Two types of Resurrection

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which resurrection will be be a partaker of?

• 1st resurrection

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 2nd Resurrection

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dont know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
What is Resurrection and what are what are the different resurrections mentioned in the bible?

The Greek word a·naʹsta·sis literally means “raising up; standing up.” So a person who is dead receives life again in the flesh and 'rises up or stands up' iow, he comes back to life.

Physical Resurrection is a teaching in the Hebrew scriptures:
Hosea 13:14 From the power of the Grave I will redeem them;
From death I will recover them. Where are your stings, O Death?

Job 14:14 If a man dies, can he live again? I will wait all the days of my compulsory service
Until my relief comes. 15 You will call, and I will answer you. You will long for the work of your hands.

Hebrews 17 shows the patriach Abraham believed in Resurrection
Heb 11: 17
By faith Abraham, when he was tested, as good as offered up Isaac...19 But he reasoned that God was able to raise him up even from the dead"

Then in the christian scriptures we find many accounts of the resurrections in the first century. Jesus resurrected many as did the apostles. And those ones came back to life in the flesh. So resurrections are biblical and real.

There are infact only 2 types of resurrection in the bible.

1. "the first resurrection" Rev 20:6 refers to the resurrection of those who will reign with Christ. They will be raised in spirit to heavenly life. They will rule with Christ for 1000 years over mankind on earth.
Phil 3:11 shows that it comes before the earthly resurrection when Paul says "... I may attain to the earlier resurrection from the dead"
And in 1Cor15 Paul explains that the first resurrection is into heaven in spirit bodies: "But I tell you this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom...For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised up incorruptible, and we will be changed.53 For this which is corruptible must put on incorruption, and this which is mortal must put on immortality.

2. “resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.” Acts 24:15

These will be raised in the flesh to earthly life. They are the ones who will have the prospect of living forever on earth. Recall the words of Jesus to the evildoer hanging beside him on the torture stake: “Jesus, remember me when you get into your kingdom.” Jesus replied: “Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise.”

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is Resurrection and what are what are the different resurrections mentioned in the bible?

The Greek word a·naʹsta·sis literally means “raising up; standing up.” So a person who is dead receives life again in the flesh and 'rises up or stands up' iow, he comes back to life.

Physical Resurrection is a teaching in the Hebrew scriptures:
Hosea 13:14 From the power of the Grave I will redeem them;
From death I will recover them. Where are your stings, O Death?

Job 14:14 If a man dies, can he live again? I will wait all the days of my compulsory service
Until my relief comes. 15 You will call, and I will answer you. You will long for the work of your hands.

Hebrews 17 shows the patriach Abraham believed in Resurrection
Heb 11: 17
By faith Abraham, when he was tested, as good as offered up Isaac...19 But he reasoned that God was able to raise him up even from the dead"

Then in the christian scriptures we find many accounts of the resurrections in the first century. Jesus resurrected many as did the apostles. And those ones came back to life in the flesh. So resurrections are biblical and real.

1. "the first resurrection" Rev 20:6 refers to the resurrection of those who will reign with Christ. They will be raised in spirit to heavenly life. They will rule with Christ for 1000 years over mankind on earth.
Phil 3:11 shows that it comes before the earthly resurrection when Paul says "... I may attain to the earlier resurrection from the dead"
And in 1Cor15 Paul explains that the first resurrection is into heaven in spirit bodies: "But I tell you this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom...For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised up incorruptible, and we will be changed.53 For this which is corruptible must put on incorruption, and this which is mortal must put on immortality.

These will be raised in the flesh to earthly life. They are the ones who will have the prospect of living forever on earth. Recall the words of Jesus to the evildoer hanging beside him on the torture stake: “Jesus, remember me when you get into your kingdom.” Jesus replied: “Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise.”
I do see two seperate resurrections in scripture. One for all the righteous when Jesus returns at the second coming then a 1000 yrs later a resurrection of all the wicked.

I don't see a resurrection where both righteous and wicked multitude are resurrected in the same event....however, I do have a caveat.....when Jesus returns (second coming) some wicked will be resurrected as in those responsible for his immediate crucifixion....the priests , elders and scribes who condemned him in the judgement before Pilate....Jesus make reference to this when answering the high priest's demand as together he was the Son of God. Mark 14:62

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 5:28-29 goes with no.2...

John 5:28-29
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice,

29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
KJV

However, no.2 does not involve a raised 'flesh body' either.

Nor does no.1 mean a reign from Heaven.

Isa 25:5-9
5 Thou shalt bring down the noise of strangers, as the heat in a dry place; even the heat with the shadow of a cloud: the branch of the terrible ones shall be brought low.

6 And in this mountain shall the LORD of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined.

7 And He will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering cast over all people, and the vail that is spread over all nations.

8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of His people shall He take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.

9 And it shall be said in that day, "Lo, this is our God; we have waited for Him, and He will save us: this is the LORD; we have waited for Him, we will be glad and rejoice in His salvation."
KJV

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
John 5:28-29 goes with no.2...

John 5:28-29
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice,

29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
KJV

However, no.2 does not involve a raised 'flesh body' either.

Nor does no.1 mean a reign from Heaven.

Isa 25:5-9
5 Thou shalt bring down the noise of strangers, as the heat in a dry place; even the heat with the shadow of a cloud: the branch of the terrible ones shall be brought low.

6 And in this mountain shall the LORD of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined.

7 And He will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering cast over all people, and the vail that is spread over all nations.

8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of His people shall He take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.

