What books are you currently reading?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
There is a thread in a “Christians Only” forum where members discuss the books they are reading. I think there needs to be a thread like that for Christians and non-Christians and that it will be profitable for both groups to have access to it.

When I was teaching Christian theology to college students - Christians and non-Christians - I had a sign displayed in my classroom:

Read widely. Read deeply. Read thoughtfully. Read critically.

I read the Bible daily. I read other books daily too. I read books primarily on the subject of theology, but I read books on other subjects occasionally too.

A few months ago I began reading and rereading the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers. I began, at the suggestion of a Roman Catholic friend I made on Christianity Board, with Tertullian. To date, I’ve read / reread 24 of his extant writings. I have a few more of his to read to complete them all. I’ve also read all of the extant writings of Tatian and Athenagoras last month.

Today I’ve begun reading the first of 3 books written by Theophilus, all titled To Autolycus.

What books are you reading?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading Octavius, written by Minucius Felix. I’ve previously only read excerpts of his work. I plan to pick up where I left off in Tertullian after I finish reading this work by Felix.

Has anyone here read, or interested in reading, Octavius?

Reactions: Johann

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest minds of past centuries.” - Rene Descartes

Reactions: MatthewG

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Today I’ve started reading De Fuga In Persecutione, written by Tertullian. I’ll pair it with another of his writings having the same theme, titled The Martyrdom of Perpetua and Felicitas.

Reactions: MatthewG

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I was required as a student to read Tertullian (and other Ante Nicene, as well as Nicene, Fathers). De Fuga In Persecutione was not one of the required readings - a gross oversight or innocent act of negligence on the part of my instructors.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
3rd century Christianity. Rough stuff. Similar and dissimilar to 21st century Christianity in belief and practice.

Now reading Instructions In Favor of Christian Discipline, Against The Gods of The Heathens, written by Commodianus.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m now reading The Refutation of All Heresies, consisting of ten books, written by Hippolytus.

Anyone care to join me in reading it? 3rd century Christianity is quite a trip.

Reactions: Mr E

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.” - Ray Bradbury

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m now reading The Refutation of All Heresies, consisting of ten books, written by Hippolytus.

Anyone care to join me in reading it? 3rd century Christianity is quite a trip.

I got through Book 1, but haven't been able to dig up Book 2.

3rd Century Christianity is quite a trap.

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I got through Book 1, but haven't been able to dig up Book 2.

3rd Century Christianity is quite a trap.

So glad to hear that you’re reading along. Books 2 & 3 are lost. I’ve finished book 4 and have just a few pages left in book 5.

What did you think about Book 1?

Heads up: Tough reading ahead in Books 4 and 5. There’s a great story in Book 4 though about catching owls. That story alone made it worth reading Book 4.

• Haha

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So glad to hear that you’re reading along. Books 2 & 3 are lost. I’ve finished book 4 and have just a few pages left in book 5.

Heads up: Tough reading ahead in Books 4 and 5. There’s a great story in Book 4 though about owls. That story alone made it worth reading Book 4.

;)

Maybe someone else will dig them up.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Heads up: Tough reading ahead in Books 4 and 5. There’s a great story in Book 4 though about catching owls. That story alone made it worth reading Book 4.

Those are the big three, not only in my opinion-- but you have Socrates followed by his pupil Plato, followed by his pupil in turn- Aristotle.

So to understand Aristotle, you study Plato and Socrates. I never thought to examine Socrates' own teacher- Archelaus nor going farther (deeper) into the precession of teachers who sought to understand and explain such ancient mysteries. For me it was fun to read some pre-Socratic info, but here's the issue. The author- Hippolytus picks up pen with obvious bias. He is the one who determines what is heresy based on his own set of beliefs and nothing more. It's like if I were to write a book about ugly women... I'd decide who goes on the list and leave it to others to disagree with me. Completely subjective opinion.

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Incidentally, for anyone interested but not willing to buck up (99 cents) on Kindle, there is a free library of his writings here>>>

Book 6. The story of Apsethus the Libyan (which I had never heard before) is alone, by itself, worth the 99 cents. A must read. (A parrot story! If this actually happened … hilarious!)

Who knew that heresy (serious business) could be such wicked good fun?