1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unforgivable sin(s)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Airaux, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Airaux

Airaux New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    Throughout the decades, I have (intermittently) read the Bible and "auxiliary" material, encountering many and varied conflicting views on a wide range of theological subjects. One disturbing issue is that of committing a sin so awful that one cannot be saved from it.
    I know the passage with Jesus and the Pharisees and the calling Jesus an operator of Beelzebeb.
    Does anyone have any opinions as to what constitutes an unforgivable sin? Eg - what about - as dreadful as it is - swearing at and/ or calling God obscene things? - either as a heartfelt expression, or in the heat of the moment - or, for that matter, because one is so afraid of doing it, the words come into one's mind. A bit like someone saying to you - "Whatever you do, don't think of a giraffe!" You may have not thought of a giraffe for years, but as you realise you must not think of one, you automatically focus on one.
    I'd being interested to hear what others think of the issue of unforgivable sin(s).

2. Windmillcharge

Windmillcharge Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom

3. quietthinker

quietthinker Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Australia
    Hello Airaux....the unforgivable sin is rejecting the voice of conviction....it is pushing away God's Spirit. When that is rejected there is no other avenue for God to speak to the heart. Stonewalling that pleading voice ensures no access to God any longer.

4. Airaux

Airaux New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for responding.

5. lforrest

lforrest Well-Known Member Staff Member Admin

Faith:
    Christian
    As for swearing at and/ or calling God obscene things, it is addressed in the same scripture that these are not the same as blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and can be forgiven.

Matthew 12:31-32

Helen likes this.
  6. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    HI Airaux,

If we let Scripture define this for us, this is what we have:

Mark 3
    28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
    29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.
    30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

The wrong they had committed was to say that Jesus had an unclean spirit. Jesus' charge against them was to warn them them that this accusation, that the Holy Spirit was unclean, puts them in danger of eternal comdemnation.

They saw the works performed through Jesus, the works which Jesus pointed to, challenging them to believe. The acknowledge a greater power working through Jesus, but in their insistence to not believe in Him, they painted that power as from an evil source.

They denied the Godly works that Jesus did by saying that God working in Jesus - the Holy Spirit - was evil.

Blasphemy is to insult or vilify. And that's what they did. They vilified the Holy Spirit so they could continue to deny Jesus.

They question is, can someone do that today? Perhaps, but not in the same way they did then.

I hope this helps!

Much love!

7. Airaux

Airaux New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, 'though I must admit, I don't understand why blasphemy against the Holy Spirit would be deemed worse that blaspheming God.

8. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The Holy Spirit was given without limitation to Jesus during His earthly ministry, and by the power of the Holy Spirit Jesus did His works, the signs and wonders given so that the Jews would believe.

Jesus frequently pointed to His works to show the truth of His claims. In essence, the Holy Spirit is given as the power by which we believe and our saved. Or more to the point, that they would believe, those seeing these works. That they would believe and be saved, but instead they call the Holy Spirit unclean.

You've said, deemed worse than blaspheming God. I don't know that it is worse, but in this case, simply no remedy. Unforgivable. Maybe simply because the Spirit they call unclean is the Spirit that would save them.

These are my thoughts, but at the end of the day, I don't really know how to answer that.

Much love!

9. Airaux

Airaux New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    Thanks.

10. Giuliano

Giuliano Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Here's what I think. Some of those people once had the Holy Spirit themselves. When they became jealous of Jesus, they lied and said he had an unclean spirit. They knew better. They resisted the guidance of the Holy Spirit and grieved it.

We can be forgiven for blasphemy when we don't know what we're blaspheming; but if someone has the Holy Spirit, he knows. The Spirit can leave people when they grieve it too much. Compare to:

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
    27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019