Trinity vs. Tritheism: Understanding the Trinity.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

You are on a roll today...thank you for the good laugh.
It's true. I was a Pentecostal for several years and understood Acts the way you do, except for your legalistic baptismal regeneration understanding of Acts 2:38. But I never could sort out the tangles in Acts created by Pentecostalism until I escaped that mindset and began studying independently.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's true. I was a Pentecostal for several years and understood Acts the way you do, except for your legalistic baptismal regeneration understanding of Acts 2:38. But I never could sort out the tangles in Acts created by Pentecostalism until I escaped that mindset and began studying independently.
Did you ever come across Oneness Pentecostalism?

D

Dave L

Did you ever come across Oneness Pentecostalism?
There's a couple on this forum. I used to work for one who was amazed when I explained the trinity to him, as though he had never heard it before.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
your legalistic baptismal regeneration understanding of Acts 2:38.
I don't consider it legalistic at all. Do you even know what I believe about it?

I consider it to be a conditional promise, that if you fufill the condition, you will absolutely receive the promise.

There is also a promise in Luke 11:9-13 that is similar, with apparently a different condition.

I would say that if you don't have faith that you have received the promise through fulfilling the condition in Luke 11:9-13, that there is a definite shall that is spoken of in Acts 2:38-39.

Iow, you can have absolute assurance that you have received the Holy Ghost if you fulfill the condition of the promise in Acts 2:38 (and you will need that assurance; because people will accuse you of having a spirit other than the Holy Ghost if or when you begin to proclaim the revelations that God has given you as the result of receiving the Holy Ghost. People with the natural mind are simply not disposed to receiving the things of the Spirit of the Lord).

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God in Three Persons is so clear from Scripture, isn't it?
It never has been to me even though I was a dedicated Catholic until I graduated from high school in 1961 following Catholicism from a very pre- Vatican II point of view.

Seems like some ppl don't even make Scripture their guide, rather than ideas that "feel good"...
In the third Oneness Jesus Only assembly of which I was a part a brother explained to me in detail his doubts about the usual position of people within his organization. He was ostracized by some brothers as a heretic. I on, the other hand, agreed with much he had to say and it brought me close to the end of my time with Oneness groups [11 years total], but never close to a trinitarian view point. Now I am neither Oneness as per any familiar Oneness group nor am I trinitarian. I have been reading my Bible daily for a great many years since leaving the last Oneness group in 1987. While using scripture as a starting point for prayers I still cannot find either Oneness or Trinity as taught by any group or person I have encountered over the years... and I have encountered many.

Reactions: brakelite

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet despite this "clarity" no-one has understood it, nor been able to present it in any way that anyone else could understand it.
It can be understood however (for I believe that I understand it), if one can seek the understanding that would come from the Holy Ghost.