Watch out for angels

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am surprised at a current story on CBN news about a Jewish woman who was saved after an angel preached the gospel and witnessed Jesus to her over a long period of time.

Some how if an angel is mentioned it is assumed it is from God. Any phenomenon that directs attention to the away from the savior is not from God. Period. The woman Alyse Merritt, has written a book about this. I don't buy it.

The angels desire to look into these things but are not called to preach. All that glitters is not from God.

Exerpt from testimony;

"A man who was literally about seven feet tall with piercing blue eyes one day came in. He had a white Bible that was huge. It was about the size of a family Bible and he started telling me the gospel from this Bible and that Jesus was actually Jewish," she shared. "For the first time in my life I was told that Jesus was a Jewish savior and that he was my Messiah."

She says she would see this man in random places as she was about town, and over some months, she chose to put her faith in Jesus due to his message.

She wanted to tell this man who had witnessed to her that she had accepted Christ, but when she tried to contact him or find him, he was nowhere to be found. It was as though he never existed.

Some time later, Merritt was at the home of a Christian friend and she saw a painting of the man on the wall of the friend’s home.

"Where did you get this picture? Who painted this?" Merritt asked her friend.

"She and her husband proceeded to tell me that that was an angel that her friend had witnessed when she was on her deathbed. A seven-foot angel appeared to her and said Jesus was going to heal her... She described him as being seven feet tall, with piercing blue eyes.”

Merritt believes this man was an angel sent by God to bring her to faith in Him.

It all sounds wonderful... But where is the scriptural basis? On the shelf for me.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Frank Lee
I am mixed about this...I'm kind of 50/50 on it.

I always remember " Woe unto him who calls evil good and good for evil."
I don't know enough about it all to make a clear judgement or discern clearly.
Let us know if you hear any more on it. :)

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the shelf for me. I don't have to judge everything. I just set it aside. Leave it with the Lord. I just find no precedent in the Bible for angels preaching the gospel. I pray that all is well in her spiritual life. Anen

Reactions: Helen

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scriptural basis?

Does everything have to have scriptural basis?
I am in so much trouble then, because nowhere have I ever read
the word pizza in scripture.

Why limit things wonderful and new that God
can bring us in so so so many different ways?
General question...

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just find no precedent in the Bible for angels preaching the gospel. I pray that all is well in her spiritual life. Anen
In the book of Revelations, In the great tribulations there are angels flying in mid heaven preaching the gospel. but I don't think they are doing it now.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the shelf for me. I don't have to judge everything. I just set it aside. Leave it with the Lord. I just find no precedent in the Bible for angels preaching the gospel. I pray that all is well in her spiritual life. Anen

Well, I don't understand why you have a problem with an angel of all things preaching the gospel to someone. There is a reason why they are called "ministering spirits". You don't really think they are all up there just sitting around on their hands doing nothing do you? We all know of the verse that speaks of us "entertaining angels unaware", and I think this is a classic case of one.

(Hebrews 1:12-14) "And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail. {13} But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? {14} Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?"

(Galatians 1:6-9) "I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: {7} Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. {8} But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. {9} As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed."

From this verse, I think we can safely assume that angels can preach the gospel. Paul wouldn't have mentioned them otherwise if this wasn't true. And as pompadour pointed out, God sends an angel to preach the gospel to the world before the seven vials judgement in Revelation.

(Revelation 14:6-7) "And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, {7} Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters."

I don't recall there being a verse stating that they can't spread the gospel, only that they, like any human be accursed if what they preach is a false gospel. With the state that the churches and the whole body of believers are in, I wouldn't be surprised at all if God decided not to simply leave it up to us to carry out the great commission. The gospel gets spread no matter what, be they by human or angel.

Reactions: pompadour

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An "angel" told Mohammed a different gospel. Also Joseph Smith. There is not one instance of an angel "preaching" in the new testament. Too much emphasis on angels today. And I believe they're here. How much time are angels given in the entire new testament. It's best to not go looking for experiences. Everyone else can do as they may. I keeping my attention on the savior.

Reactions: Pisteuo

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An "angel" told Mohammed a different gospel. Also Joseph Smith. There is not one instance of an angel "preaching" in the new testament. Too much emphasis on angels today. And I believe they're here. How much time are angels given in the entire new testament. It's best to not go looking for experiences. Everyone else can do as they may. I keeping my attention on the savior.

