Understanding God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there any way for us to do this? I understand God better than I understand man, or even understand myself. However, there are certain things I just don't understand. Like why innocent children die, sickness, and why doesn't God destroy all the evil in the world.

It are times like these where although I really don't want to I question my faith. Although, I'm guessing I'm probably not alone on this one. I'm probably even not alone when I say that sometimes because of my lack of understanding that sometimes even though it's just for a short period of time, I get angry and frustrated with God and all of this really concerns me to the point where I question my salvation. :( I realize that if I wasn't truly saved then I wouldn't be concerned at all though and these are just worrisome thoughts that Satan tries to plant in my head. Still, I can't help but have them from time to time. :(

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there any way for us to do this? I understand God better than I understand man, or even understand myself. However, there are certain things I just don't understand. Like why innocent children die, sickness, and why doesn't God destroy all the evil in the world.

It are times like these where although I really don't want to I question my faith. Although, I'm guessing I'm probably not alone on this one. I'm probably even not alone when I say that sometimes because of my lack of understanding that sometimes even though it's just for a short period of time, I get angry and frustrated with God and all of this really concerns me to the point where I question my salvation. :( I realize that if I wasn't truly saved then I wouldn't be concerned at all though and these are just worrisome thoughts that Satan tries to plant in my head. Still, I can't help but have them from time to time. :(

Hi April!
No, you surely are NOT alone here. We cannot help but sometimes "wonder why" and there are times as much as we might fight it, that we are "mad" at God for suddenly taking a loved one (in our minds, before their time but God has a time for all of us) or, any number of reasons. As, long as we turn back to Him, He is still right where we left Him..

The battles with me ALWAYS start in my mind. Satan needs only a tiny opening to slither in and mess with us. And mess with us he does! It is horrible and will always lead to doubting our salvation. Sometimes thoughts flit through my mind that I KNOW that I'd never, ever entertain and, I KNOW it is evil trying to creep in. Then I think, hey, NO!!! I have the mind of Christ, that thought is not mine and it is very unwelcome! Be gone Satan, God rebuke you! It is written...

As far as understanding God...I think it's impossible with our finite minds to know Him in His full Glory. Don't think our minds could conceive even a scrap of His Wholeness! Amen. But, it is comforting to think on all of His beauty and all of the mighty and awesome things He's done, and continues to do...even in this evil world.
xo

Last edited:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The world was so full of evil early on and God destroyed that world with all life except Noah's family and we have the fossil record all over this earth that shows how God destroyed that world with water. God promised He would not do that again and this earth will one day be destroyed by fire as Peter records in his letter. Then we will have a new heavens and a new earth which will be one where righteousness, holiness, sinlessness dwells forever and sin, sickness, disease, satan will be done away with in the lake of fire forever.

Until then we live in a fallen world because of sin and its ugly and difficult at times to witness its horrifying results in the lives of others, especially the innocent. God will hold everyone accountable for their sin and there will be a coming Judgment Day where those scales are balanced and His wrath poured out upon those without Christ as their Savior for sin. Until then we live in this fallen world which the bible says will get worse over time until He Returns at His 2nd Coming.

So I do not personally see things getting better each year but getting worse. Out nation wants nothing to do with God and has removed Him from most everything in the public sector. Man loves sin and hates God as Paul tells us in Romans many time.

Scripture calls believers alien's and strangers in this world, and that this world is not our home. Heaven is our home and we have been placed in the heavenlies with Christ Jesus and He told His disciples He went away in John 14 to prepare a place for them and one day they would be with Him forever in that place. So we live by faith in those promises knowing that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. Our hope is in Him, heaven and not this world which is only temporary.

hope this helps !!!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sadly it is just that which prevents my son from accepting Jesus.

As sad as it is I can't really find too much fault with him because even though I love Jesus, there are perfectly good reasons why a lot of people never turn to Him. However, I have discovered that I get through difficult times much better because of my faith. I just question it from time to time. However, didn't Jesus at one point when He was on the cross feel forsaken? So I guess instead of beating myself up about it I should just forgive myself like I forgive others and God forgives me. The only questions I have now are when I feel like I feel in the OP, what do I do about it? How do I make it better?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As sad as it is I can't really find too much fault with him because even though I love Jesus, there are perfectly good reasons why a lot of people never turn to Him. However, I have discovered that I get through difficult times much better because of my faith. I just question it from time to time. However, didn't Jesus at one point when He was on the cross feel forsaken? So I guess instead of beating myself up about it I should just forgive myself like I forgive others and God forgives me. The only questions I have now are when I feel like I feel in the OP, what do I do about it? How do I make it better?
Its great to know that we as believers have the COMFORTER in us, the Holy Spirit of promise who can give us the peace of God that surpasses all understanding.

