Walking in the Spirit and Abiding in Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:16 "This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh."

John 15:4 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me."

Abide . . . from the Greek work meno . . . to remain.

Are these the same? Walking in the Spirit, and Abiding in Christ?

What does it mean to walk in the Spirit? To Abide in Christ?

What part do we play in doing these? What does that "look like"?

Much love!

Last edited:

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:16 "This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh."

John 15:4 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me."

Much love!

In Galatians we read;

“having begun in the Spirit”.

So all one has to figure out is what the Galatians did at first, and a continuation of that would be walking, a continuation of that would be living in the Spirit.

So what did the Galatians do at first? The answer is self-evident in you. Be blessed as you learn and see and discover this truth by experience.....A truth no one can ever take away, a truth that itself will guide you into all truth...

When the morning star rises in the heart the heart will rejoice as never before..

Be blessed in Him, Not me

edit; you described it quite correctly, as it would play out in real life, in your other post, on the other thread, you just didn’t recognize it... as a thought.

Last edited:

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Much love!
Hi marks. Thanks for raising this discussion. Here are some brief points that I have made to help me understand the terms in Scripture that pertain to "walking" and "abiding".
  1. Actions: Taken literally walking is an activity. Used figuratively walking applies to conduct.
  2. Associations: Taken literally abiding is a state. Used figuratively abiding applies to connection.
Gal 5:25
(25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

We are in a spiritual state because of our connection to Christ. If His Spirit dwells in us and we abide in Him our conduct should be in submission to Him. Our actions are bred of our associations. Frustrations occur because the flesh and the Spirit are in conflict.

Gal 5:17
(17) For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that you cannot do the things that you would.

Because we are in association with Christ we must sacrifice the fleshly conduct and connections at the point where they conflict with the Will of God, and "die to self" as the saying goes.

Gal 5:24
(24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Back to you :)

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"What does it look like?" It looks brighter(Glowing) than Moses's face when he came down from the mountain. What does it sound like(the un asked question)? The same as what you read, from Paul or John or Peter or any of the anointed. Now there's a word you do not hear about in here.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi marks. Thanks for raising this discussion. Here are some brief points that I have made to help me understand the terms in Scripture that pertain to "walking" and "abiding".
  1. Actions: Taken literally walking is an activity. Used figuratively walking applies to conduct.
  2. Associations: Taken literally abiding is a state. Used figuratively abiding applies to connection.
I like this!

How do we maintain that state of abiding, so that we will remain walking?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"What does it look like?" It looks brighter(Glowing) than Moses's face when he came down from the mountain. What does it sound like(the un asked question)? The same as what you read, from Paul or John or Peter or any of the anointed. Now there's a word you do not hear about in here.
Unlike Moses, whose brightness faded, our is ever increasing!

What does it sound like . . . yes! A good question! Our thoughts echoing the words of Scripture as our thinking is conformed to the mind of Christ.

Much love!

Reactions: GTW27

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I like this!

How do we maintain that state of abiding, so that we will remain walking?

Much love!
Thanks for your reply and further discussion, marks. Funny thing, last time while I was working on my response to your thread my dearest informed me of a financial arrangement with her sister that was not tracking seamlessly. This annoyed me as it meant my instructions had not been followed, and as I began to express my annoyance I was convicted of the need to conduct myself in a Christlike manner, and overrule the works of the flesh with the fruit of the Spirit. Patience won the day, all was forgiven, and the matter was soon resolved, but it serves to illustrate how easily the flesh rises up when self is on the throne.

I believe that to maintain the state of abiding in Christ and remain living and walking in the Spirit one of the things we need to do constantly is examine ourselves and what we profess, to assess whether our behaviour is that of a follower of Christ. Doing this leads me into confession, intercession, and thanksgiving. Truly the blood of Jesus cleanses from all sin. Paul went from being "the worst of sinners" to being the best of apostles. God is faithful to keep us in His love and mercy.
2 Cor 13:5
Examine yourselves, whether you be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know you not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except you be reprobates?

Last edited:

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Believe Jesus Christ as in trust Him to be your Good Shepherd and not just as your Saviour. He will help you to abide in Him & His words. Believe Him.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Galatians we read;

“having begun in the Spirit”.

So all one has to figure out is what the Galatians did at first, and a continuation of that would be walking, a continuation of that would be living in the Spirit.

So what did the Galatians do at first? The answer is self-evident in you. Be blessed as you learn and see and discover this truth by experience.....A truth no one can ever take away, a truth that itself will guide you into all truth...

When the morning star rises in the heart the heart will rejoice as never before..

Be blessed in Him, Not me

edit; you described it quite correctly, as it would play out in real life, in your other post, on the other thread, you just didn’t recognize it... as a thought.

The Galatians did not begin God's work in the Spirit since they are not the ones that are going to finish that work.

Galatians 3:1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

What happened at salvation has to continue in how we live this reconciled relationship with God thru Jesus Christ.

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Believe Jesus Christ as in trust Him to be your Good Shepherd and not just as your Saviour. He will help you to abide in Him & His words. Believe Him.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Galatians did not begin God's work in the Spirit since they are not the ones that are going to finish that work.
Nevertheless, they began in the Spirit, but defaulted back to Judaism, back to the works of the law. We read about works of the flesh in contrast to fruit of the Spirit. We do well if we abide in Christ and produce fruit of the Spirit. :)

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Galatians 3:1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

What happened at salvation has to continue in how we live this reconciled relationship with God thru Jesus Christ.

Be blessed as you continue to live “this reconciled relationship with God thru Christ Jesus”.

As He become more and we less..

In Christ, Not me

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nevertheless, they began in the Spirit, but defaulted back to Judaism, back to the works of the law. We read about works of the flesh in contrast to fruit of the Spirit. We do well if we abide in Christ and produce fruit of the Spirit. :)

So the how to abide in order to bear fruit is to believe Him to finish His work to His glory. It all depends on where your confidence rests in.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:...11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Be blessed as you continue to live “this reconciled relationship with God thru Christ Jesus”.

As He become more and we less..

In Christ, Not me

Since it is not I who live, but Christ Who lives in me and the life that I live, I live by faith in the Son of God Whom gave His life for me, then that is the only way I can follow Him when I trust Him to be my Good Shepherd & Friend.

Reactions: marks and Not me

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truly the blood of Jesus cleanses from all sin. Paul went from being "the worst of sinners" to being the best of apostles. God is faithful to keep us in His love and mercy.

1 Corinthians 15
9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

He is good, and His mercy endures forever!

Reactions: charity

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen!!!

Reactions: Enow

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since it is not I who live, but Christ Who lives in me and the life that I live, I live by faith in the Son of God Whom gave His life for me, then that is the only way I can follow Him when I trust Him to be my Good Shepherd & Friend.

Works for me!

“For the just shall live by faith”

A fellow servant of His, Not me

Reactions: Enow

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Enow,

I've come to believe that this is really all we need to do, that if we maintain our trust in God above all other considerations in life, then the walking in the Spirit is something that happens without additional effort.

That is, when I hold in my mind the knowledge, having believed His Word, that God is here with me, and that He loves me, and that He accepts me because of what Jesus did for me, and not for anything I do either good or bad, then I have a full confidence before God, and am empowered by Him to walk according to Him.

Much love!