Were Andronicus and Junia apostles?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ESV doesn't think so, Romans 16:

7 Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me.
But NIV seems to think they are:

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was.
The Greek is ambiguous. Berean Literal Bible:

Greet Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, and who were in Christ before me.
Ellicott commented:

Of note among the apostles.—An ambiguous expression, which might mean, and, judging by the word alone, would perhaps more naturally be taken to mean, “distinguished as Apostles themselves.” This sense is not to be disregarded as absolutely impossible, for the title “Apostles” does not appear to have been limited to the Twelve. It is decidedly more probable that James, the Lord’s brother, who is called an Apostle in Galatians 1:19, and elsewhere, was not identical with James the son of Alphæus. And, however this may be, there can be no question about Barnabas, who is called an Apostle in Acts 14:14. St. Paul himself seems to draw a distinction between “the Twelve” and “all the Apostles,” in 1Corinthians 15:7. Still, on the whole, it seems best to suppose that the phrase “of note among the Apostles” means, “highly esteemed by the apostolic circle.”
Was Junia a woman?

Matthew Poole's Commentary:

Salute Andronicus and Junia; it may be rendered Junius. Some think this Junia was a woman, and the wife of Andronicus; others take them both for men.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ESV doesn't think so, Romans 16:

But NIV seems to think they are:

The Greek is ambiguous. Berean Literal Bible:

Ellicott commented:

Was Junia a woman?

Matthew Poole's Commentary:
Listening to too many commentators and not enough of the Word of God.

The language is not ambiguous. It means they had an excellent reputation among the apostles, not that they were noted Apostles!

If they were noted apostles, where are their writings? where did they minister and plant churches? Apostles (the office) were the men who laid the foundation for the church to be built with Jesus as the Cornerstone. Adronicus and Junia are not among those who held the office of apostle.