we do not have revival because we do not see the need for it.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most Christians are complacent. They are content with their place in the Spiritual world, and do not see the need of revival thinking they are in need of nothing.

My Soul cries out for the presence of God, and a revival of the refreshing of the Spirit in the church. The times are ripe for this revival, with the Principalities of this world scheming against the church, lawlessness increasing, the love of many growing cold.

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; (Acts of the Apostles 3:19)

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Most Christians are complacent. They are content with their place in the Spiritual world, and do not see the need of revival thinking they are in need of nothing.

My Soul cries out for the presence of God, and a revival of the refreshing of the Spirit in the church. The times are ripe for this revival, with the Principalities of this world scheming against the church, lawlessness increasing, the love of many growing cold.

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; (Acts of the Apostles 3:19)
When you look at the history of revivals they are specific to some aspect of Christianity. Works of faith. Gifts of the Spirit. Study of the Word . . .

So refreshing . . .

Isa 51:3 For the LORD will comfort Zion, He will comfort all her waste places; He will make her wilderness like Eden, And her desert like the garden of the LORD; Joy and gladness will be found in it, Thanksgiving and the voice of melody.

Reactions: David H.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you look at the history of revivals they are specific to some aspect of Christianity. Works of faith. Gifts of the Spirit. Study of the Word . . .

So refreshing . . .

Isa 51:3 For the LORD will comfort Zion, He will comfort all her waste places; He will make her wilderness like Eden, And her desert like the garden of the LORD; Joy and gladness will be found in it, Thanksgiving and the voice of melody.

BTW I gave you a like so you are not stuck on that Evil number....;)

It is largely fundamentalism that denies the need for this time of refreshing that comes from the presence of the LORD. They are in a state of doctrinal complacency, I say this not as an insult but as n edification to them that they need to seek more of Jesus, More of the riches of His Grace, and to not be afraid of the revelation and move of the Holy Ghost. I say this with Love because this is my background as well.

God Bless

Reactions: Stumpmaster

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
One Friday night during the second half of the 1990s, I'd just picked up my teen-aged son from his mother's to come and visit for the weekend. Since the drive took us within a few miles of the Toronto Airport Vineyard, we stopped in for the renewal meeting.
As we entered the main room, I got the sensation that I was up to my armpits in invisible water. I was amazed. As we walked, my son, who was not a believer at the time and was not at all impressed by having to go to church, looked at me and said, "Do you feel that?"
I said, "Yeah, but...you do, too?" "Yeah, dad, I do," he answered. I was surprised. I guess I'd assumed that only believers would be able to sense something like that.
One may ask what good could possibly come out of that?
Years later, as my beloved son sat in jail, up on multiple weapons and drug charges that could've easily sent him away for many years, he was told that a group of Christians was visiting the prison, were holding a meeting and that if he wanted to, he could go.
He may have remembered that night at the Vineyard all those years before, because he decided to go. While at the meeting, he heard a lady speak. Afterwards, she came and talked with him. She prayed with him, gave him some books, hugged him, and left.
Her name was Joyce Meyer.

Reactions: amadeus and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Christians would simply believe the Bible itself, instead of forming their pet self-affirming theories that have no foundation . . . If Christians would submit to the true Word of God, trusting Jesus to love others through us, perhaps we could begin to consistently walk in the Spirit, and might see greater fruitfulness in our lives.

Attitudes of division and superiority, attitudes of judgmentalism, stereotyping, these are all unhealthy self-affirmations. Blaming the "state of the church" for personal failings will not achieve maturity in our lives. But trusting in Jesus whole-heartedly will. Because the Holy Spirit, Whom we so greatly desire, well, when we start cooperating with God, things work a lot better.

We can build up instead of tearing down, maybe turn our focus towards revival in the unsaved!

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So refreshing . . .

I think we do well to have the mindset of, Let it begin through me!

Much love!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If Christians would simply believe the Bible itself, instead of forming their pet self-affirming theories that have no foundation . . . If Christians would submit to the true Word of God, trusting Jesus to love others through us, perhaps we could begin to consistently walk in the Spirit, and might see greater fruitfulness in our lives.

Attitudes of division and superiority, attitudes of judgmentalism, stereotyping, these are all unhealthy self-affirmations. Blaming the "state of the church" for personal failings will not achieve maturity in our lives. But trusting in Jesus whole-heartedly will. Because the Holy Spirit, Whom we so greatly desire, well, when we start cooperating with God, things work a lot better.

We can build up instead of tearing down, maybe turn our focus towards revival in the unsaved!

Much love!
Shining light instead of cursing darkness. Well-said!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Christians would simply believe the Bible itself, instead of forming their pet self-affirming theories that have no foundation . . .

Revival is not something that comes from reading the Bible, though the Bible plays a role in revival. Revival is the moving of the Holy Ghost in Believers and and unbelievers alike. For the the believer revival is a "refreshing" in the unbeliever there is conviction and transformation. We should all be praying for a revival and Hungering and thirsting for the Presence of God that Sparks revival.

Studying the Hebrides revival, What "sparked" this revival was two old women earnestly praying for God's presence, No tele-evangelists, no deep theological presentations, no "camp meetings". Although Duncan Campbell is the minister associated with this revival, even he said it was not his working but the work of The Holy Ghost and a supernatural event.

