Was Jesus a spirit being before coming to earth as a human?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Jesus a spirit being before coming to earth?

• Total voters

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is God. The Word made flesh.

John 1:1-18
[1]In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
[2]The same was in the beginning with God.
[3]All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
[4]In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
[5]And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
[6]There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
[7]The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
[8]He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
[9]That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
[10]He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
[11]He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
[12]But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
[13]Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
[14]And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
[15]John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
[16]And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
[17]For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
[18]No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 8:58
[58]Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Jesus is God in flesh:

"Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and his name shall be called Emmanuel"
(which means, God with us). Matthew 1:23 RSV

How is God with us sir, physically? Or since the Bible reveals that no man can see God and live, was He with us by way of providing the means for life? John 3:16

The English language is a strange language Bob, as there are so many meanings and usages of words.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God was with Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit of God.

“And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭1:21-23‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

You can see when Jesus was baptized in the water by John that the holy spirit descended like a dove and rested upon Jesus.

Jesus was also the Word Of God. (John 1:1-18)

The soul inside of the Body of Jesus was the Logos of God. When you see Jesus die on the cross, he gave up the spirit and there was silence for three days afterwards the disciples thought everything was over then Yahweh/Jehovah rose the Lord Yeshua back up from the dead by the Holy Spirit.

“concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh, and declared to be the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭1:3-4‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Reactions: Rita and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How is God with us sir, physically? Or since the Bible reveals that no man can see God and live, was He with us by way of providing the means for life? John 3:16

The English language is a strange language Bob, as there are so many meanings and usages of words.

you must have an over active brain. Try moving into the Spirit …away from doubting everything , and start doing what the Bible tells us to do…Which is to live, walk , and dwell always IN THE SPIRIT , because that is where God dwells.
That is where He speaks to us , that is where the answers are.
You appear to be someone who believes that their calling is to try and undermine people’s faith.

You won’t get your answers by continuing to question things …try prayer and ‘waiting ‘ quietly on God Himself …

God bless you with a revelation of Himself .

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God was with Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit of God.

“And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭1:21-23‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

You can see when Jesus was baptized in the water by John that the holy spirit descended like a dove and rested upon Jesus.

Jesus was also the Word Of God. (John 1:1-18)

The soul inside of the Body of Jesus was the Logos of God. When you see Jesus die on the cross, he gave up the spirit and there was silence for three days afterwards the disciples thought everything was over then Yahweh/Jehovah rose the Lord Yeshua back up from the dead by the Holy Spirit.

“concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh, and declared to be the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭1:3-4‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

I always found it interesting that Jesus had limited use of God's holy spirit until his return to heaven Matt. For a long time I didn't even know that Acts 2:33. We also see one of the few times man actually got to hear God's own personal voice at Jesus' baptism when His spirit descended upon Jesus like a dove.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good point there and thank you for sharing, Robert.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you must have an over active brain. Try moving into the Spirit …away from doubting everything , and start doing what the Bible tells us to do…Which is to live, walk , and dwell always IN THE SPIRIT , because that is where God dwells.
That is where He speaks to us , that is where the answers are.
You appear to be someone who believes that their calling is to try and undermine people’s faith.

You won’t get your answers by continuing to question things …try prayer and ‘waiting ‘ quietly on God Himself …

God bless you with a revelation of Himself .

Under the Law covenant maam, God did send prophets, sometimes even angels to guide His people. But under the law of the Christ, Christians were fed through the disciples being sent forth, and at the congregation meetings where 2 or 3 or more gathered in Jesus' name under holy spirit. Since the appointed times of the nations ended, and we have entered into the last day period, the faithful slave now plays the dominant role in which Christians are fed through. This spiritual food is available through many avenues, but the disciples still have a heavy hand in teaching all the things Jesus commanded Helen. Mat 28:19,20 Isa 2:2,3; Mat 24:45-47 Nice meeting you maam.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Under the Law covenant maam, God did send prophets, sometimes even angels to guide His people. But under the law of the Christ, Christians were fed through the disciples being sent forth, and at the congregation meetings where 2 or 3 or more gathered in Jesus' name under holy spirit. Since the appointed times of the nations ended, and we have entered into the last day period, the faithful slave now plays the dominant role in which Christians are fed through. This spiritual food is available through many avenues, but the disciples still have a heavy hand in teaching all the things Jesus commanded Helen. Mat 28:19,20 Isa 2:2,3; Mat 24:45-47 Nice meeting you maam.

