Was Jesus a Jew ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because the sinful nature is passed down from the father, not the mother. Jesus is our kinsman redeemer, and as Deborah posted, needs to be related to us (by Mary) in order to die in our place. That is why in Genesis, God tells Eve that the Messiah will be the seed of the woman (not seed of the man, as all natural births are).
Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?

Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh.

For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

Jesus' body prepared by the Holy Spirit in the womb of Mary was made of the seed of Adam, by Abraham and David.

There is no sin in the soul nor the flesh of man created by Christ and lightened with His light coming into the world.

The only reason Jesus was born of a virgin was a sign of prophecy to mark His coming.

Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

It had nothing to do with the seed of man nor the flesh of the woman, wherein is the seed of man: Jesus' body was made by the Spirit of the seed of Adam in the flesh of Mary's womb.

I think this is also another reason why only males were to be circumcised - the sinful nature was understood as being passed down by the male, so even though females inherited a sinful nature via their fathers, they didn't pass it down
'Understood', meaning Jewish and now Christian tradition and fable, that is nowhere said in the Law of Moses, nor the doctrine of Christ.

Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

If Jesus' body were immortally different from our mortal bodies, then He would not be our example to follow. Not even Superman's, since his body is damaged by Kryptonite. ;)
(and hence didn't need an equivalent symbol for circumcision - removing this nature for their future offspring).
As with the virgin birth, circumcision was a covenant sign, that had nor has anything to do with cutting off of sin nature in natural tissue of flesh.

And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised.

As with Adam so with today, the natural body of man is formed by Christ from the dust of the earth. Adam was literally made from dust, and every person since is made from dusty flesh.

There's nothing sinful about natural dust, flesh, nor grass.

The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field.

For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away.

Just as grass is naturally made to wither mortally, so is all flesh on the earth made by Christ as in the beginning.

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am I gentile? Am I not of lost tribes of Israel. I'm not jew or gentile. God's Election are of Israel. Is Jesus a jew. Matthew chapter 1, generation of Jesus christ, its Anglo-saxons. Phares and Zara. After king zedekiah was taken to Babylon. Judah kingdom cease to exist. Jeremiah took two daughters of zedekiah and went to Spain and Ireland. The stone of Jacob is under coronation seat in west abbey, London England. Kings and queens are endowed by the coronation throne. Is England Jews??. Or Anglo-saxons. Was Jesus born in Africa. Of course not. It's silly. Luke 3:34. Which was son of Jacob, which was son of ISAAC, which was sons of abraham, which was son of Thara, which was son of Nachor. The Jews have never claimed to be seed of Isaac. This is the key. Lost sheep of Israel are of isaac, so is Jesus. Anna, woman of God, Luke chapter 3, was from tribe of Asher. Some of Israel was mixed in with the judah. Get the picture. When king Rehoboam set up calves in Bethel and dan, some of Israel went to judah. Is this sinking in. Once again, Anna, woman of God, was of tribe of Asher, in judah. Jesus was not jew. Jesus also dismissed the Talmud, Jewish traditions from the pharisees and elders. Jesus came from Galilee. What geographical location is Galliee. Galatians 4:28. Now we , brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. Let's understand this. The Jews were grafted out of the olive tree in romans chapter 11. Israel and gentiles are grafted in. I documented this. Israel is of Isaac. Not the Jews.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I tend to look at some things with a bit of cultural logic………We would all agree that Jesus went into the synagogues, he was often called ‘ rabbi ‘ and it would appear from scripture that at the right age he sat with the teachers …..now if he didn’t look like a Jew , would that have been allowed !
Where In scripture does it state that ‘ He didn’t resemble a Jew ‘ …
just saying, know it’s basis ………..

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tend to look at some things with a bit of cultural logic………We would all agree that Jesus went into the synagogues, he was often called ‘ rabbi ‘ and it would appear from scripture that at the right age he sat with the teachers …..now if he didn’t look like a Jew , would that have been allowed !
Where In scripture does it state that ‘ He didn’t resemble a Jew ‘ …
just saying, know it’s basis ………..
What does a Jew look like? The idea that all Jews have a similar physical appearance is nonsense.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What does a Jew look like? The idea that all Jews have a similar physical appearance is nonsense.
My point was about Jesus fitting in with the culture as he grew up - scripture doesn’t convey that he stood out as being any different to everyone else. Some here are suggesting he wasn’t genetically link to either of his parents.
I never said all Jews looked alike , but don’t you think that culturally there would have been similarities.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
My point was about Jesus fitting in with the culture as he grew up - scripture doesn’t convey that he stood out as being any different to everyone else. Some here are suggesting he wasn’t genetically link to either of his parents.
I never said all Jews looked alike , but don’t you think that culturally there would have been similarities.
and touched the hem of his garment; which was the ציצת, or "fringes", the Jews were obliged to wear upon the borders of their garments, and on it a ribband of blue; see Num_15:38 in both which places Onkelos uses the word כרוספדין, the same with κρασπεδον, used here, and in Mar_6:56 and rendered "hem".

