...until the pit be digged for the wicked.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 94:13 Lexicon: That You may grant him relief from the days of adversity, Until a pit is dug for the wicked.

Psalm 94:13 That thou mayest give him rest from the days of adversity, until the pit be digged for the wicked.

“...until a pit is dug for the wicked.” Put this under praise for the One who ‘lifts up’ those who have fallen down into a pit. “For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.” Luke 9:56

Psalm 7:14-15 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. [15] He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made.

Matthew 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Proverbs 26:27 Whoso diggeth a pit shall fall therein: and he that rolleth a stone, it will return upon him.

Job 6:27 Yea, ye overwhelm the fatherless, and ye dig a pit for your friend.

Luke 14:5-6 And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the sabbath day? [6] And they could not answer him again to these things.

Matthew 12:10-13 And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him. [11] And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out? [12] How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days. [13] Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other.

Psalm 57:2-7 I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me. [3] He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him (the pit)that would swallow me up. Selah. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth. [4] My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword. [5] Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth. [6] They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down: they have digged a pit before me, into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves. Selah. [7] My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.

James 5:11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
James 4:8-12 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. [9] Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. [10] Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up. [11] Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. [12] There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Great verses to read, but the source context has become lost in the translations. Take for example the verse below which you copied from the KJV.

James 5:11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

In this one English translation verse I would add some words and change others to make the context line up with the source Greek Text such that it would read as: -

Behold/Indeed, we count them happy which/who endure. Ye/You have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen/heard of the end Goal of the Lord; and seen that {the Lord} is very pitiful/compassionate, and of tender mercy.

You may say that the way I have paraphrased this verse adds nothing to what the KJV paraphrase off this verse said. However, I would beg to differ.

Although we may prefer a particular translation, the "traditions" of theological understandings of past translations tends to continue on in the later translations and we need to go back to the source Greek Texts to confirm what the source context of the passage says. But because our favourite translations are so firmly embedded in our minds, we do find it difficult to "correct" what we love so dearly.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In my younger days, I had a way of my anger going from 1 to 10 in an instant.
It scared me so badly that I might really hurt someone that I turned it inward.
One time I think I fell into my own wellspring during a near-death experience.
It took a year for me to remember.
I was laying on my belly, face down.
My head was lifted up and through my straggly hair, I saw a tall, bright, light.
A voice came from it and said to me, "Choose life or choose death."
I cried out, "I wanna live."
Instantly I felt life course through me.
Then I was swimming up a dark, narrow tube, holding my breath as I swam for my life.
Up above I saw a circle of light and as I neared it, I saw numerous objects swirling around on the surface.
As I got close enough, I reached out and grabbed an object and as I did, I saw it was a guitar.
This happened around January, 1988.
I've since come to think of this tube as, "Jacob's Well."
Which makes sense to me since I'm descended from him.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Psalm 94:13 That thou mayest give him rest from the days of adversity, until the pit be digged for the wicked.
The pit is definitely being digged for the wicked, since they are all digging themselves deeper and deeper into Hell (the Lake of Fire).

Today we are seeing the apparent victory of the evildoers in America with the massive fraud which has been allowed to stand. But while they imagine that they have gained the upper hand, and stolen power for their evil agenda, God has been keeping a meticulous record of all their words and actions. Which means that the pit is indeed being digged (or dug) for the wicked, and Hell is waiting for all of them.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great verses to read, but the source context has become lost in the translations. Take for example the verse below which you copied from the KJV.
In this one English translation verse I would add some words and change others to make the context line up with the source Greek Text such that it would read as: -

Behold/Indeed, we count them happy which/who endure. Ye/You have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen/heard of the end Goal of the Lord; and seen that {the Lord} is very pitiful/compassionate, and of tender mercy.

You may say that the way I have paraphrased this verse adds nothing to what the KJV paraphrase off this verse said. However, I would beg to differ.

Although we may prefer a particular translation, the "traditions" of theological understandings of past translations tends to continue on in the later translations and we need to go back to the source Greek Texts to confirm what the source context of the passage says. But because our favourite translations are so firmly embedded in our minds, we do find it difficult to "correct" what we love so dearly.

thank you.