An instance of one preaching it is irrelevant. What actually matters is that there isn't a verse stating that they don't. Instead, we get verses strongly suggesting they do, with one in Revelation clearly stating they WILL, if not already.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I remember someone years ago mention they prayed to be able to see an angel, rather it was for themselves or another I don't recall. The prayer was answered, the person witnessed a demon around the head of some homeless guy. I don't think they got what they expected.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the book of Revelations, In the great tribulations there are angels flying in mid heaven preaching the gospel. but I don't think they are doing it now.

Good point.

Revelation 14:6-7 KJV
[6] And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, [7] Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well I would say that the angels who appeared to the shepherds at the birth were indeed "preaching the gospel. Gospel = meaning..the GOOD NEWS.

Luke 2:14
"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

And also more angelic "Good News" (= gospel) “Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.”
:)

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I would say that the angels who appeared to the shepherds at the birth were indeed "preaching the gospel. Gospel = meaning..the GOOD NEWS.

Luke 2:14
"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

And also more angelic "Good News" (= gospel) “Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.”
:)

Well there you go. :D

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dcopymope . Thanks for posting the ch and v. that I quoted from. I have read the Bible, but not good at finding ch and v. I quote from.

From this verse, I think we can safely assume that angels can preach the gospel. Paul wouldn't have mentioned them otherwise if this wasn't true. And as pompadour pointed out, God sends an angel to preach the gospel to the world before the seven vials judgement in Revelation.

(Revelation 14:6-7) "And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, {7} Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters."

Reactions: Dcopymope

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't that a different time? Who preached to us, angel or man?

The main thing is it must not be another gospel.

Galatians 1:8-9 KJVS
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Then Paul repeats his words ;

[9] As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

JMO but I see no angels preaching to men in the NT, only Jesus and the disiples/apostles preaching to other men.

What they preach whoever they are tells the tale. Both Mohammed and Joseph Smith received their "revelations" from angels and per Paul's words stand "accursed".

Know your bible and you won't be deceived.

The angel Gabriel came and told Mary that she was to be with child but even he did not preach the gospel to her. He also went to Zacharias to tell of John the baptists impending birtvyetche fid not preach the gospel. Not one instance in the four gospels or in the letters give account of an angel preaching.

In acts chapter 8 an angel was sent to summon Peter to go and preach to Cornelius. The angel was not allowed to preach to Cornelius and this with him rather was, only allowed to fetch Peter the apostle to come and give the message.

For me I do not believe it is scriptural for an angel to preach as there are zero accounts of it.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Frank Lee

Frank, I believe that angels are in our lives much more than we may think.
I agree their prime work is not "preaching"...but as the word angel means messenger...I don't think we can be closed to it. I can't anyway. :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
PS Frank... I have never heard them speak, neither have I spoken to any...but I have seen ( with my eyes open) Four angels in our room...just like hugs humans ...solid people. They came the night my dad died... I tried to see how many angels were with my dad in his bedroom... but the glory- cloud was too thick for me to see into his room. So I for one believe they are active in , around, and for us.

Reactions: pompadour

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must agree with Lee on this one. in Revelation 14:6 "And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people". he had the everlasting Gospel, but nowhere did it say the angel preached it. the scripture stated "TO" preach, meaning he just had it, for it "to" be preached. but it was not specific as "to" who would preach it.

the angel in Acts, he told Captain Cornelius to send for Peter, because, "he shall tell thee what thou oughtest to do".

Peace in Christ Yeshua.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I must agree with Lee on this one. in Revelation 14:6 "And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people". he had the everlasting Gospel, but nowhere did it say the angel preached it. the scripture stated "TO" preach, meaning he just had it, for it "to" be preached. but it was not specific as "to" who would preach it.

the angel in Acts, he told Captain Cornelius to send for Peter, because, "he shall tell thee what thou oughtest to do".

Peace in Christ Yeshua.

Huuummmm Maybe...but seems a bit of a stretch though. ;)
But, either way, it is not a beach to die on.

Reactions: 101G

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Peace in Christ Yeshua.

Why just quote Rev. 14 - 6 ? why not rev. 14 - 7 and 14 - 8 and 14 - 9 ?
Rev. 14 -7. "saying with a loud voice." rev. 14 - 8. " and another angel followed saying " Rev. 14 - 9. " then a third angel followed them saying."
Pomp.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they desire to look into these things how can they have knowledge to preach?

1 Peter 1:12 KJVS
Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

I've seen angels praying over our bed and a few other times. But I am puzzled at the fascination with them. People can be turned aside. Watchman Lee is my preferred screen name. I want everyone that started out to finish.

A few of many commentaries;

Do Angels Preach the Gospel?

Asleep No More: Men, Not Angels, Preach The Gospel

Angels, Deception and a Cry for Biblical Truth

What Angels Can and Cannot Do

Last edited: