Was Peter thr Rock that the Church was built upon?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Christ is the Rock not Peter,so therefore Peter cannot be the Rock of whom the Church is built... Bout to go to sleep now,will comment more later...

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
n2thelight;74613]Christ is the Rock not Peter said:
Correct, Jesus Christ is our RockIn the verse Mat 16:18, we have two types of "rock." the first, Peter = a (piece of) rock, the second, refering to Jesus is "a (mass of) rock." Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter (G4074), and upon this rock (G4073) I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Mat 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ. G4074Πέτρος, Petros, pet'-rosApparently a primary word; a (piece of) rock (larger than G3037); as a name, Petrus, an apostle: - Peter, rock. Compare G2786.G4073πέτρα, petra, pet'-ra, Feminine of the same as G4074; a (mass of) rock (literally or figuratively): - rock.Do not believe someone that will tell you the Church, the entire assembly of believers in Jesus Christ, was built on Peter, only a piece of rock.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said you two!The Greek is the key, unfortunately that subtle difference is not conveyed in our language. Peter is a movable rock in the sense of a boulder, our Lord and Savior cannot be moved!

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
St. Peter was the rock that Christ will build His Church on. Jesus never spoke Greek, which makes the Greek translation in error. Jesus had always spoken Aramic. The Aramic word for "rock" is Cephas. That is why in the Bible, St. Paul calls St. Peter "Cephas." He was using Peter's Aramic name. Therefore, when Jesus spoke to St. Peter in the language that He was speaking, this is what He said:Blessed are you, Simon Barjona. Because it was not flesh and blood that revealed this to you but my Father in heaven, so I now say to you: You are Peter (Cephas) and on this rock (Cephas), I will build my Church. In Aramic, there is only one word for "rock." And Aramic is the language that Jesus spoke.

Reactions: tom55

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Christ is the Rock God built his church on ..The church was not built on a man but the Son of God ....

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
Christina;74636 said:
Christ is the Rock God built his church on ..The church was not built on a man but the Son of God ....
The Bible specifically stated: So, now I say to you. You are Peter (Cephas) and on this rock (Cephas), I will build my church. (Matthew 16:18). And Christ said it in Aramic because that was the language He spoke, not Greek. :p

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
Christina;74636 said:
By the way, I forgot to mention that Christ the Rock is the Head of that Church that He established. St. Peter, whose name was also Rock and changed by Christ Himself, was the one to lead that Church. This explains why Christ gave St. Peter and only St. Peter the keys and told St. Peter and only St. Peter to take care of His entire flock (John 21:15-18).

path

Nov 9, 2008
jerryjohnson;74622]Correct said:
Peter (G4074)[/COLOR], and upon this rock (G4073) I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Mat 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ. G4074Πέτρος, Petros, pet'-rosApparently a primary word; a (piece of) rock (larger than G3037); as a name, Petrus, an apostle: - Peter, rock. Compare G2786. G4073πέτρα, petra, pet'-ra, Feminine of the same as G4074; a (mass of) rock (literally or figuratively): - rock. Do not believe someone that will tell you the Church, the entire assembly of believers in Jesus Christ, was built on Peter, only a piece of rock.
Good study JerryJohnson, our Rock is Jesus Christ! Others may follow the little piece of rock wherever they want but then they have been deluted for a long time. Someday they will find out.

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
path;74660]Good study JerryJohnson said:
Yes, except for one little thing. Jesus never spoke Greek. He spoke Aramic, and Aramic was translated into Greek. In Aramic, the word "Peter" and "rock" are exactly the same. It is Cephas.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
Actually I don't believe it was Peter or Jesus. I believe it was,Matthew 16:15-18 ( KJV ) He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I beileve it was the confession Peter made, "Thou art the Christ"I don't see how it could be Peter since Peter is a small stone and Rock is a massive one.

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
path;74664 said:
You may build your house on the sand (little rocks) if you want.
Your response here doesn't really dispute anything I said about Jesus speaking Aramic. Or perhaps, you believe that Jesus spoke Greek 2000 years ago?

path

Nov 9, 2008
[quote name='Diana;74667]Your response here doesn't really dispute anything I said about Jesus speaking Aramic. Or perhaps' date=' you believe that Jesus spoke Greek 2000 years ago?[/QUOTE'] So you do not believe God can take care of His Own Book. Butch and Diana, Let me ask you which manuscript you are reading from?

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
Butch5;74666]However said:
St. Matthew never translated it into Greek. It was later translated into Greek by someone else. When St. Matthew wrote his Gospel, he was writing it to the Jews to convert them to Christianity. Matthew's Gospel was meant for the Jews to read. St. Peter also spoke Aramic, not Greek.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
[quote name='Butch5;74665]Actually I don't believe it was Peter or Jesus. I believe it was' date='Matthew 16:15-18 ( KJV ) He saith unto them, [COLOR=Red']But whom say ye that I am? [/COLOR] And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I beileve it was the confession Peter made, "Thou art the Christ".[/QUOTE]This is the Correct answer.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
Diana;74663]Yes said:
However, Mathew originally wrote his gospel in Aramaic and later translated it to Greek. Why would he use the two different Greek words if he originally used the same word in Aramaic?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
If God had wanted it to say Peter is the rock he would have said it not used his name that just happens to mean rock ..I happen to agree with Martain and Butch on context of the verse... but reguardlessHe tells us he is our corner stone as well Diana and that is the first rock laid when a church is going to be built so he gives us a second/double wittness that he Jesus Christ is our Rock .... but I know you wont listen so you follow your rock and we will follow oursDeu 32:31For their rock [is] not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves [being] judges.
copyChkboxOff.gif
Deu 32:37And he shall say, Where [are] their gods, [their] rock in whom they trusted,

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
[quote name='Diana;74670]St. Matthew never translated it into Greek. It was later translated into Greek by someone else. When St. Matthew wrote his Gospel' date=' he was writing it to the Jews to convert them to Christianity. Matthew's Gospel was meant for the Jews to read. St. Peter also spoke Aramic, not Greek.[/QUOTE']You seem certain that Matthew never translated his gospel into Greek, can you supply some evidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.