Was Sodom and Gomorrah a foretelling of Isreals demise?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many facts of burning and destruction, relating within the Gospel narrsatives from Jesus to the Apostles of a time where the elements of the earth and heaven (administration they knew) which would burn up, this would be their economy at the time which in 70Ad was burned down to the ground.

“And two of the messengers come towards Sodom at even, and Lot is sitting at the gate of Sodom, and Lot seeth, and riseth to meet them, and boweth himself — face to the earth, and he saith, ‘Lo, I pray you, my Lords, turn aside, I pray you, unto the house of your servant, and lodge, and wash your feet — then ye have risen early and gone on your way;’ and they say, ‘Nay, but in the broad place we do lodge.’ And he presseth on them greatly, and they turn aside unto him, and come in unto his house; and he maketh for them a banquet, and hath baked unleavened things; and they do eat. Before they lie down, the men of the city — men of Sodom — have come round about against the house, from young even unto aged, all the people from the extremity; and they call unto Lot and say to him, ‘Where [are] the men who have come in unto thee to-night? bring them out unto us, and we know them.’ And Lot goeth out unto them, to the opening, and the door hath shut behind him, and saith, ‘Do not, I pray you, my brethren, do evil; lo, I pray you, I have two daughters, who have not known any one; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do to them as [is] good in your eyes; only to these men do not anything, for therefore have they come in within the shadow of my roof.’ And they say, ‘Come nigh hither;’ they say also, ‘This one hath come in to sojourn, and he certainly judgeth! now, we do evil to thee more than [to] them;’ and they press against the man, against Lot greatly, and come nigh to break the door. And the men put forth their hand, and bring in Lot unto them, into the house, and have shut the door; and the men who [are] at the opening of the house they have smitten with blindness, from small even unto great, and they weary themselves to find the opening. And the men say unto Lot, ‘Whom hast thou here still? son-in-law, thy sons also, and thy daughters, and all whom thou hast in the city, bring out from this place; for we are destroying this place, for their cry hath been great [before] the face of Jehovah, and Jehovah doth send us to destroy it.’ And Lot goeth out, and speaketh unto his sons-in-law, those taking his daughters, and saith, ‘Rise, go out from this place, for Jehovah is destroying the city;’ and he is as [one] mocking in the eyes of his sons-in-law. And when the dawn hath ascended, then the messengers press upon Lot, saying, ‘Rise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters who are found present, lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city.’ And he lingereth, and the men lay hold on his hand, and on the hand of his wife, and on the hand of his two daughters, through the mercy of Jehovah unto him, and they bring him out, and cause him to rest without the city. And it cometh to pass when he hath brought them out without, that he saith, ‘Escape for thy life; look not expectingly behind thee, nor stand thou in all the circuit; to the mountain escape, lest thou be consumed.’ And Lot saith unto them, ‘Not [so], I pray thee, my Lord; lo, I pray thee, thy servant hath found grace in thine eyes, and thou dost make great thy kindness which thou hast done with me by saving my life, and I am unable to escape to the mountain, lest the evil cleave [to] me, and I have died; lo, I pray thee, this city [is] near to flee thither, and it [is] little; let me escape, I pray thee, thither, (is it not little?) and my soul doth live.’ And he saith unto him, ‘Lo, I have accepted thy face also for this thing, without overthrowing the city [for] which thou hast spoken; haste, escape thither, for I am not able to do anything till thine entering thither;’ therefore hath he calleth the name of the city Zoar. The sun hath gone out on the earth, and Lot hath entered into Zoar, and Jehovah hath rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from Jehovah, from the heavens; and He overthroweth these cities, and all the circuit, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which is shooting up from the ground. And his wife looketh expectingly from behind him, and she is — a pillar of salt! And Abraham riseth early in the morning, unto the place where he hath stood [before] the face of Jehovah; and he looketh on the face of Sodom and Gomorrah, and on all the face of the land of the circuit, and seeth, and lo, the smoke of the land went up as smoke of the furnace. And it cometh to pass, in God's destroying the cities of the circuit, that God remembereth Abraham, and sendeth Lot out of the midst of the overthrow in the overthrowing of the cities in which Lot dwelt.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭19‬:‭1‬-‭29‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many facts of burning and destruction, relating within the Gospel narrsatives from Jesus to the Apostles of a time where the elements of the earth and heaven (administration they knew) which would burn up, this would be their economy at the time which in 70Ad was burned down to the ground.

