Was Jesus a Jew ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inexplicable

Mar 22, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is widely assumed Jesus was a jew, but if Jesus was born of (immaculate conception) that means he wasn't from the line of Adam, although born from the womb of Mary, he also wasn't from the seed of Joseph and Mary being not their bloodline offspring. Therfore in the biological process of his birth would have bore no characteristics, hereditary or genetic traits of his Jewish earthly parents. In terms of (immaculate conception) that would place Jesus as being exclusive and unique to the human race, as he was truly GOD in the flesh.

I myself am a christian by faith believing in Jesus, and the bible being life changing wisdom. I understand this is irrelevant concerning salvation, but an interesting question open for debate.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
It is widely assumed Jesus was a jew, but if Jesus was born of (immaculate conception) that means he wasn't from the line of Adam, although born from the womb of Mary, he also wasn't from the seed of Joseph and Mary being not their bloodline offspring. Therfore in the biological process of his birth would have bore no characteristics, hereditary or genetic traits of his Jewish earthly parents. In terms of (immaculate conception) that would place Jesus as being exclusive and unique to the human race, as he was truly GOD in the flesh.

I myself am a christian by faith believing in Jesus, and the bible being life changing wisdom. I understand this is irrelevant concerning salvation, but an interesting question open for debate.
Why assume Jesus did not inherit his mother's genetic material?

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 1:30-33 . .You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are
to give him the name Jesus. The Lord God will give him the throne of his
father David

Before Jesus could be considered for David's throne, he first had to be
among David's biological descendants; no exceptions.

Ps 89:35-36 . . Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto
David. His seed shall endure forever, and his throne as the sun before me.

Ps 132:11 . .The Lord has sworn in truth unto David; and He will not turn
from it: "Of the fruit of your body will I set upon your throne."

The New Testament verifies that Jesus satisfies the biological requirement in
those Psalms.

Acts 2:29-30 . . Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the
patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulcher is with us
unto this day. Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn
with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he
would raise up Christ to sit on his throne.

Rom 1:1-3 . . Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David
according to the flesh

The Greek word for "seed" in that passage is sperma (sper'-mah) which is a
bit ambiguous because it can refer to spiritual progeny as well as to
biological progeny; for example:

Gal 3:29 . . If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed.

Abraham's seed in that verse obviously refers to spiritual progeny; whereas
David's seed in the passages above refers to biological progeny because
David's seed is 1) the fruit of his body and 2) of his loins according to the flesh.

So the question becomes not whether Jesus was a Jew, but whether David was.
_

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interestingly enough, Judaism is matrilinear, meaning Jewish decent is reckoned from the mother, not the father. As my Jewish friend explained it, while both Isaac and Ishmael were sons of Abraham, Isaac the son of Sarah is considered Jewish; Ishmael the son of Hagar the Egyptian is considered goyim. Chabad - Matrilinearity in Judaism

So, Jesus is Jewish via Mary.

Last edited:

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"Immaculate conception" refers to the conception of Mary (a Roman Catholic doctrine). The correct term for Jesus' coming is "virgin birth". He had no human father, but He did have a human mother and inherited His human nature from her. He would have had her DNA! So He was indeed Jewish.
If Jesus had simply been "planted" in Mary's womb without growing from one of the egg cells in her ovaries, He would have been divine but not human.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why assume Jesus did not inherit his mother's genetic material?
It’s an assumption either way since the inquiry is outside the text. Why assume the Creator of the Universe could generate human sperm but could not generate an already divinely fertilized egg?

I’ve heard it put this way. Think of Mary as a surrogate mother.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s an assumption either way since the inquiry is outside the text. Why assume the Creator of the Universe could generate human sperm but could not generate an already divinely fertilized egg?

Ah, the question, "Who is a Jew?" The Jewish people have been asking themselves that question for centuries. Did Jesus have the stereotypical Semitic nose? Inquiring minds want to know!

Being a mother is more than just DNA. Mary not only popped Him out of her womb; she was also His functional mother. Who do you think nursed Him and burped Him and changed His messy diapers? (Or whatever they used back before Pampers were invented.) Who raised Him as a Jew, having Him circumcised on the eighth day (Luke 2:21) and teaching Him to observe the Jewish holidays (Luke 2:21)? Mary was legally and functionally His mother, which is what counts in Matrilineage.

Now, if we just could find the Holy Grail, we could do DNA testing on it, if DNA could survive 2000 years. "Choose wisely."