I just went through 6 weeks of interviewing for my dream job, was offered it with a letter and then on 12/31 the HR department calls me to tell me they were going in another direction. From my perspective I saw Gods hand all over this process from start to finish with getting the offer letter for the job, meeting all the management and welcoming me to the team, showing me my new office and ordering my ne business cards etc..........

I turned down other offers during December because this was where I was sure God had wanted me to work and I was so excited to work for this company. Then I had the rug pulled out from under me at the 12th hour.

I was devastated for a few hours in unbelief over these circumstances. But then I realized God is still in control and I need to continue to trust Him through this and He has something better for me. So its back to placing my trust in Him for another job with another company and I get to start this process all over again.

Was I discouraged ? absolutely but now I'm back on my feet again, resting in Him and have His peace in me to go forward in confidence that He will provide something better for mt to provide for my family. He always has in the past and I know He will this time as well.

hope this helps !!!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its great to know that we as believers have the COMFORTER in us, the Holy Spirit of promise who can give us the peace of God that surpasses all understanding.

I just went through 6 weeks of interviewing for my dream job, was offered it with a letter and then on 12/31 the HR department calls me to tell me they were going in another direction. From my perspective I saw Gods hand all over this process from start to finish with getting the offer letter for the job, meeting all the management and welcoming me to the team, showing me my new office and ordering my ne business cards etc..........

I turned down other offers during December because this was where I was sure God had wanted me to work and I was so excited to work for this company. Then I had the rug pulled out from under me at the 12th hour.

I was devastated for a few hours in unbelief over these circumstances. But then I realized God is still in control and I need to continue to trust Him through this and He has something better for me. So its back to placing my trust in Him for another job with another company and I get to start this process all over again.

Was I discouraged ? absolutely but now I'm back on my feet again, resting in Him and have His peace in me to go forward in confidence that He will provide something better for mt to provide for my family. He always has in the past and I know He will this time as well.

hope this helps !!!

I think so,.. in other words you're saying that we have to trust in Him even though it's difficult. Which I know He knows better than I do, but still that sometimes seems like an impossible task when I look at our world today. Riots, cheating, (in the election) destruction of property, murders, and this great pandemic that we're currently suffering through. *Sigh* Although I have faith that God will get us through it, I sort of wonder why He allows it to happen. 2020 made history for being one of the worst years ever. :( @Bobby Jo, @historyb, @WaterSong, @JohnDB, do any of you guys have a insight of to why that is? Cause at times like these is when I start feeling the most helpless of all. :(

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so,.. in other words you're saying that we have to trust in Him even though it's difficult. Which I know He knows better than I do, but still that sometimes seems like an impossible task when I look at our world today. Riots, cheating, (in the election) destruction of property, murders, and this great pandemic that we're currently suffering through. *Sigh* Although I have faith that God will get us through it, I sort of wonder why He allows it to happen. 2020 made history for being one of the worst years ever. :( @Bobby Jo, @historyb, @WaterSong, @JohnDB, do any of you guys have a insight of to why that is? Cause at times like these is when I start feeling the most helpless of all. :(
Don't feel helpless. (HUG) I think sometimes, when we recall all that happens is by God having predestined it to happen,we have to roll wit he punches. Maybe it will make us stronger in our faith. Maybe we'll realize how corrupt politicians are. I've no idea. Some people think God messes with the world to punish us. I don't accept that in my theology.
Who really knows? When we see him face to face that may be the first question we ask.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... 2020 made history for being one of the worst years ever. ... do any of you guys have a insight of to why that is? ...

Dearest AR,

I've been accused of being a "broken record" ( :rolleyes: ) for continually asserting that we're in the Tribulation, and have asserted as such since the Spring of 2018. And being that we're some 10 or 11 months until Jesus Returns, -- wouldn't it make sense that things are getting worse, and Worse, and WORSE, -- day by day?!?

Of course I would NEVER want anyone to take my word for any such assertion, and so I've exhorted EACH CHRISTIAN to "try the spirits" by searching the Prophetic Psalms in accordance with the J.R. Church "Hidden Prophecies In The Psalms" premise, -- per the following aspects*:

1. What is the SHORTEST Chapter in all Scripture?
2. What is the MIDDLE Chapter in all Scripture?
3. What is the LONGEST Chapter in all Scripture?​

... and using the J.R. Church "Prophetic Psalms" premise:

4. What Chapter is exactly 70 years after the International Recognition of the State of Israel?
5. What YEAR did the United States Recognize Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel?​

... and if it turns out that the year 2018 is CORE to these questions, then could the SPRING of 2018 have COMMENCED THE TRIBULATION? And if the 42 Month (Rev. 13:5) Tribulation (- NOT the FALSE 7-year "Dan. 9" lie -) began in the SPRING of 2018, then it should END in the FALL of 2021?!?!?