“And two of the messengers come towards Sodom at even, and Lot is sitting at the gate of Sodom, and Lot seeth, and riseth to meet them, and boweth himself — face to the earth, and he saith, ‘Lo, I pray you, my Lords, turn aside, I pray you, unto the house of your servant, and lodge, and wash your feet — then ye have risen early and gone on your way;’ and they say, ‘Nay, but in the broad place we do lodge.’ And he presseth on them greatly, and they turn aside unto him, and come in unto his house; and he maketh for them a banquet, and hath baked unleavened things; and they do eat. Before they lie down, the men of the city — men of Sodom — have come round about against the house, from young even unto aged, all the people from the extremity; and they call unto Lot and say to him, ‘Where [are] the men who have come in unto thee to-night? bring them out unto us, and we know them.’ And Lot goeth out unto them, to the opening, and the door hath shut behind him, and saith, ‘Do not, I pray you, my brethren, do evil; lo, I pray you, I have two daughters, who have not known any one; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do to them as [is] good in your eyes; only to these men do not anything, for therefore have they come in within the shadow of my roof.’ And they say, ‘Come nigh hither;’ they say also, ‘This one hath come in to sojourn, and he certainly judgeth! now, we do evil to thee more than [to] them;’ and they press against the man, against Lot greatly, and come nigh to break the door. And the men put forth their hand, and bring in Lot unto them, into the house, and have shut the door; and the men who [are] at the opening of the house they have smitten with blindness, from small even unto great, and they weary themselves to find the opening. And the men say unto Lot, ‘Whom hast thou here still? son-in-law, thy sons also, and thy daughters, and all whom thou hast in the city, bring out from this place; for we are destroying this place, for their cry hath been great [before] the face of Jehovah, and Jehovah doth send us to destroy it.’ And Lot goeth out, and speaketh unto his sons-in-law, those taking his daughters, and saith, ‘Rise, go out from this place, for Jehovah is destroying the city;’ and he is as [one] mocking in the eyes of his sons-in-law. And when the dawn hath ascended, then the messengers press upon Lot, saying, ‘Rise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters who are found present, lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city.’ And he lingereth, and the men lay hold on his hand, and on the hand of his wife, and on the hand of his two daughters, through the mercy of Jehovah unto him, and they bring him out, and cause him to rest without the city. And it cometh to pass when he hath brought them out without, that he saith, ‘Escape for thy life; look not expectingly behind thee, nor stand thou in all the circuit; to the mountain escape, lest thou be consumed.’ And Lot saith unto them, ‘Not [so], I pray thee, my Lord; lo, I pray thee, thy servant hath found grace in thine eyes, and thou dost make great thy kindness which thou hast done with me by saving my life, and I am unable to escape to the mountain, lest the evil cleave [to] me, and I have died; lo, I pray thee, this city [is] near to flee thither, and it [is] little; let me escape, I pray thee, thither, (is it not little?) and my soul doth live.’ And he saith unto him, ‘Lo, I have accepted thy face also for this thing, without overthrowing the city [for] which thou hast spoken; haste, escape thither, for I am not able to do anything till thine entering thither;’ therefore hath he calleth the name of the city Zoar. The sun hath gone out on the earth, and Lot hath entered into Zoar, and Jehovah hath rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from Jehovah, from the heavens; and He overthroweth these cities, and all the circuit, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which is shooting up from the ground. And his wife looketh expectingly from behind him, and she is — a pillar of salt! And Abraham riseth early in the morning, unto the place where he hath stood [before] the face of Jehovah; and he looketh on the face of Sodom and Gomorrah, and on all the face of the land of the circuit, and seeth, and lo, the smoke of the land went up as smoke of the furnace. And it cometh to pass, in God's destroying the cities of the circuit, that God remembereth Abraham, and sendeth Lot out of the midst of the overthrow in the overthrowing of the cities in which Lot dwelt.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭19‬:‭1‬-‭29‬ ‭YLT98‬‬
Dear MatthewG,
The story of Sodom and Gomorrah is a "type" for the judgment of the Elect in this age. The story of Noah is also a "type" for the judgment of the Elect.

Do you understand what their "types" teach?

Joe

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Was Sodom and Gomorrah a foretelling of Isreals demise?"

Sounds more like America.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, pictures and types are something incorperated, not sure if it is for this age though. Have been reading through Matthew 1-15 the past two days and it would seem the age and generation was the judgment of faithless isreal, jesus said he found more faith in a roman solider than all of isreal.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by God probably with a meteor.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, pictures and types are something incorperated, not sure if it is for this age though. Have been reading through Matthew 1-15 the past two days and it would seem the age and generation was the judgment of faithless isreal, jesus said he found more faith in a roman solider than all of isreal.
Dear MatthewG:
The "types" are for the Elect:

1Cor 10:11 Now all these things happened to them as types, and have been written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come.

Paul is referring to the Old Testament "fathers". All the strange events which happened to them are physical types which teach spiritual truths which are fulfilled under the New Covenant.

One of the greatest stumbling blocks for believers is not understanding that scripture must be "rightly divided" by the Old and New Covenants.

The Old Covenant was based solely on man's works of trying to follow the Law. It is outward and physical.

The New Covenant is completely different. It is solely based upon the works of Christ. It is inward and spiritual.

When Christ appeared in the flesh, He was under the Old Covenant. His work was outward and physical. When He died at the cross, He fulfilled the Old Covenant prophecies which applied to His time in the flesh. However, upon His resurrection from the grave, His spiritual work under the New Covenant began. He is no longer doing any outward and physical works in this world. 100% of His works are now spiritual works and they happen within a person.

