Was this the Holy Spirits doing?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So me and my mother have our own Bible study each day or most days of the week, and today it was all about repentance and Godly sorrow vs worldly sorrow. Well, for some reason, i was trying to think of a scenario that could explain what repentance is. I thought of her and my father back in their earlier days.

So we walked thru what repentance looks like. My mother had always thought confessing the sin was repentance. So she hadnt ever made a decision to stop lying to my father, she would just confess when she had lied. I told her repentance meant that you also had to stop lying to him. We have both made excuses for our lying to him by saying how difficult life was when he was mad. And so we both realized we feared him more than God for most of our lives. We had never thought about this. Was this the Holy Spirits work in us?? Is this how He works??

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So me and my mother have our own Bible study each day or most days of the week, and today it was all about repentance and Godly sorrow vs worldly sorrow. Well, for some reason, i was trying to think of a scenario that could explain what repentance is. I thought of her and my father back in their earlier days.

So we walked thru what repentance looks like. My mother had always thought confessing the sin was repentance. So she hadnt ever made a decision to stop lying to my father, she would just confess when she had lied. I told her repentance meant that you also had to stop lying to him. We have both made excuses for our lying to him by saying how difficult life was when he was mad. And so we both realized we feared him more than God for most of our lives. We had never thought about this. Was this the Holy Spirits work in us?? Is this how He works??

It sounds like it was indeed through the Holy Spirit that you came to this together, blessed be God. It is an example of how He works.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Repentance is about what we need to stop doing. The Scripture clearly says that no liars will enter the kingdom of God. Repentance involves confession for sure, but it is not complete until we forsake the sin we are confessing, otherwise the confession is just chin music. Fear is one of the fiery darts of the enemy. But we have the shield of faith to quench the fiery darts. Therefore, in your case, using your faith in Christ to forsake the lying and to stand on truth, will bring God's protection for you. The Scripture says that God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love, power, and a sound mind. The fear of God is not a terror, but an intense respect for Him that we would not want to do anything that would dishonour Him. When we do fall off the wagon of righteous living, it is the respect we have for God that makes us feel like something the cat dragged in. Some are sorry because they are caught in their sin. Godly sorrow is mourning because we have failed God even though we are never caught, but are aware that no secrets are hidden from Him.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It sounds like it was indeed through the Holy Spirit that you came to this together, blessed be God. It is an example of how He works.

if the Holy Spirit did this for us, could this mean that we are actually saved?? Does the Holy Spirit do this for anyone, or just the saved?

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if the Holy Spirit did this for us, could this mean that we are actually saved?? Does the Holy Spirit do this for anyone, or just the saved?

It at minimum means that God is desirous of your salvation and is giving you guys grace to come to Him. God calls all to repentance, whether or not they will be saved or not, for He is just and will never condemn without a warning, but the call to repentance comes with grace to repent, because He is loving and will never command an impossibility.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

To me, repent means to have a change of mind, a change of heart. When I realize how much my sin has hurt my Father, it causes me grief! My sinning still hurts Him. Probably because He knows it hurts me. He loves me so much and I don't want to do that to Him anymore.
Now, I understand repentance is a process and that He doesn't want us to fall under condemnation, I just want to cooperate with Him. I became teachable, willing to discard all of my preconceived ideas and prior doctrines, if necessary.
If for whatever reason, I wasn't willing to change in an area, I then became willing to be made willing. I'm a work in progress.

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A life changing experience is what happens when the Holy Spirit comes in, and the spirit of Christ comes in, by faith and believing. Repentance itself is a change of mind. For unbelievers repentance is when they say there is not a God into They say they now believe in God.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A life changing experience is what happens when the Holy Spirit comes in, and the spirit of Christ comes in, by faith and believing. Repentance itself is a change of mind. For unbelievers repentance is when they say there is not a God into They say they now believe in God.

The Repentance That Saves a man is illustrated by the story that Jesus spoke of—— The sinful tax collector that became remorseful and cried out, “ God , have Mercy on me, a Sinner”...... the Key to Christianity is seeing that you are a Sinner that needs a Savior ( the Conviction Of The Holy Spirit) and then Turning to that Savior, Christ Jesus....
That “ Turning” is the type of Repentance that God demands.....” Turn to me and I will turn to you”

Reactions: MatthewG

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Believing in God is smarter than “ not” believing in God....unfortunately , that insight won’t get you Saved....
Believing that Jesus died for your sins and rose from the grave—— THAT will save you.....read 1Cor15:1-4....