Sorry…I must disagree.

under the old law of sin and death , they had to hear through Moses and those set above them that were close to God , heard from Him , and so led the flock.

Under the law of the the spirit of life in Christ Jesus ( Rom 8) a door was open for direct communication and fellowship with the Father . Jesus restored the link and closed the gap between God and man.

Sorry brother , but whoever you have been listening to has sold you a bag of lemons.

“ In Him we live and move and have our being, “ in Him we live!

Jesus said - “ My Sheep hear My Voice ….” Not , my sheep must hear through someone else!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Jesus is God. The Word made flesh.

John 1:1-18
[1]In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
[2]The same was in the beginning with God.
[3]All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
[4]In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
[5]And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
[6]There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
[7]The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
[8]He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
[9]That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
[10]He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
[11]He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
[12]But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
[13]Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
[14]And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
[15]John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
[16]And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
[17]For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
[18]No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 8:58
[58]Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
@TLHKAJ The Incarnation is indeed a vital truth. A great, vital passage, and I see @Nancy and @Helen think so too...

Bruce Atkinson

Sep 25, 2021
Western MA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Farouk noted above that Jesus is God. And John 1:1-4 and 14 prove that conclusively.

Jesus also stated the He was God and that no one as ever seen the Father

John 5:37; 6:46; 8:38; 10:30 (KJV)
5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.
6:46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.
8:38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.
10:30 I and my Father are one.

Putting the verses from John together, one can only conclude that it is Jesus that has done all the talking from before 'In the beginning'. It is Jesus that SPOKE everything into existence! After all, HE is the Word! It is Jesus that WAS the burning bush. It was Jesus that spoke to the prophets in dreams, etc.

The Triune God is clearly proven as well:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. (KJV)

In 1:1, the Hebrew word translated as 'God' is the plural form. In verse 26, the use of 'us' and 'our' confirms Gods' plurality. And Jesus himself confirms that God is Triune in the Great Commission -

Matthew 28:19-20 (KJV)
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

So yes, Jesus WAS in the spirit before being born of a virgin...HE was there BEFORE the beginning of time!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. And having come in, the angel said to her, “Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!” But when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and considered what manner of greeting this was. Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.” Then Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I do not know a man?” And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God. Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren. For with God nothing will be impossible.” Then Mary said, “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭1:26-38‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you have scriptural evidence to support your viewpoint?
Before coming to earth Jesus was God the Word. Just as the Father and the Holy Spirit are divine spirit beings, the Word was also a spirit being within the Godhead. At the same time, since no man has seen God the Father at any time, it was God the Word (now the Lord Jesus Christ) who appeared to men. He appeared either as "the Word of God" or as "the Angel of the LORD" (YHWH). That the Angel of the LORD was none other than Jesus is seen in Exodus 3, where He also called Himself the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as well as "I AM". But since you do not believe that Jesus is God, you will either ignore every verse which says so, or you will try to twist the Scriptures.

In the New World Translation (NWT) of the Jehovah's Witnesses, they have literally created a false god by calling Jesus "a god" instead of God. So here is what we find in the King James Bible (John 1:1) and also what we find in the NWT.

KING JAMES BIBLE
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

NEW WORLD TRANSLATION

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

The Bible tells us very clearly that there is only one God and He is the one true God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). The NWT "a god" tells us that Jesus was one of the false gods (like the pagans have)! In view of this, absolutely nothing coming from the Watchtower Society has any credibility.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are tempting me once again Enoch.....nothing that you just said there is true when you look a little deeper than the KJV....the most inaccurate translation there is if you want to understand the Bible in modern English...(you know, the language people actually speak today)...isn't that the whole reason for translation?

