1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Peter thr Rock that the Church was built upon?

Discussion in 'Christian Debate Forum' started by n2thelight, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n2thelight

n2thelight Member

Christ is the Rock not Peter,so therefore Peter cannot be the Rock of whom the Church is built... Bout to go to sleep now,will comment more later...

2. jerryjohnson

jerryjohnson New Member

3. HammerStone

HammerStone Well-Known Member Staff Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Well said you two!The Greek is the key, unfortunately that subtle difference is not conveyed in our language. Peter is a movable rock in the sense of a boulder, our Lord and Savior cannot be moved!

4. Diana

Diana New Member

tom55 likes this.
  5. Christina

Christina New Member

Christ is the Rock God built his church on ..The church was not built on a man but the Son of God ....

6. Diana

Diana New Member

The Bible specifically stated: So, now I say to you. You are Peter (Cephas) and on this rock (Cephas), I will build my church. (Matthew 16:18). And Christ said it in Aramic because that was the language He spoke, not Greek. :p

7. Moses

Moses New Member

Thank you Christina! Moses

8. Diana

Diana New Member

By the way, I forgot to mention that Christ the Rock is the Head of that Church that He established. St. Peter, whose name was also Rock and changed by Christ Himself, was the one to lead that Church. This explains why Christ gave St. Peter and only St. Peter the keys and told St. Peter and only St. Peter to take care of His entire flock (John 21:15-18).

9. path

path New Member

Good study JerryJohnson, our Rock is Jesus Christ! Others may follow the little piece of rock wherever they want but then they have been deluted for a long time. Someday they will find out.

10. Diana

Diana New Member

11. path

path New Member

12. Butch5

Butch5 Butch5

13. Butch5

Butch5 Butch5

-----------

14. Diana

Diana New Member

Your response here doesn't really dispute anything I said about Jesus speaking Aramic. Or perhaps, you believe that Jesus spoke Greek 2000 years ago?

15. path

path New Member

[quote name='Diana;74667]Your response here doesn't really dispute anything I said about Jesus speaking Aramic. Or perhaps' date=' you believe that Jesus spoke Greek 2000 years ago?[/QUOTE'] So you do not believe God can take care of His Own Book. Butch and Diana, Let me ask you which manuscript you are reading from?

16. Diana

Diana New Member

17. Martin W.

Martin W. New Member

[quote name='Butch5;74665]Actually I don't believe it was Peter or Jesus. I believe it was' date='Matthew 16:15-18 ( KJV ) He saith unto them, [COLOR=Red']But whom say ye that I am? [/COLOR] And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I beileve it was the confession Peter made, "Thou art the Christ".[/QUOTE]This is the Correct answer.

18. Butch5

Butch5 Butch5

19. Christina

Christina New Member

If God had wanted it to say Peter is the rock he would have said it not used his name that just happens to mean rock ..I happen to agree with Martain and Butch on context of the verse... but reguardlessHe tells us he is our corner stone as well Diana and that is the first rock laid when a church is going to be built so he gives us a second/double wittness that he Jesus Christ is our Rock .... but I know you wont listen so you follow your rock and we will follow oursDeu 32:31For their rock [is] not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves [being] judges. [​IMG]Deu 32:37And he shall say, Where [are] their gods, [their] rock in whom they trusted,

20. Butch5

Butch5 Butch5

[quote name='Diana;74670]St. Matthew never translated it into Greek. It was later translated into Greek by someone else. When St. Matthew wrote his Gospel' date=' he was writing it to the Jews to convert them to Christianity. Matthew's Gospel was meant for the Jews to read. St. Peter also spoke Aramic, not Greek.[/QUOTE']You seem certain that Matthew never translated his gospel into Greek, can you supply some evidence?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.