What Bible Versions Do You Own/Use? Why?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what Bible versions do you own?For me, I personally use a KJV Bible as well as the Companion Bible which also is the original KJV translation. I have paper copies of the NKJV, NIV, NRSV (Oxford), Interlinear (Hebrew + Greek), and a book with the Dead Sea Scrolls and their interpretations. I also have software that has something like 10-15 translations like the ASV and so on.King James is my favorite by far. The first thing you'll notice is that there is no copyright on the Bible. (If anyone owns the copyright it's God.) I feel like this translation does the best job at actual translation and not transliteration which can really construe the meanings of a verse or teaching of Our Father's Word.

Word of God

May 30, 2006
Old King James is my favorit too. I use many but I perfer it.
smile.gif
In the LOVE of Christ JESUS, Our LORD and Savior. Word of God
smile.gif
(SwampFox)
So what Bible versions do you own?For me, I personally use a KJV Bible as well as the Companion Bible which also is the original KJV translation. I have paper copies of the NKJV, NIV, NRSV (Oxford), Interlinear (Hebrew + Greek), and a book with the Dead Sea Scrolls and their interpretations. I also have software that has something like 10-15 translations like the ASV and so on.King James is my favorite by far. The first thing you'll notice is that there is no copyright on the Bible. (If anyone owns the copyright it's God.) I feel like this translation does the best job at actual translation and not transliteration which can really construe the meanings of a verse or teaching of Our Father's Word.

PetriFB

Jul 6, 2006
I use KJV and many other english one Bibles.... My native tongue is Finnish, so I use also some Finnish Bibles.. then I use Hebrew and Greek Bibles .....

bac2nowere

Jun 15, 2006
I like the KJV, I guess mostly because that is what I grew up with. I have several other translation in paper form and software. I carry with me either the NIV or NKJV around with everywhere. However, when I study I like to read from KJV version because of the literal translation. But I will also look at several translations when I study. Sometimes I wish I could just read Hebrew and Greek so that I don't have rely so heavily on other translations

PetriFB

Jul 6, 2006
(bac2nowere)
I like the KJV, I guess mostly because that is what I grew up with. I have several other translation in paper form and software. I carry with me either the NIV or NKJV around with everywhere. However, when I study I like to read from KJV version because of the literal translation. But I will also look at several translations when I study. Sometimes I wish I could just read Hebrew and Greek so that I don't have rely so heavily on other translations
KJV is very accurate Bible ....amen ...I also like a much about KJV ....

Muneeb2Good

Jul 13, 2006
I really wonder now with the new research on the life of the JESUS King James version seems to be criticised and it almost seems to be not so authentic. I also have been reading this version of Bible with interest but now it feels that one should study other versions as well. When i found many pages from the Chapter of Daniel were removed from original text and declared apocrephal material by the POPE and kept in his safe custody. Why this was done and who was the authority to declare that portion as apochephal material. I read with interest a small book " Apocrepha" published by Oxford University Press and they claimed that somehow these pages were stolen from POPE's custody copied and printed. The stolen pages were replaced safe and sound in the same place. Any comment on that theft !

Lyte

Jul 12, 2006
I'm not all that keen on the KJV... sorry, too many thees and thous that some of the meaning is lost to me. I'm trying to remember the name of th one I do use. Hmm...

Love123

Jul 7, 2006
I prefer K.J.V.In my Bible study I have discovered that it to through translation has a few misinterpretations from the Greek or Hebrew.When I present a Biblical topic...... to share with others..........Once I understand;.. the error through translation has been noted...............I make it a point to list the errors........in translationsFrom Greek or Hebrew..............what it was.... and what it became............This allows others to research and check on their own; and to see how it should read.God BlessLove123

David

Jul 21, 2006
I like to use the "Peoples Parallel" Bible; it is the New King James and the Living Bible side by side in a pretty small book...The NKJ is good for closer to the actual text while the Living Bible is my favorite for translating the thoughts into loving English. And every time I find a verse I want to know more about I just look 2" over to see what the other says.

MindCreations

Jul 25, 2006
Personally, I'm not really a fan of the KJV. I remember when I first picked up a Bible I put it right back down because it was a KJV. It just didn't speak to me.. and I'm not a fan of thee's and thou's and most of it was just confusing.The first Bible that I got and really started to read was "The Message: Remix" which is the Bible translated by Eugene H. Peterson in contemporary language. It's amazing and really took hold of me. Since then I've gotten a NIV and KJV and compare translations often. They all say the same thing, it's just a matter of how you like to read the word.

gibby

Apr 4, 2006
I usually use the NIV however I do enjoy the New King James version and sometimes read that.

Matityahu

Aug 25, 2006
(SwampFox;536)
On what basis do you say that the KJV bible focuses on translation vs. transliteration?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact that we can easily read it and the fact that this was the overall goal of those who aided in the process as they translated the Bible into the king's English. There's enough of the meaning preserved and transliterations were only done where obviously necessary.

ROS777

Sep 21, 2006
I have a Companion Bible I just purchased. Very interesting commentaries.Also have a NKJV Bible I use.Anybody know what to do with Bibles that one doesn't want to keep such asan NIV Bible? Or Bibles that are torn up some ? I Don't feel right about throwingthe torn Bibles .Oops, don't want to offend anyone that uses a NIV Bible, but I don't want to keepa few translations that I don't like, should I bring them to church even though I don'tlike them for myself?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Ros777Welcome to CB. I always donate my old bibles to goodwill, or some library's have places outside for old books they give away you can drop it in .you never know who might find it and come to the lord.

