividing the word of truth.
But shun profane and vain babblings:
.. for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
.... And their word will eat as doth a canker:
...... of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
........ Who concerning the truth have erred,
.......... saying that the resurrection is past already;
............ and overthrow the faith of some.
Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure,
.. having this seal, 'The Lord knoweth them that are His.'
.... And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ
...... depart from iniquity.'

(2 Timothy 2:14-19)

With love
In Christ Jesus
Chris

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and I would add:

1Co 1:10, Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Phl 2:1, If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,
Phl 2:2, Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
Phl 2:3, Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
Phl 2:4, Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
Phl 2:5, Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Rom 15:5, Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:
Rom 15:6, That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: charity
D

Dave L

I will say this one time and one time only: that I do not deny the doctrine of the Trinity. @Dave L has three fingers pointing back at him, because of his Tritheism. Therefore he has no ground to stand on for his claim (that I am denying the Trinity) unless he can show how I have done so. And I would simply respond with statements that I have made that affirm the distinction between the members in the Godhead; and if I have not yet made those statements, I will clarify my position in light of @Dave L's quotation of me by showing how the quotation does not in fact say that there is no distinction.
You say the Father is the Son and deny the doctrine of Christ because of this. John says 1 AND 1 = 2. You say 1 IS 2. So to speak.

“Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: for he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.” (2 John 9–11) (KJV 1900)

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a matter of fact the original posts are not intended to be divisive, but rather to bring unity.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You say the Father is the Son
You keep getting the order of these two things reversed.

For the record: I believe that the Son is the Father;

Isa 9:6, For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

not that the Father is the Son.

The Father inhabits eternity:

Isa 57:15, For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

The Son is on earth; fully indwelt by the Father:

Jhn 14:7, If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
Jhn 14:8, Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
Jhn 14:9, Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
Jhn 14:10, Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
Jhn 14:11, Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

Of course the devil uses fear tactics to keep people in bondage.

To deny that Jesus is the Christ (to deny Jesus) is to deny the Father and the Son.

The scripture in question substantiates my position rather than destroying it. To receive Jesus is to receive the Father and the Son.

Certain people who have a preconceived idea of what the Trinity is supposed to be in their minds, will fight against the truth (that is clearly proclaimed in the scriptures in the OP and the posts following by the author of the OP).
You do not understand the doctrine of the trinity, never having read it, yet you attack your misconceptions of what you think it is. And this places you into the profile of someone with the spirit of Antichrist. Why? because you deny the Father AND the Son by saying the Father IS the Son.

“Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.” (1 John 2:22) (KJV 1900)

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte
D

Dave L

You keep getting the order of these two things reversed.

For the record: I believe that the Son is the Father (Isaiah 9:6); not that the Father is the Son.

The Father inhabits eternity (Isaiah 57:15).

The Son is on earth; fully indwelt by the Father:

Jhn 14:7

If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
Jhn 14:8

Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
Jhn 14:9

Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
Jhn 14:10

Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
Jhn 14:11

Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
You are reversing your position from saying the Father is the Son, to saying the Son is the Father. Either way you exhibit the spirit of Antichrist by denying Both the Father AND the Son.

“Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.” (2 John 9) (KJV 1900)