9 And it shall be said in that day, "Lo, this is our God; we have waited for Him, and He will save us: this is the LORD; we have waited for Him, we will be glad and rejoice in His salvation."
KJV
Hi Davy,

So you dont think the resurrection will be in the flesh on earth?

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is only one resurrection for people who just believe 'only' ...'by faith alone?' yet to live' Like lazarus had. These people just believe and that's it.

and shall never die.... is truth. .. only for Liveth and believers in Christ.

I'm not picking Lazarus belief and waiting a trillion years (end of time) choice. Or maybe you spend all of time as a spirit? No way! Maybe him coming back for you is based on how good you had it here.

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Davy,

So you dont think the resurrection will be in the flesh on earth?

Not according to Apostle Paul, and I believe what Apostle Paul taught, don't you?

1 Cor 15:37
37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:
KJV

1 Cor 15:42-50
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

KJV

Since when can flesh be a "spiritual body"?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I should especially point out what Paul showed about the resurrection in 1 Cor.15:44-45...

1 Cor 15:44-45
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

KJV

1. The Old Testament Jews' belief about flesh = "The first man Adam was made a living soul":
This idea in Genesis 2 of how God said He formed the man Adam in His Garden of Eden is what the unbelieving Jews most rely on for an understanding of the 'soul'. God breathed into Adam the "breath of life", and Adam became "a living soul" (Gen.2:7). That is where Paul was pulling from. This idea is limited though, because later on in God's Word reveals more about how He created us with a spirit, a soul, in a flesh body.

2. The New Testament Revelation of what the resurrection is = "the last Adam was made a quickening spirit":
This is about our Lord Jesus' resurrection. His flesh was 'transfigured' to the resurrection body type Paul taught, a "spiritual body". That is what that last Adam being made a quickening "spirit" idea is about. That certainly is NOT... about a flesh body. It is about the "spiritual body" Paul said the resurrection is. This is not in conflict with what Jesus said in Luke 24:39. That merely reveals that the resurrection body, though not flesh, still has the feel and appearance of a flesh body, and is not a ghost. It is a body type of that other dimension, the heavenly.

So those dwelling on the false idea that we get new flesh bodies in the resurrection have some catching up to do, and need to belay their trust in the old Jewish tradition about the soul, and instead heed what Christ and Apostle Paul taught about the resurrection body.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, let's go just one more...

Our Lord Jesus, He is God come in the flesh through woman's womb, in which virgin Mary conceived by The Holy Spirit.

There are several pointers in both Old Testament and New Testament Scripture to show that our Lord Jesus is 'God with us' like Apostle Matthew said in Matthew 1:23, and that He is through Whom The Father created all things (Hebrews 1). (Those who refuse to believe those Scriptures 'as written', even in the KJV Bible that makes it plain, I don't have time to waste with you.)

So if our 'soul' doesn't exist until God's breath is breathed into a flesh body, then what about our Lord Jesus' Soul Whom Hebrews 7 identifies as Melchizedek of the Old Testament that met Abraham?

Hebrews 7 teaches that Melchizedek was without beginning or end of days, without father or mother. And later in Hebrews 7:13-14 Jesus is directly linked to the identity of Melchizedek.

In Genesis 18, three men appear to Abraham, and he bows to one of them and calls him Lord. Then Abraham is shown begging Him to not destroy the righteous in Sodom and Gomorrah. The other two men are the two angels sent to Lot in Genesis 19. This shows Jesus' existence, on earth, walking and speaking with Abraham.

How then, can some think that our Lord Jesus didn't come into existence until He was born into flesh in woman's womb? That idea goes totally against what is written about His eternal existence. Obviously, there are folks who must rely on their fleshy mind, and cannot fathom that there is a world of spirit that exists too, separately from flesh (Jesus said God is a Spirit - John 4:24; that which is born flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit - John 3).

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ow then, can some think that our Lord Jesus didn't come into existence until He was born into flesh in woman's womb?

? they believe the doctrines of demons !
(all the demons love it when that happens, even though they receive no reward - they are and know they are doomed to destruction)

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obviously, there are folks who must rely on their fleshy mind,

Most folks start out believing what they 'know' or think they 'know' with their carnal, fleshy mind.

Those who repent, give all that up, and no longer rely on their fleshy mind not anything in the flesh, nor trust anything in the flesh.

So it is a choice they make, or can make, or maybe some cannot make?,

not like they "must rely" on their fleshy mind, but they choose to do so,

unless God Grants them repentance.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
footnote only: Jesus says "Yahweh is Spirit". .... very distinct from "a" spirit.

The KJV translators were correct to put the "a" article in front of "Spirit"...

John 4:24
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.

KJV

Without it suggests that God is just some invisible force and not an Individual Person with the Image and Likeness of Man (Genesis 1:26). Without it is to suggest men's false ideas like Pantheism (belief that God is in and of all things).

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
? they believe the doctrines of demons !
(all the demons love it when that happens, even though they receive no reward - they are and know they are doomed to destruction)

You need to clarify your meaning, and properly quote if you're going to quote someone.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most folks start out believing what they 'know' or think they 'know' with their carnal, fleshy mind.

Those who repent, give all that up, and no longer rely on their fleshy mind not anything in the flesh, nor trust anything in the flesh.

So it is a choice they make, or can make, or maybe some cannot make?,

not like they "must rely" on their fleshy mind, but they choose to do so,

unless God Grants them repentance.

The way I explain it is in regard to Christ's promise of The Holy Spirit Comforter for those who believe on Him, as He said He will teach us all things (John 14:26).