Virginia Tech. Shooting

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Virginia Tech Shooting Kills at Least 33 By CHRISTINE HAUSER and ANAHAD O’CONNORAt least 33 people were killed today on the campus of Virginia Tech in what appears to be the deadliest shooting rampage in American history, according to federal law-enforcement officials. Many of the victims were students shot in a dorm and a classroom building. “Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions,” said the university’s president, Charles Steger. At least 22 people were injured, some critically. Witnesses described scenes of mass chaos and unimaginable horror as some students were lined up against a wall and shot. Others jumped out of windows to escape, or crouched on floors to take cover. There were two separate shootings on the campus in Blacksburg, Va., the first at around 7:15 a.m., when two people were shot and killed at a dormitory. More than two hours later, 31 others, including the gunman, were shot and killed across campus in a classroom building, where some of the doors had been chained. Victims were found in different locations around the building.The first attack started as students were getting ready for classes or were on their way there. The university did not evacuate the campus or notify students of that attack until several hours later.As the rampage unfolded, details emerged from witnesses describing a gunman going room to room in the residence hall, the West Ambler Johnston dormitory, and of gunfire later at Norris Hall, a science and engineering classroom building. When it was over, even sidewalks were stained with blood. Among those dead was the gunman, whose body was found along with victims in Norris Hall.“Norris Hall is a tragic and sorrowful crime scene,” said a police official at Virginia Tech, Wendell Flinchum.At a news conference in the afternoon, he and Mr. Steger tried to explain why authorities did not act to secure the rest of the campus immediately after the first shooting.Chief Flinchum said that initially officials thought that the shooting was “domestic,” suggesting that it was between individuals who knew each other, and isolated to the dormitory. He said the campus was not shut down after the first shooting because authorities thought that the attacker may have left the campus, or even the state.“We knew we had two people shot,” he said. “We secured the building. We secured the crime scene.” He later added: “We acted on the best information we had at the time.”But two hours later, a gunman had gone to a classroom building on the other side of the campus and began killing those inside. He then killed himself, Chief Flinchum said. The gunman has not been identified. According to a federal law enforcement official, the suspected shooter did not have identification and could not be identified visually because of the severity of an apparently self-inflicted wound to the head. He said investigators were trying to trace purchase records for two handguns found near the body. At least 17 Virginia Tech students were being treated for gunshot wounds and other injuries at Montgomery Regional Hospital, and four of them were in surgery, according to a hospital spokesperson. At Lewis-Gale Medical Center, in Salem, Va., four students and a staff member were treated. Two were in stable condition, and the conditions of the other three were described as “undetermined.” Officials said there may have been more injured and taken to other medical facilities. The university has more than 25,000 full-time students on a campus that is spread over 2,600 acres. It was not clear how many of the victims had been notified of the dangers. Some students complained that they had not been notified of the first shooting on campus for more than two hours.Kirsten Bernhards, 18, said she and many other students had no idea that a shooting had occurred when she left her dorm room in O’Shaughnessy Hall shortly before 10 a.m., more than two hours after the first shootings.“I was leaving for my 10:10 film class,” she said. “I had just locked the door and my neighbor said, ‘did you check your email?’” The university had, a few minutes earlier, sent out a bulletin warning students about an apparent shooter. But few students seemed to have any sense of urgency. Ms. Bernhards said she walked toward her class, preoccupied with an upcoming exam and listening to music on her IPOD. On the way, she said, she heard some loud cracks, and only later concluded they had been gunshots from the second round of shootings. But even at that point, many students were walking around the campus with little if any sense of alarm.It was only when Ms. Bernhards got close to Norris Hall, the second of two buildings where the shootings took place, that she realized something had gone wrong.“I looked up and I saw at least 10 guards with assault rifles aiming at the main entrance of Norris,” she recalled.Up until today, the deadliest campus shooting in United States history was in 1966 at the University of Texas, where Charles Whitman climbed to the 28th-floor observation deck of a clock tower and opened fire, killing 16 people before he was gunned down by police. In the Columbine High attack in 1999, two teenagers killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before killing themselves. While few confirmed details about the gunman and the motive were clear, students told reporters at WTKR, a local television station, that the gunman had been looking for his girlfriend, and at one of the locations he lined up some students and shot them all, according to Mike Mather, a reporter for the station.President Bush offered condolences this afternoon to relatives of the victims, and said federal investigators would help the Virginia authorities in any way possible. “We hold the victims in our hearts; we lift them up in our prayers,” Mr. Bush said at the White House.President Bush was “horrified” at the news of the shooting, said Dana Perino, a White House spokeswoman, earlier in the day.One student captured partial images, broadcast on CNN, using his cellphone video camera showing grainy dark-clad figures on the street outside of campus buildings. Popping sounds from the gunfire were audible.“This place is in a state of panic,” said a student who was interviewed on CNN, Shaver Deyerle. “Nobody knew what was going on at first.”He said that the shooting reminded him of the Columbine High School killings.Today’s shooting at Virginia Tech comes in the same week, eight years ago, as the April 20 shooting at Columbine.The police were slowly evacuating students from campus buildings and all classes have been canceled.Families were told to reunite with students at the Inn at Virginia Tech, a facility of conference space and hotel rooms. The university community was told to assemble on Tuesday at the Cassell Coliseum to start to deal with the tragedy, a campus statement said. Images on CNN showed police with assault rifles swarming several buildings, sirens blaring in the background and a voice over a loudspeaker warning people across the campus to take cover in buildings and stay away from windows. Many students could be seen crouching on floors in classrooms and dormitories. Police evacuated students and faculty, many of them to local hotels, and witnesses said that some students were seen scrambling out of windows to get to safety. A Montgomery County school official said that all schools throughout the county were being shut down.The shooting was the second in the past year that forced officials to lock down the campus. In August of 2006, an escaped jail inmate shot and killed a deputy sheriff and an unarmed security guard at a nearby hospital before the police caught him in the woods near the university. The capture ended a manhunt that led to the cancellation of the first day of classes at Virginia Tech and shut down most businesses and municipal buildings in Blacksburg. The accused gunman, William Morva, is facing capital murder charges