Curiously, Donald Trump is related to those two old woman.... Watch the part with the pastor speaking in the video

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Revival is not something that comes from reading the Bible, though the Bible plays a role in revival. Revival is the moving of the Holy Ghost in Believers and and unbelievers alike. For the the believer revival is a "refreshing" in the unbeliever there is conviction and transformation. We should all be praying for a revival and Hungering and thirsting for the Presence of God that Sparks revival.

Studying the Hebrides revival, What "sparked" this revival was two old women earnestly praying for God's presence, No tele-evangelists, no deep theological presentations, no "camp meetings". Although Duncan Campbell is the minister associated with this revival, even he said it was not his working but the work of The Holy Ghost and a supernatural event.

Curiously, Donald Trump is related to those two old woman.... Watch the part with the pastor speaking in the video

The bible that pastor used is the same one that Trump had in the White House. Yeah, those 2 old ladies were something else. I'm alone, though I do try to get others to join me. Revival...time...is...coming! It is almost here! In my home town. And I'm going to be part of it! Somehow. I hope I can lead worship somewhere. I just love it when the Spirit of God moves in power!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revival is not something that comes from reading the Bible, though the Bible plays a role in revival.
I'm saying, if Christians would simply believe the Bible, and submit themselves to God's Word in truth, not just in lip service, this makes them more cooperative with the Holy Spirit, Who is more readily able to transform us in the renewing of our minds. It's helps when we don't resist the Spirit by holding onto our pet ideas against the teachings of Scripture. God must first then correct that rebelliousness, to then go on with our discipleship.

As we become more spiritually mature, not just in talking about how spiritual we are, or how unspiritual everyone else is, we can have a real spiritual maturity, the way God intends. By being submitted to His hand in our lives, including to His Word.

The life you seek comes this way. The just shall live by faith. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God. Put on the new man which is renewed according to the knowledge of his Creator.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the the believer revival is a "refreshing"
I'd be interested to know what passages you look at concerning the believer's revival. You know revive means to cause to live, right? Do you think of Christians as being dead?

Much love!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd be interested to know what passages you look at concerning the believer's revival. You know revive means to cause to live, right? Do you think of Christians as being dead?

The Scripture in the in the OP for one shows that the refreshing comes after conversion. I think Christianity can become a dead religion in the believer when they fall into complacency. Jesus himself spoke of the church of Sardis as being "dead" in their faith. To think that you are immune to your faith becoming dead is the beginning of complacency setting in. Think about that for a while.....

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Scripture in the in the OP for one shows that the refreshing comes after conversion.

What are the times of refreshing the Apostle speaks of? It's not just whatever comes to mind, right? The Bible tells us. Right? What does it tell us? Is there more to the context?

This reminds me very much of your "latter rain". You have a passage you quote which mentions "times of refreshing", by which you want to support your doctrine that those who have been made spiritually alive in Christ somehow become more alive at some later time? Revival of the revived?

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: charity

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To think that you are immune to your faith becoming dead is the beginning of complacency setting in. Think about that for a while.....
Trust Jesus! Soak on that instead. Oh ye of little faith, and slow to believe God's Word. I'd refer you to Hebrews 12. It's not about you. It's about God. IF you are born again.

But if you feel the risk of falling away, I'd spend more time in the Word, and in prayer, and meditation on what you read, as you become more renewed in your mind. That's where the trouble is.

Much love!

Reactions: charity

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are the times of refreshing the Apostle speaks of? It's not just whatever comes to mind, right? The Bible tells us. Right? What does it tell us? Is there more to the context?

This reminds me very much of your "latter rain". You have a passage you quote which mentions "times of refreshing", by which you want to support your doctrine that those who have been made spiritually alive in Christ somehow become more alive at some later time? Revival of the revived?

Revival and who they have affected are Historical facts that you would do well to study up on yourself.... I know one thing, you will not have or experience a a revival if you are not looking for one to occur in your Spiritual life. that is just a simple fact.... It is not some "doctrine" i am trying to get you to understand but an attitude that transforms us, as expressed in the following Hymn.... Then and only then revival comes, whether personal, in the congregation, regional or national..... Revival is the Power of God expressed through the Church that affects the whole community. when you understand this, then you will see the wickedness in the world is partly the fault of the church not reaching its fulness, and why my heart cries out for revival.

1. More about Jesus would I know,
    More of His grace to others show;
    More of His saving fullness see,
    More of His love who died for me.
    • Refrain:
      More, more about Jesus,
      More, more about Jesus;
      More of His saving fullness see,
      More of His love who died for me.
  2. More about Jesus let me learn,
    More of His holy will discern;
    Spirit of God, my teacher be,
    Showing the things of Christ to me.
  3. More about Jesus, in His Word,
    Holding communion with my Lord;
    Hearing His voice in every line,
    Making each faithful saying mine.
  4. More about Jesus on His throne,
    Riches in glory all His own;
    More of His kingdom’s sure increase;
    More of His coming, Prince of Peace.
More About Jesus > Lyrics | Eliza E. Hewitt (timelesstruths.org)