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 1:31b . . you will conceive in your womb, and bear a son.

The Greek word translated "conceive" means exactly what it says. We're not
talking about a test tube baby here. The very same word is used at Luke
1:24 and Luke 1:36 in talking about Elizabeth's baby.

It's amazing the number of Christians that I encounter online who honestly
believe baby Jesus was an implant. i.e. that his mom was a surrogate
mother instead of his biological mother. But unless he is Mary's very own,
then baby Jesus would fail to qualify for David's throne per post No.4

Heb 7:14 . . For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah

Throughout the Bible, tribal affiliation has always been via the men. In the
absence of an immediate father, Mary's dad becomes Jesus' default
progenitor because he's the nearest male relative in Jesus' biological
genealogy.
_

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FAQ: From whence did baby Jesus obtain a Y chromosome for his male
gender?

REPLY: In the beginning, Eve's entire body-- inside and out, front to back,
top to bottom, and side to side --was constructed with material taken from
Adam's body. (Gen 2:21-22) So if God could construct an entire woman
from material taken from a man's body, then it shouldn't be too difficult for
Him to construct a teensy little chromosome from material taken from a
woman's body.

Seeing as how Eve is the mother of all women (Gen 3:20 & Acts 17:26) then
any material taken from Mary's body to construct a Y chromosome for baby
Jesus would be owed to Eve's body, and by construction; to Adam's body.

The beauty of it is that a Y chromosome constructed with material taken
from Mary's body wouldn't be an alien substance created ex nihilo; but
would be 100% natural, and easily traceable all the way back to Eve, and
from thence to Adam.

I sincerely believe that what I suggest herein actually took place when the
power of the Most High overshadowed Jesus' mom per Luke 1:35; and if my
suggestion is true, then little Jesus was thoroughly a Jew-- biologically
descended not only from David and Abraham as all other Jews, but also from
the Man that God created in the book of Genesis.

Heb 2:17 . . He had to be made like his brethren in every way.
_

Inexplicable

Mar 22, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"Immaculate conception" refers to the conception of Mary (a Roman Catholic doctrine). The correct term for Jesus' coming is "virgin birth". He had no human father, but He did have a human mother and inherited His human nature from her. He would have had her DNA! So He was indeed Jewish.
If Jesus had simply been "planted" in Mary's womb without growing from one of the egg cells in her ovaries, He would have been divine but not human.
I respectfully disagree, Mary was from the line of Adam, therfore her DNA carried sin inherited from Adam. Therfore Mary's human nature as you put it, would of carried sin in her egg cells resulting in Jesus being born with sin. But the Bible is clear about the (divine nature) of Jesus being conceived by the Holy Spirit in the womb of Mary, in that the true nature and identity of Jesus was that Jesus is fully God and fully man, and the fact of his incarnation is of utmost importance that he lived a human life but did not possess a sin nature.

I believe this scripture metaphorically gives us the answer. Gal 3:29, If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed.

I myself am a believer in Jesus christ therfore I'm from the seed of abraham (family of believers) but I am english born of english parents, therfore have no Jewish blood running through my veins.

• Love
Reactions: Johann and marks

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can’t be serious. The Bible traces lineage through the father.
Jewish people read the Bible too, you know. :eek:

(I used to listen to a radio program on one of the Miami stations put out by the Jewish Defense League. Loved the rhetoric. I remember the JDL spokesman lamenting his own people's lack of Torah study with the pithy line, "Apparently, Jews wrote the Bible so that Baptists could read it". Cracked me up.)

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, which is why I fact-checked it against both Wikipedia and Chabad, the latter being a very Jewish organization who ought to know how Jews define themselves.

The Code of Jewish Law clearly states that a child of a Jewish mother is Jewish, regardless of the father’s lineage (or whatever else may show up in a DNA test), while the child of a non-Jewish mother is not Jewish. Matrilineal descent has been a fundamental principle of Torah since the Jewish people came into existence.

So, by Jewish law, Jesus is Jewish.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Was Jesus a Jew ???​

We had a guest preacher one Sunday. Reverend Rodriguez was a Puerto Rican - American from the New York City melting pot. He told a story about the time when, as a teen, he got into some kind of a disagreement with a Jewish shopkeeper. The argument grew heated, and the young Rodriguez called the man a "Dirty Jew". Instead of getting angry, the shopkeeper looked sadly at Rodriguez and said quietly, "Son, do you know that your God is Jewish?"

