We don't get it!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yup, that's it, we don't get it!
Have a look at all the threads on this site.....how many did you say there was? hundreds, maybe thousands?

Consider what the disciples were passionate about after the resurrection, what they spoke about, what they lived and to whom/what they bore witness, what they gave their lives for....yup, all of them.

Now see how passion is hijacked and distorted by those claiming to know Jesus.....anything from tattoos to gay matters, from why you are wrong and the other right....it goes on and on and on.

If I were a non Christian trying to get a handle on this Jesus I'd hardly find out.

What I would find out is a bunch of how to threads, ie, telling me what to do....a lot of telling about the works I should do whether you call that believing a certain way....or, what you should not take notice of.....and that in spite of the big noises about works not being part of the Salvation equation.

But let me ask you, tell me about Jesus....don't give me more advice. Tell me so that I am attracted to him more than any other public figure.

If you're a bit flummoxed, try checking out some of the podcasts the link of which is in my signature ......something might be presented to you you've never heard before :)

Reactions: Azim and amadeus

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree on the tattoo part, and I hope you mean not accepting homosexuals when you say gay threads, which is against Christianity and not embracing them or accepting them.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I were a non Christian trying to get a handle on this Jesus I'd hardly find out.

Not so. The Holy Bible is readily available to find out all about the faith in Christ.

tell me about Jesus....don't give me more advice.

“Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely…” (Philippians 1:15-16)

Go to the word of God for unleavened truth.

And admonitions among ourselves are expected. The problem is too many have added leaven with the Bible.

“And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.” (Romans 15:14)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree on the tattoo part, and I hope you mean not accepting homosexuals when you say gay threads, which is against Christianity and not embracing them or accepting them.
We can hope for many things John. Putting aside bias and prejudice towards points of view and people goes a long way in sharing hope with the hopeless.

Reactions: Azim and Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not so. The Holy Bible is readily available to find out all about the faith in Christ.

“Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely…” (Philippians 1:15-16)

Go to the word of God for unleavened truth.

And admonitions among ourselves are expected. The problem is too many have added leaven with the Bible.

“And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.” (Romans 15:14)
Facts alone do not establish relationship. So what does?
Christians are commissioned to be fishers of men; throwing dynamite in the water only gives you dead fish.....is that what you want?

Reactions: Nancy

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
throwing dynamite in the water only gives you dead fish.....is that what you want?

You misunderstand.

We admonish each other, but to the unsaved we speak to them this way:

“In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.” (2 Timothy 2:25-26)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You misunderstand.

“In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.” (2 Timothy 2:25-26)
you mean, we tell them what to do?

Reactions: Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It doesn’t hurt to tell.

If they get upset, leave them alone.

Move on.
Why should good news upset anybody. People get upset when others presume to tell them what to do ie, dish out buckets of unsolicited advice.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People get upset when others presume to tell them what to do ie, dish out buckets of unsolicited advice.

That should not be done to outsiders.

But within the body of Christ:

“Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears” (2 Timothy 4:2-3)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That should not be done to outsiders.

But within the body of Christ:

“Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears” (2 Timothy 4:2-3)
Yet in post #6 you said:

Isn't this telling them what to do?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You rebuke and admonish believers.

You gently instruct the lost.

If the lost get offended, move on.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You rebuke and admonish believers.

You gently instruct the lost.

If the lost get offended, move on.
Confusing good news with unsolicited advice makes for painful relationship.....and whose ears are open to that?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I follow the instructions of the Bible.

God knows best how we should interact with others.
Good news is our commission; these are our instructions, not unsolicited advice.
Exchanging good news for unsolicited advice is done when one has no good news to share.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 3:15

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

The above verse say's to me that we are to be ready with Gods word on our tongues to those "who ask".

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good news is our commission; these are our instructions, not unsolicited advice.

You got a huge problem with John the Baptist, Christ and the Apostles.

“…Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” (Mark 16:15)

It doesn’t say to every person who “asks”. @Nancy The situation you’re talking about is different.

@quietthinker Your attitude is odious to me.

Just another unreasonable internet person.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
One of my neighbours was telling me today of another neighbour who he had found out had recently died. After a pause I said, hmmm, and after this it's the judgement. He looked at me both inquiring and incredulous; I let him sit on it for 30 seconds or so then said, contrary to the idea that it is God judging us, it is actually us judging God. His eyes went wide with curiosity so I continued, look, here we are with sunshine poured down on us by the bucket load, rain to freshen the landscape; the soil brings forth abundant food; all these are God's gifts, and this for all people; he has judged us worthy of life and gladness but we, yes we pollute the air and the waters, we oppress our fellow man and exploit at every opportunity; we have judged God's graciousness as unworthy and behave accordingly by sabotaging God's gifts; we are judging God as unworthy of our worship....
yet the 'religious' bow and scrape, build opulent monuments, are steeped in formality and relational distancing .....tell others regularly what they should be doing and are full of unending rules.....and they call this worship?
Jesus said to the woman at the well that true worship is done in spirit and truth.....no formalities or particular places and locations......no formulas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azim and Nancy