... but complex math was never my strong suit ... :p

With VERY BEST Regards,
Bobby Jo :cool:

PS * Please also search this Book 19, prophetic to the Jews for the 1900's, Chapter 48 for the year = 1948, to see if that Chapter depicts the International Recognition of the State of Israel; and if so inclined one might also look at Book 19, Chapter 44 = 1944 Holocaust; and also Book 19, Chapter 91 = 1991 Desert Storm; -- among others.

And if a person had a comprehensive grasp of modern Jewish History, ALL THE CHAPTERS OF THE PSALMS would align with Modern Jewish History. :)

Last edited:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
do any of you guys have a insight of to why that is? Cause at times like these is when I start feeling the most helpless of all.

Ummmm
Hate to break it to you...but you are helpless against God's plan for your life.

But God is good.
Why would he plan disaster for you?

Wouldn't He plan hard times that end in incredible endings full of joy and happiness?

Sure it's difficult...sure it's hard...but it makes you appreciate the truly good stuff when it happens. And you end up with a lot stronger character on the other side of tough times too.

You are well cared for and well loved during this season. You haven't been harmed by any of the things you mentioned...as if you are above it all and they can't touch you.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No I don't. It could be that God is the great watch maker winding up the watch and letting things happen a they do. Never give up, never give in and neverlive in fear. Things happen this world has been given to Satan by Adam and Eve until God takes it back.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummmm
Hate to break it to you...but you are helpless against God's plan for your life.

But God is good.
Why would he plan disaster for you?

Wouldn't He plan hard times that end in incredible endings full of joy and happiness?

Sure it's difficult...sure it's hard...but it makes you appreciate the truly good stuff when it happens. And you end up with a lot stronger character on the other side of tough times too.

You are well cared for and well loved during this season. You haven't been harmed by any of the things you mentioned...as if you are above it all and they can't touch you.

I still have fear though. :(

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't feel helpless. (HUG) I think sometimes, when we recall all that happens is by God having predestined it to happen,we have to roll wit he punches. Maybe it will make us stronger in our faith. Maybe we'll realize how corrupt politicians are. I've no idea. Some people think God messes with the world to punish us. I don't accept that in my theology.
Who really knows? When we see him face to face that may be the first question we ask.

Greetings Sister WaterSong!

I totally agree that our faith can not become strong, unless we are tested! Amen? How else even to grow our faith strong?
He has already told us what is to come and, even though it (this world) continues to downspiral into sin that God will FINALLY put an end to, and the "love of many will wax cold", we have to keep holding on to His joy and promises, and...one another, fellowship is VITAL to growth, IMHO. I think it would please The Father if we were as calm as Jesus was on the boat, asleep, when we're faced with the seemingly impossible things that life throws at us.

Matthew 8:24
"And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep."

"Some people think God messes with the world to punish us. I don't accept that in my theology."

Neither do I accept this teaching. God allows things to happen for His purposes. He sure doesn't need to mess with this already way messy world to use all of the bad "to the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purposes" Amen!!
He can make anything out of nothing so...I think he has it all coming together in HIS plan and...we might see allot through a glass darkly now, and it's so hard not to ask the "why questions" but then we also know that:

His ways are higher!

Isaiah 55:9
9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

His plans are PERFECT!

Psalm 18:30
"30 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him."

And, it is Him who makes our path's straight...

Proverbs 3:5-7"5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil."

...when we put our full trust and faith in Him, no matter what we go through or even see before our eyes. It's fantastic and comforting and so peaceful to really know these things to be true in my life and others as well. It's all in faith and trusting without seeing, and yes, even through the deepest of suffering.

Sry, went off on a bit of a soap box there :eek:

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say yes, He sure was and, to the point of sweating tears as likem drops of blood when He asked The Father to let the cup pass. Never the less...

That's right, He was scared of the cross. He just acted fearless out of love for us. :)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's right, He was scared of the cross. He just acted fearless out of love for us. :)
The bible teaches us he had sorrow, not fear:

1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible teaches us he had sorrow, not fear:

1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Well,.. I don't think that fear is a sin and if somebody was going to torture you and nail you to a cross and kill you,.. wouldn't you be scared?

Reactions: dev553344