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
So what Bible versions do you own?
Just about all of the English translations in print, except the ones made for those with limited reading ability. I don't use any of them for serious study. For personal devotions I quite like the Good News Bible, as it's 'a good read'. For debates I use the NIV by default, as it is most often the closest to to my own translation. Where the NIV is significantly inaccurate I may use the RSV, the NASB, JB Phillips or my own translation.
King James is my favorite by far. The first thing you'll notice is that there is no copyright on the Bible.
The last time I checked (about five years ago) the KJV was under strict Crown copyright in Great Britain, and unpermitted quoting is liable to prosecution there. There is otherwise no copyright on any Bible translation over about 80 years old, as copyright for all written works runs out then. There is no copyright on the ASV (which has quite a lot going for it, imv), the Geneva Bible, or any of the several translations of its period except the KJV.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The last time I checked (about five years ago) the KJV was under strict Crown copyright in Great Britain, and unpermitted quoting is liable to prosecution there.
That's a subject of debate, but as for those outside of GB, there's nothing to worry about and I've seen many an educated opinion on this. Even inside GB, it's in limited areas as defined by the Royal Prerogative. I run an online version of the KJV.You're correct in saying that some of the others have had their copyrights run out, but most (if not all) of the new ones remain rather tightly copyrighted.I think perhaps one of the strongest things about the KJV is that (thanks, Wikipedia):
Although it is often referred to as the King James Version, the only active part King James took in the translation was lifting the criminal (death) penalty attached to its translation and setting very reasonable guidelines for the translation process (such as prohibiting partisan scholarship and footnotes.)
I have a problem with the newer versions because they've become summaries and commentaries made by men who are flawed. Anybody can write an abridged version of the Bible but that certainly doesn't make it correct. Even in the case of the ASV, you have a more authorative and pure translation.

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
That's a subject of debate, but as for those outside of GB, there's nothing to worry about and I've seen many an educated opinion on this. Even inside GB, it's in limited areas as defined by the Royal Prerogative. I run an online version of the KJV.
My information (from the Crown Office in Cambridge, UK) is that this law applies to the whole of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. If there has been a revision I would be very grateful to learn about it.
You're correct in saying that some of the others have had their copyrights run out, but most (if not all) of the new ones remain rather tightly copyrighted.
All Bibles of the Elizabethan and Stuart period are extremely well out of copyright in all countries, except the KJV. I have been unable to ascertain whether KJV internet quotes made outside the UK constitute copyright infringement if they are read (or readable) in the UK.
setting very reasonable guidelines for the translation process (such as prohibiting partisan scholarship and footnotes.
King James did far more than that! James surely had no business translating at all. His very legitimate complaint was against the seditious comment found in the notes to the Geneva Bible. The commonsense and proper thing to do would have been to proscribe the notes, but disinterestedly leave Bible translation to those whose whose business it is- and worldly monarchs are hardly the choice of God for that business, and should never be seen to be involved- or interfering, as it might be construed.James in fact banned the whole Geneva Bible. James wrote, 'No bishops, no king.' He selected all of the fifty or so translators of the version now named after him, none of whom were of presbyterian inclination, he instructed them to keep to the rendition of the unpopular and difficult to read Bishops' Bible as closely as possible, and had the whole translation carefully vetted by a 'high church' prelate of his personal choice. In other words, he made an instrument for his own personal advantage. Moreover, he did not dare authorise the version himself, and neither monarch nor Parliament ever authorised it. He turned a blind eye to the printer's own addition on the frontispiece that claimed (and still claims) that the translation has been 'appointed to be read in churches'. James wrote, 'No bishops, no king.' He attempted to turn Britain into a Catholic country, in which the Word of God would have been set aside. He was as culpable of politicking and interference in God's affairs as the people he persecuted were.
(thanks, Wikipedia):
Wikipedia is wonderful for such things as discovering the natural history of penguins, but where religion is concerned, it is highly unreliable, imv.
I have a problem with the newer versions because they've become summaries and commentaries made by men who are flawed.
Many modern versions are 'word-for-word' as the KJV is. The ASV actually improves on the word order in respect of the KJV, and it has in past days been preferred for formal study for that reason. The KJV is as much a commentary as any- and indeed, as those who have actually attempted translation are aware, it is impossible to make a translation that does not comment, in someone's opinion. The implication that King James' men were perfect is intriguing. I wonder what was really meant.
Anybody can write an abridged version of the Bible but that certainly doesn't make it correct.
There is nothing whatever abridged about the majority of modern Bibles. The 'dynamic equivalence' method may produce more words for a given verse than the 'literal' method, in fact. It is a method perfectly legitimate technically, is very widely used in secular translation generally, and is indeed desirable for anyone not studying. It has been of inestimable use in both conversion and teaching. For those who do not use original languages, literal and dynamic versions can usefully be used side by side.In fact, I can see no particular need for the KJV any more, if indeed it was ever an improvement on what existed, and what might have been over 400 years of suppression of other translations. Dynamic equivalence is excellent, in principle, for outreach and for newer or less able Christians. Word-for-word translations such as the NKJV and NASB are improvements on the KJV in terms of scholarship, and have the advantage of being translated into modern English. They thus provide a fairly useful basis for study for those who use no original languages- though that is not actually a very satisfactory way to study. No translation is anything like satisfactory, because one can never say that one is not reading an opinion if reading a translation. And of course, in crucial and controversial matters, one is very often doing just that. It constantly amazes me that people can claim that a particular version is 'the Word of God' when they do not know a single word of Greek or Hebrew. Serious comment must always rely on original languages. One cannot ever sensibly and honourably base a theological view on any translation, and all works of serious scholarship are always based on Greek koine, Hebrew or Aramaic.

Status
Not open for further replies.