From my studies over many years I have learned a great deal, having come from the place where you are now. It's amazing how far Christianity can stray from the teachings of Jesus Christ without even being aware of it....
unsure
Instead of getting your nose out of joint, why don't you just listen...?

Before coming to earth Jesus was God the Word. Just as the Father and the Holy Spirit are divine spirit beings, the Word was also a spirit being within the Godhead.
First of all there is no such word as "godhead" in the Bible.....that is a made-up word to try and promote the trinity in a very biased translation of the scriptures.

The word is "theotēs" and it appears only once here in this one verse. It is apparently derived from "theos" which is translated "god" in Greek.
The primary meaning of "theos" is "a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities".
It is not a word used exclusively for Yahweh. Others are called "theos" including Jesus and even satan.

So now we come to preconceived ideas overriding what the common usage of the original language is saying.

Colossians 2:8-10...NASB...
"See to it that there is no one who takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception in accordance with human tradition, in accordance with the elementary principles of the world, rather than in accordance with Christ.

For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over every ruler and authority".

Do you see the warning there...? The warning is about being "taken captive by the philosophy and empty deceptions" of man...accepting human traditions that can override scripture. The Jews fell prey to this.....and the same deceiver is also at work in the world today, hungry for more prey. (1 Peter 5:8)

So how do any of the trinitarians here know if Jesus ever taught that he was part of a "godhead" when even that concept was unknown in Judaism? It existed in paganism, but never in true worship.

Jesus never once called himself "God", but only ever said he was "the Son of God". Is it possible for Jesus as "the Son of God" to be the image of his God and a true reflection of his Father in all that he said and did, without actually being an equal with his God? No equality was ever claimed.

At the same time, since no man has seen God the Father at any time, it was God the Word (now the Lord Jesus Christ) who appeared to men.
Well, here is a very good example of why the KJV is not an accurate translation of the Bible. But you have to go back to the Greek to see how this deception is pulled off.....

John 1:1-3....
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being."(NASB)
At first glance that all seems very clear until you look at the Greek text from which it is translated.

The polytheistic Greeks had no word for the singular God of Israel because all of their gods had names, but Israel's God at that time was nameless, just referred to as Adonai (LORD) so in order to identify him (in the language of scripture at that time) they used the definite article "ho" (THE) so he was called "ho theos" (THE God) whilst other gods were just referred to as "theos" (without the definite article).

Now look at the Greek Interlinear and see what the KJV and most other translations omit in favor of their trinity....
"In en the beginning archē was eimi the ho Word logos, and kai the ho Word logos was eimi with pros · ho God theos, and kai the ho Word logos was eimi God theos."
That little word "ho" as you can see means "the".....and with reference to Yahweh it is "ho theos" (THE GOD) but with reference to Jesus (THE WORD) in the last part, it is minus the definite article....meaning that the Word is god-like or divine, but not "the God".

We use this terminology ourselves in English....if I told people that Brad Pitt was attending a gathering that I had organized, what is the first thing people might ask?....."not THE brad Pitt"? He would be the primary bearer of that name to most people, but certainly not the only person by that name.
"Theos" is a Greek term used to describe any "god-like" entity....true or false.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But now here's the kicker.....
John 1:18..."No one has seen God at any time; God the only Son, who is in the arms of the Father, He has explained Him." (NASB)

Look at this in the Greek....
"No one oudeis has horaō ever pōpote seen horaō God theos. The only monogenēs Son , himself God theos, the ho one who is eimi in eis the ho bosom kolpos of the ho Father patēr, he ekeinos has made him known exēgeomai.

As you can see in that statement..."No one has ever seen God"...but thousands of people saw Jesus.
The underlined words there (Son , himself God) do not exist in the Greek. That should read "the only begotten god"...."monogenes" means an only child" and "theos" is "god", so if "theos" is translated "Son" in verse 18, it should also be translated "son" in verse 1.....
"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with the God and the Word was the Son".

