What Christ Does For Us

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.

2Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; 3Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: 4That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.

5Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. 6Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Vs 1 ~ Just and Equal - We have a Master also. Judge as you want to be judged. Give mercy, those who would receive mercy. Measure as you would like measured to you. Not theory, but we will reap what we sow.

Vs 2-4 ~ Praying always . . . Paul is in bonds for the Gospel, not just imprisonments,

1 Corinthians 9:16-18 "For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel! For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me. What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

Paul had to preach, that's what God sent him to do. So Paul labored all the more so he could pay his own way, and in this way obtain his reward. This is the servant who says, I'm only doing my duty.

My connection here is to say that God sent Paul to preach the Gospel, and prayers for his ministry are prayers for God's will to prevail, for His Word to succeed.

Paul's request seems to me to reflect the part in 2 Corinthians 5, knowing therefore the terror of the Lord . . . Paul's intent is to fulfill his "serving" of the Gospel. He is strengthened in their prayers, and they can partake of Paul's ministry.

Vs, 5-6 ~ Be understanding of what is real, and who are those "without". Maintaining graceful speech seems to me to be a more excellent way to redeem the time, not wasting time on being less than loving.

I have to guess at what God means when He says "let your speech be seasoned with salt, that you may know how to answer every man". I can relate this to flavor, preservation, health, maybe the idea is that we are always trying to add something good? What are your thoughts?

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.

2Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; 3Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: 4That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.

5Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. 6Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Vs 1 ~ Just and Equal - We have a Master also. Judge as you want to be judged. Give mercy, those who would receive mercy. Measure as you would like measured to you. Not theory, but we will reap what we sow.

Vs 2-4 ~ Praying always . . . Paul is in bonds for the Gospel, not just imprisonments,

1 Corinthians 9:16-18 "For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel! For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me. What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

Paul had to preach, that's what God sent him to do. So Paul labored all the more so he could pay his own way, and in this way obtain his reward. This is the servant who says, I'm only doing my duty.

My connection here is to say that God sent Paul to preach the Gospel, and prayers for his ministry are prayers for God's will to prevail, for His Word to succeed.

Paul's request seems to me to reflect the part in 2 Corinthians 5, knowing therefore the terror of the Lord . . . Paul's intent is to fulfill his "serving" of the Gospel. He is strengthened in their prayers, and they can partake of Paul's ministry.

Vs, 5-6 ~ Be understanding of what is real, and who are those "without". Maintaining graceful speech seems to me to be a more excellent way to redeem the time, not wasting time on being less than loving.

I have to guess at what God means when He says "let your speech be seasoned with salt, that you may know how to answer every man". I can relate this to flavor, preservation, health, maybe the idea is that we are always trying to add something good? What are your thoughts?

Much love!
Mark
Yeah! Amen, To overcome evil with something good, not to render evil with evil.

Reactions: farouk

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah! Amen, To overcome evil with something good, not to render evil with evil.
So then . . . Let your speech be seasoned with salt . . . and not with dirt . . . sounds good to me!

To let our speech be that which overcomes. Speech which shows our faith. I believe, therefore I speak.

To overcome evil with good, I think that fits very nicely!

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

I think this sets up something for us to aim for.

Much love!
Mark

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
So then . . . Let your speech be seasoned with salt . . . and not with dirt . . . sounds good to me!

To let our speech be that which overcomes. Speech which shows our faith. I believe, therefore I speak.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Much love!
Mark
Ephesians is both so doctrinal and so practical.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Mark
I think the above is correct with love.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the above is correct with love.

. . . and to brotherly kindness, add love . . .

7All my state shall Tychicus declare unto you, who is a beloved brother, and a faithful minister and fellowservant in the Lord: 8Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that he might know your estate, and comfort your hearts; 9With Onesimus, a faithful and beloved brother, who is one of you. They shall make known unto you all things which are done here.

Paul wants to know how they are doing, and to comfort them concerning himself, and what is happening in Rome.

I think our first concern is to be towards the wellbeing and peace of mind of others, in love, and in truth. We've never not supposed to be community, in koinonia.

You give a good OP title, What Christ Does For Us . . .

10Aristarchus my fellowprisoner saluteth you, and Marcus, sister's son to Barnabas, (touching whom ye received commandments: if he come unto you, receive him;) 11And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me. 12Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God. 13For I bear him record, that he hath a great zeal for you, and them that are in Laodicea, and them in Hierapolis. 14Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas, greet you. 15Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.

One thing He does for me is to connect me to you, and to all the others in Him. I love this part of Scripture for all the interconnectedness I see, same as in Romans 16.

Anything we join together in, in a positive way, will deepen our acceptance and appreciation for each other. The fellowship of giving. The fellowship of labor, fellowworkers unto the kingdom. The fellowship of suffering.

May I labor so much fervently in my prayers! Always laboring in prayers . . . so I can have a new car . . . so my bills will be paid . . . so you may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.

And when This prayer is answered, according to the will of God, the one praying and the one receiving benefit are partakers in the same Spirit, and in the same work.

"the church which is in his house" . . . curious, how many are in small churches, or small regular groups? I think this is a huge blessing in the intimacy we can share as we have the time and opportunity to really get to know each other.

Much love!
Mark

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
. . . and to brotherly kindness, add love . . .

7All my state shall Tychicus declare unto you, who is a beloved brother, and a faithful minister and fellowservant in the Lord: 8Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that he might know your estate, and comfort your hearts; 9With Onesimus, a faithful and beloved brother, who is one of you. They shall make known unto you all things which are done here.

Paul wants to know how they are doing, and to comfort them concerning himself, and what is happening in Rome.

I think our first concern is to be towards the wellbeing and peace of mind of others, in love, and in truth. We've never not supposed to be community, in koinonia.

You give a good OP title, What Christ Does For Us . . .

10Aristarchus my fellowprisoner saluteth you, and Marcus, sister's son to Barnabas, (touching whom ye received commandments: if he come unto you, receive him;) 11And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me. 12Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God. 13For I bear him record, that he hath a great zeal for you, and them that are in Laodicea, and them in Hierapolis. 14Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas, greet you. 15Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.

One thing He does for me is to connect me to you, and to all the others in Him. I love this part of Scripture for all the interconnectedness I see, same as in Romans 16.

Anything we join together in, in a positive way, will deepen our acceptance and appreciation for each other. The fellowship of giving. The fellowship of labor, fellowworkers unto the kingdom. The fellowship of suffering.

May I labor so much fervently in my prayers! Always laboring in prayers . . . so I can have a new car . . . so my bills will be paid . . . so you may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.

And when This prayer is answered, according to the will of God, the one praying and the one receiving benefit are partakers in the same Spirit, and in the same work.

"the church which is in his house" . . . curious, how many are in small churches, or small regular groups? I think this is a huge blessing in the intimacy we can share as we have the time and opportunity to really get to know each other.

Much love!
Mark
I will read Romans 16 again prayerfully, thanks.