The Jews placed much sanctity in the wear and use of these fringes; and the Pharisees, who pretended to more holiness than others, enlarged them beyond their common size; but it was not on account of any peculiar holiness in this part of Christ's garment, that induced this poor woman to touch it; but this being behind him, and more easy to be come at, she therefore laid hold on it; for it was his garment, any part of it she concluded, if she could but touch, she should have a cure. However, we learn from hence, that Christ complied with the rites of the ceremonial law in apparel, as well as in other things.
(x) Ib. Issure Bia, c. 6. sect. 7, 8. & in Misn. Nidda, c. 4. sect. 7.
Gill

And hinei! An isha (woman) hemorrhaging twelve years approached him from behind and touched the garment of Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach’s tzitzit.

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand the concept of cultural appearances.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
don't understand the concept of cultural appearances.

From the OP
“Therefore in the biological process of his birth would have bore no characteristics, hereditary or genetic traits of his Jewish earthly parents. response was linked to the OP”
I took this to mean he didn’t bear any resemblance to his parents , so how did he appear ?
My point was that Jesus must have looked like the people around him , and those around him were Jews .

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the OP
“Therefore in the biological process of his birth would have bore no characteristics, hereditary or genetic traits of his Jewish earthly parents. response was linked to the OP”
I took this to mean he didn’t bear any resemblance to his parents , so how did he appear ?
My point was that Jesus must have looked like the people around him , and those around him were Jews .
What do Jews look like?

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I respectfully disagree, Mary was from the line of Adam, therfore her DNA carried sin inherited from Adam. Therfore Mary's human nature as you put it, would of carried sin in her egg cells resulting in Jesus being born with sin. But the Bible is clear about the (divine nature) of Jesus being conceived by the Holy Spirit in the womb of Mary, in that the true nature and identity of Jesus was that Jesus is fully God and fully man, and the fact of his incarnation is of utmost importance that he lived a human life but did not possess a sin nature.

I believe this scripture metaphorically gives us the answer. Gal 3:29, If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed.

I myself am a believer in Jesus christ therfore I'm from the seed of abraham (family of believers) but I am english born of english parents, therfore have no Jewish blood running through my veins.
Do you have an issue with Jewish blood?

Yes, Jesus was a Jew.

Adam and Eve were not. Judaism did not begin with the creation of the world.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
From the OP

I respectfully disagree, Mary was from the line of Adam, therfore her DNA carried sin inherited from Adam. Therfore Mary's human nature as you put it, would of carried sin in her egg cells resulting in Jesus being born with sin. But the Bible is clear about the (divine nature) of Jesus being conceived by the Holy Spirit in the womb of Mary, in that the true nature and identity of Jesus was that Jesus is fully God and fully man, and the fact of his incarnation is of utmost importance that he lived a human life but did not possess a sin nature.

I believe this scripture metaphorically gives us the answer. Gal 3:29, If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed.

I myself am a believer in Jesus christ therfore I'm from the seed of abraham (family of believers) but I am english born of english parents, therfore have no Jewish blood running through my veins.
Well said--one of the posts I'll give a ten star rating.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's sometimes alleged that Jesus' mom was of the tribe of Levi because she
and the mother of John the Baptist were related.

Luke 1:5 . . In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named
Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth
was also a descendant of Aaron.

Aaron descended from Levi (Ex 4:14)

During dialogue with Jesus' mom, the angel Gabriel said:

"Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age" (Luke 1:36)

However: the two women weren't related thru Levi: rather, thru his mother
Leah due to her being the mother of both Levi and Judah. (Gen 25:23)

Had Jesus' mom descended from Levi, her little boy would've failed to qualify
as an heir in line for David's throne because all candidates must first of all
be one of Judah's descendants; no exceptions.

Gen 49:10 . .The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler's staff
from his descendants, until the coming of the one to whom it belongs, the
one whom all nations will obey. (cf. Dan 7:13-14
_