What Denomination was Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rhetorical of course. Everyone feels "their" denomination is the most accurate and most aligned with the scriptures. We know of course that everyone cannot be correct in this assumption. Another day another schism it seems. These almost countless schisms have weakened the Body of Christ. Now before some of you start throwing stones at me I'm not suggesting that some were not necessary for correction of doctrine that had gone off the tracks. Some were critical and I'm thankful. I fully oppose a one-world religion. I support Jesus for all.

What I see many times are Christians who place denominational belief statements above scripture. They have an allegiance with their denomination that IMHO nears Idolatry. We must know that scriptures trump denominational beliefs, mission statements, and practices. Our salvation is not from a collective membership. Our relationship is a personal one. You cannot be dragged into Heaven or carried in by others. It is good to fellowship with believers who you feel are most aligned with your beliefs but a sworn allegiance to a denomination is dangerous. Many believers do not practice or are at risk of worshiping a denomination but some are fully under the authority of denominational leadership and seek no confirmation in the Holy Bible. They have abandoned their relationship with the Holy Spirit thru God's word learning only the view of the person behind the pulpit. This for some has been a generational impact that can be even more difficult to crawl out of "if momma believed it, I believe it". I do not think this is wise. I would not think God finds pleasure in our failure to understand his word thru the Holy Spirit enough to be more aligned.

Can actions, beliefs, and practices turn a denomination into an Idol? If we place a denominational structure above Christ are we guilty? Many keep their focus on Jesus but some I fear do not.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Can actions, beliefs, and practices turn a denomination into an Idol? If we place a denominational structure above Christ are we guilty? Many keep their focus on Jesus but some I fear do not.
Jesus was a Jew and non-denominational which I think certain factors would not agree with. And I do believe that a denomination or certain traditions can become more important than Jesus and therefor an idol.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah it would be nice if we had one church. A church that teaches universal truth. A church that doesn’t have child molesting “priests”. I would call it “The church of Christianity”!

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only "denomination" that I belong to is the denomination of Jesus, like you brother. The gospel has been so watered down. I once read on a forum members profile "If John the Baptist were to preach the gospel that is taught today, he would never have lost his head". I do not remember which of our members had this but it did stick!

The dilution of His WORD is something the church as a whole, should be ashamed of. :oops:

God save your church, we pray in Jesus Name.
Praises, glory and honor to you Lord!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should realize that there were denominations in Jesus's day: Pharisees, Sadducees, Scribes, Herodians... They didn't like each other much but they did finally unite.... To put Jesus down.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should realize that there were denominations in Jesus's day: Pharisees, Sadducees, Scribes, Herodians... They didn't like each other much but they did finally unite.... To put Jesus down.

Do you want to join them???

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you want to join them???
Why would you ask me that? Did I say something that provoked you to ask?

As you read the Bible, is it not true? The Pharisees didn't like him, the Sadducees didn't either. And all these "denominations" had doctrinal differences. Yet, they had a common enemy in Jesus.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree with a lot of what you said in that post.

God is not a reader of labels...he is a reader of hearts.

No one can come to the son without an invitation from his Father......(John 6:65)

If you do not have an invitation (a valid one, as there are counterfeits) Matthew 7:21-23 will apply IMO.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why would you ask me that? Did I say something that provoked you to ask?

As you read the Bible, is it not true? The Pharisees didn't like him, the Sadducees didn't either. And all these "denominations" had doctrinal differences. Yet, they had a common enemy in Jesus.
Can it happen again today? Could the so-called "Christians" unite to slander and persecute those who do not agree with their pet doctrines?
(John 15:18-21)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can it happen again today? Could the so-called "Christians" unite to slander and persecute those who do not agree with their pet doctrines?
(John 15:18-21)
I don't know... But the so called Christians have been warring for a millennium. Catholics killing Protestants and Protestants killing Catholics.

The Bible speaks of denominations even in the epistles and the gospels and the holy men who wrote them didn't approve of the divisions. Luke 9:49-50. 1 Cor 1:11-13. These may not be "denominations" but it is the start of them.

So could it happen today? Yeah... I think it could. What if someone didn't believe in the Trinity, Christmas or Easter? Not many denominations will fellowship him! And if he gained any notoriety or following, they'd all unite to fight him.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Pythagorean12

Oct 8, 2021
Laurel
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's an artist that creates inspired paintings. She was once asked during an interview what religion she followed. Her answer was simply, my religion is God.

I like that .
Jesus, who was God made flesh, was born into a Jewish family. Jesus was a Jew.

It cracks me up whenever I hear white supremacists invoke Jesus after they cast aspersions against the Jews.

I know they're ignorant but collectively stupid is just bad form.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't know... But the so called Christians have been warring for a millennium. Catholics killing Protestants and Protestants killing Catholics.
Yes, its as if Christ never said to "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:43-44) You cant love your enemies with guns and bombs...

The Bible speaks of denominations even in the epistles and the gospels and the holy men who wrote them didn't approve of the divisions. Luke 9:49-50. 1 Cor 1:11-13. These may not be "denominations" but it is the start of them.
I agree.....there was only one faith that Jesus started.....satan sowed 'weeds' among the 'wheat' and here we are...ready for the "harvest". Jesus knows the difference. (Matthew 7:21-23)

So could it happen today? Yeah... I think it could. What if someone didn't believe in the Trinity, Christmas or Easter? Not many denominations will fellowship him! And if he gained any notoriety or following, they'd all unite to fight him.
I heard someone say that if Jesus came back today and sided with a group that the majority despised, they'd string him up again. Probably right....
confused0024.gif

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What Denomination was Jesus?
The same religion as Adam was when God created him....there was no denomination.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah it would be nice if we had one church. A church that teaches universal truth. A church that doesn’t have child molesting “priests”. I would call it “The church of Christianity”!
Yeah but not only does the Roman Catholic Church have Pedophile Priests, so do the Protestant ones and also Rabbis, can't just point your finger at one Church.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus had pagan blood running in his veins according to his genealogy. I'd say he was pretty denominated :)

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah but not only does the Roman Catholic Church have Pedophile Priests, so do the Protestant ones and also Rabbis, can't just point your finger at one Church.
I’m not pointing my finger at one church. Isn’t it interesting that you immediately thought about the RCC when I mentioned child molesters? Like I said we should have one church.