This flabbergasted the young man, and when he got home, he asked his mother, "Mom, Mom! Mr. Goldberg said Jesus is Jewish! Is this true?"

His mother replied, "Of course not! Everyone knows Jesus is Puerto Rican!"

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yeshua was absolutely a Jew, in His flesh body, according to the Promise of God for the Salvation of the entire world.

He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11He came to His own = Jewish People

But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman(Jew named Mary), born under the law( Moses/Jew), to redeem those who were under the law(Jews), that we might receive the adoption as sons.

Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28And having come in, the angel said to her, “Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!”

29But when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and considered what manner of greeting this was. 30Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary(Jew), for you have found favor with God. 31And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus. 32He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David(Jew). 33And He will reign over the house of Jacob(Jew) forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.”

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Messiah, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jewish people read the Bible too, you know. :eek:

(I used to listen to a radio program on one of the Miami stations put out by the Jewish Defense League. Loved the rhetoric. I remember the JDL spokesman lamenting his own people's lack of Torah study with the pithy line, "Apparently, Jews wrote the Bible so that Baptists could read it". Cracked me up.)

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, which is why I fact-checked it against both Wikipedia and Chabad, the latter being a very Jewish organization who ought to know how Jews define themselves.

The Code of Jewish Law clearly states that a child of a Jewish mother is Jewish, regardless of the father’s lineage (or whatever else may show up in a DNA test), while the child of a non-Jewish mother is not Jewish. Matrilineal descent has been a fundamental principle of Torah since the Jewish people came into existence.

So, by Jewish law, Jesus is Jewish.
Yeshua coming into the world as a Jew supersedes Jewish Law and was later confirmed thru the Law.

Trivia Question of the Day = Who was the first Prophet to declare this?

Reactions: marks

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary was from the line of Adam, therfore her DNA carried sin inherited from Adam.

The very fact that Jesus wasn't immortal is proof enough that he too was
impacted by the forbidden fruit incident.

Rom 5:13 . .Sin entered the world through one man, and death through
sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned

In other words; Adam's sin doesn't come to us via our parents, rather. It
came to all men, all at once, in real time; the very instant that Adam stepped
over the line.

* Had Jesus not been crucified, he would've eventually died by some other
means, e.g. accident, crime, disease, and/or old age.
_

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I respectfully disagree, Mary was from the line of Adam, therfore her DNA carried sin inherited from Adam. Therfore Mary's human nature as you put it, would of carried sin in her egg cells resulting in Jesus being born with sin.
Sin isn't inherited through DNA - there's no "sin gene". Adam in his original state had all human DNA - when he sinned, he didn't acquire any extra! Sin is a spiritual inheritance, not a biological one.
I have to disagree with you (respectfully of course!) because to my mind, if Jesus didn't carry any human DNA then He wouldn't have been genuinely human - not truly "one of us". He would have only appeared to be human - which is a line of reasoning that in the past has led people into heresy.

Reactions: Moses_the_younger

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FAQ: Was Adam's sin a sin unto Hell?

REPLY: The appropriate punishment for Adam's mistake is simply mortality, viz; when people pass away, they're done with Adam's folly.

FAQ: If Jesus was a joint principal in Adam's act right along with the rest of humanity, then how can it be honestly said that he was a lamb without spot or blemish?

REPLY: According to John 8:29, 2Cor 5:21, Heb 4:15, and 1Pet 2:22, Jesus committed no sins of his own to answer for.
_

Inexplicable

Mar 22, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sin isn't inherited through DNA - there's no "sin gene, Sin is a spiritual inheritance, not a biological one.
I respectfully disagree. If sin isn't inherited through DNA (Adam's) then why does all mankind die, and if sin is a spiritual inheritance, not a biological one, we as christians now living according to the holy Spirit should all die, and all none christians not in the Spirit but still dead in the flesh should now live forever in their present bodys. On the contrary you seem to have the sin theory backwards, for scripture tells us, those that come to christ are born again of the Spirit and the flesh (DNA symbolically) is put to death crucified on the cross.

Therfore the flesh (biological) has passed over to the new (spiritual) and are a new creation in Christ with the promise of eternal live. But as you put it, if sin is a spiritual inheritance, not a biological one, that would put all christians now in the spirit to be of sin, and all none christians still in the flesh to not have sin.

Just a thought, if sin is not biologically inherited through DNA, how then do we account for those who are born of multiple deformities of body and mind.