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This bothers me, the execution style shooting that went on in some cases suggests this was done as a message to someone else IMHO... I had a friend there who is fine. No one I know has had anyone they know their shot or killed. I just don't know what to make of this. What do you say? All I can say is father be with us all, but be with the families the most.

betchevy

Jan 7, 2007
It just horrifying, the desire to kill so many innocent people is just an unimaginable idea to me... The students and parents are in my prayers...

E

epouraniois

Blogs written by students at Virginia Tech University have expressed fury at how police and university authorities dealt with the shooting there yesterday. Installed just last week were dozens and dozens of loudspeakers and militarized cameras all over the campus, but they weren't used for several hours for some reason. The ROTC was right across the street.In January 2002, a student at the Virginia Appalachian School of Law, Peter Odighizuwa, shot three people dead before other students were able to retrieve guns from their cars and put an end to the carnage before there was more bloodshed. Over thirty victims at VA Tech yesterday were denied that right as a result of a campus gun control law that helped the shooter pick off his targets at will.Yesterday morning a man shot 32 students at the Virginia campus before killing himself. A male and female student were shot at a hall of residence early in the morning. Two hours after the initial shooting the man returned and went on the rampage. It has been reported that the original shooting resulted from the man looking for his girlfriend and finding her with another student.The Virginia Police Department received a 911 call from a dormitory on the Virginia campus at about 7.15am. On arriving they found the bodies of a male and female. This shooting was initially believed to be an isolated incident. University authorities met at 9.00am to discuss the situation and at 9.26am staff and students were told by email of the killing and warned to be alert to suspicious activity.At 9.45am the police got another 911 call that there was a shooting at Norris Hall, an engineering block. When officers arrived at the building they found the doors locked and heard gunshots. As officers reached the second floor the gunshots stopped - the gunman had shot himself. A further email sent to staff and students warned there was a gunman on campus and they should stay inside and away from windows.Apparently it was so confusing that all the police could think to do was stand around for a few hours in military gear (which takes a long time to put on) till there are many more officers could arrive, then make decisions. But they looked good in their military gear didn't they!Virginia Tech website has more information here.Some student bloggers blamed Virginia Tech president and the local police for the tragedy. There are blogs here and here and mobile phone footage here.A student run news website is here.Why would all the police be running drills that morning and stand down for so long? Who has the authority to have them do nothing for so many hours?Waco, 8 years this week, Colombine, 8 years this week, OKC bombing, 8 years this week.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I am just having such feelings of saddness I don't know how to comprehend sending my child off to school and have something like this happen. I heard one teacher stepped in front and took a bullit to protect the students.Other stories of Students putting themselves in harms way holding doors shut even as shots were being fired through the doors to protect other students. Its just all so traggic that this kind of evil exists in the world. God is slow to anger,but I'm sure all the evil that is abundent in our world is about to push that anger to its end.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Heard this on the news...I hate it when people kills innocent people. Bothers my soul a whole lot. Although I literally hate the actions. I still love the person who did that. *sigh* a crazy world alright.Lovest ye in Christ Jesus our Lord and Saviour.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Several new stories have identified the shooter as having "ISMAIL AX" written on his arm in red. This phrase may or may not sound vaguely familiar. We'd be more familiar with the Hebrew spelling Ishmael. This reference on his arm is the Islamic counterpart of the story of Abraham and Isaac save in Islam it is Abraham and Ismail.