To understand the teachings of Christ in the New Testament, those teachings must be understood spiritually. Those teachings include all the parables and all the end-time prophecies. Supporting those parables and prophecies are the Old Testament "types". The "types" and the parables & prophecies teach the same spiritual messages and they are fulfilled spiritually within the Elect. They are not fulfilled out in the world where mankind can witnesses them with physical eyes.

The story of Sodom and Gomorrah is one of those "types" which teaches a spiritual message which is being spiritually fulfilled within the Elect.

I have a detailed teaching of what the "type" teaches but it is too long for a forum post. It can be found in my paper "The Day of the Lord" on my website www.greatmysteryofChrist.com

Essentially, the type teaches the judgment of the Elect which occurs after they have received the Latter Rain and are "born again" as a child of God. And that is why Christ mentions this "type" in His end-time teachings. They teach the same message which is spiritually fulfilled by the Elect, whom the "ends of the ages have come".

If a believer does not experience the "type" taught by Sodom and Gomorrah and the end-time teachings of Christ before they die, they are not going to be saved in this age.

Joe

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Joe,

There are pictures and types all throughout the Bible. I am not interested in going to your website and thank you for taking such time to write. From my perspective there was an elect group which was the First-bride of Christ; that was saved during the great day of the Lord, which was for them in that generation and age which was the Jewish age (or Jewish Heaven and Earth - Economy that was destroyed) and not is the Heavenly Jerusalem above where people are adopted into the Kingdom by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, following him being spiritually born again, or spiritually made alive by and through his death, burial, and resurrection. As I stated prior, I still do not believe it pertains to this age - today.

All a person would need to do is sit down, start with Matthew, and read about 15 chapters, to come to a conclusion (if that is they have a bible that lets them know that world - doesn't mean 'the whole earth - but the age and economy at the time, though it is up for people to freely choose what they decide for themselves.

I also am not sure if everything you say is true or if it is not true. Ill leave it up to speculation.

Thank you.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You know, maybe that is true but Idk for sure, could have been from a nearby volcano. I can tell that from history reports, the Dead Sea is considered to be the local area were Sodom and Gomorrah used to stand, at least in speculation.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Was Sodom and Gomorrah a foretelling of Isreals demise?"

Sounds more like America.

It depends on how one looks at their own country. It is amazing the freedom America allows people to have.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, maybe that is true but Idk for sure, could have been from a nearby volcano. I can tell that from history reports, the Dead Sea is considered to be the local area were Sodom and Gomorrah used to stand, at least in speculation.
They were vaporized from above, clearly a meteor. They were turned into pillars of salt. The body is mostly salt without the water.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They were vaporized from above, clearly a meteor. They were turned into pillars of salt. The body is mostly salt without the water.
Maybe it was, I can't say for sure cause I do not know. It is interesting though, that people believe the dead sea is where the remains are. Thank you for sharing with me.

Reactions: dev553344

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

There is no hole found there.

But there is this large foundation of a long ago city, that has black ash in the rock., from the burning and the HEAT of God's Judgement

Reminds you of Nagasaki and Hiroshima , when the A-Bomb hit them and burned images of Humans into the sidewalks, like shadows.
This is not a myth.

See, people don't realize that God's HOLINESS< makes the SUN seem like an iceberg, with regards to heat.
Christians are so caught up in "God is LOVE" that they dont realize that God is HOLY !

Its also a "end times" reality that this type of perverted sexuality, will be again "world wide", accepted, as it was in Noah's Day, that caused God to Judge, the earth.

This is a sign of the times, we are in....

Just look around.....

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It depends on how one looks at their own country. It is amazing the freedom America allows people to have.
God will hold us accountable according to the knowledge about Him we have. America is flooded with Bibles and 'Christianity'. America is unique and in DEEP trouble.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
America has been blessed to be able to have a bible to be able to distribute, I dont care much for politics anyway (if that is what some people digress on). I could care on those notions,, but not my style, glad to live in this country.

Jesus Christ has blessed all nations, and individuals are the ones whom must choose to serve God or not.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 3:8 – “The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: 'All nations will be blessed through you. '”

May God bless you @Jack.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 3:8 – “The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: 'All nations will be blessed through you. '”

May God bless you @Jack.
Have you been to Haiti, Africa and many other nations who live in TERROR and poverty?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's up to you, if you believe if that scripture is true or not.

There are people in those places, assuredly looking towards God in faith, and are blessed for doing so.

@Jack. Therefore, I believe it is true, and all nations have been blessed.

Im glad sin has been taken care of, but of course spiritual death, violence, rape, murder, hatred, greed, all go on in the soul of humanity, but some hearts are changed when they come into a live interaction with the living God by the spirit, being made spiritually alive.

(so I dont subscribe to that agenda most would go on about those types of things; it is futile and fruitless.)