Verse 14 says it was the Word who became flesh, not "the God".
John 1:1 does not say in Greek what is translated biasedly into English. Verse 18 is therefore a travesty IMO.
palm

He also called Himself the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as well as "I AM". But since you do not believe that Jesus is God, you will either ignore every verse which says so, or you will try to twist the Scriptures.
No one twists the scripture more than the apostate church who first promoted this false teaching.
Where did Jesus ever call himself "the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob"?
And we have already discussed before....the falsely translated "I AM" is not the correct rendering of the divine name.

From the Jewish Tanakh...Exodus 3:13-15...Shouldn't Jews be the ones to interpret their own language?
"And Moses said to God, "Behold I come to the children of Israel, and I say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?" יגוַיֹּ֨אמֶר משֶׁ֜ה אֶל־הָֽאֱלֹהִ֗ים הִנֵּ֨ה אָֽנֹכִ֣י בָא֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ וְאָֽמַרְתִּ֣י לָהֶ֔ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י אֲבֽוֹתֵיכֶ֖ם שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם וְאָֽמְרוּ־לִ֣י מַה־שְּׁמ֔וֹ מָ֥ה אֹמַ֖ר אֲלֵהֶֽם:

14 God said to Moses, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)," and He said, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Ehyeh (I will be) has sent me to you.'" ידוַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֱלֹהִים֙ אֶל־משֶׁ֔ה אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה וַיֹּ֗אמֶר כֹּ֤ה תֹאמַר֙ לִבְנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה שְׁלָחַ֥נִי אֲלֵיכֶֽם:

15 And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation. טווַיֹּ֩אמֶר֩ ע֨וֹד אֱלֹהִ֜ים אֶל־משֶׁ֗ה כֹּ֣ה תֹאמַר֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ יְהֹוָ֞ה אֱלֹהֵ֣י אֲבֹֽתֵיכֶ֗ם אֱלֹהֵ֨י אַבְרָהָ֜ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִצְחָ֛ק וֵֽאלֹהֵ֥י יַֽעֲקֹ֖ב שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם זֶה־שְּׁמִ֣י לְעֹלָ֔ם וְזֶ֥ה זִכְרִ֖י לְדֹ֥ר דֹּֽר:"

https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/9864
"יְהֹוָ֞ה" is Yahweh, "the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob". His name means "I will be what I will be."
Jesus is not יְהֹוָ֞ה
Not once in all of scripture is Jesus called Yahweh.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In the New World Translation (NWT) of the Jehovah's Witnesses, they have literally created a false god by calling Jesus "a god" instead of God.
Sorry but the Greek and the Hebrew texts prove you wrong. This is the benefit of word studies....knowledge of which you come up way short. Please expand your knowledge.

The Bible tells us very clearly that there is only one God and He is the one true God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).
You are correct right up until the brackets.....These three are vital to the making of a disciple of Christ, but they are not one God with three heads.
You make God sound like conjoined triplets.
headslap

To the Jews, Yahweh was one. (Deuteronomy 6:4)

Please show me one single verse that says "God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit"...just one will do.

The NWT "a god" tells us that Jesus was one of the false gods (like the pagans have)! In view of this, absolutely nothing coming from the Watchtower Society has any credibility.
I think we know who has the pagan concept of three gods.....and it isn't us.
Credibility is based on proven facts...where are yours?

Not once have I referred to the NWT in this whole post.

You should do some study outside of your own church doctrine...you might actually learn something really important about the "weeds" that Jesus said we needed share the world with until he cleans it up. The devil is a clever deceiver, and he has had great success with those who are eager to swallow everything that they are spoon fed. We can't afford to be one of them.

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The same ground rules that applied to the people of God in order for them to discern between truth and error, are still valid as much today as they were before Jesus.
"To the law and to the testimony. If they speak not according to this word, there is no light in them".
If your life isn't in harmony with the law, and you reject the spirit of prophecy (which is the testimony of Jesus Revelation 19:10) why should we have regard to your teachings, or those of your church?

Reactions: Helen