What did Christ give up

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Hello all I have a question that I have been pondering for a minute now.We all know that Christ died for us,but other than His life what else did He give up,I ask this because Christ knew that He would live again after He laid down His life,so I can't help but think it was much more than this act alone.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Interesting questio N2 I need to think about this but the first thing that comes to mind is life is much more than just breathing.

John

Mar 31, 2007
HelloIf we are born again, we know we will live again, does that make this life less precious. I am not ready to leave, even though I feel I would live again Because he knew he would live again, does this mean he shouldn't fear the pain of flogging or crucification. What about being separate from the Father for the first time since eternity past Leaving heaven for usLeaving the worship of all the heavenly hosts, for usgoing from the Creator to the createdAllowing Satan to tempt himHe humbled himself as a man and washed the feet of his disciples our God the creator of everything did this for usWas there something more, He knows all my pain and trouble He knows my sorrows why because he lived themIsa 531Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? 2For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 3He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. 7He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. 8He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. 9And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. 10Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 11He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. 12Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.and I am sure there is much more

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
He gave up at least four things in His Passion by humbling Himself to a status beneath that which He is due;[list type=decimal][*]a death that He was not bound to - it was voluntary[*]a place He certainly did not have to be in and did not earn for Himself - His body in the ground and His soul in Hell[*]endured shame and mockery that was not due Him[*]delivered Himself up to the power of man (to kill him) - something beneath Him and that He did not have to do - voluntary[/list]

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(DrBubbaLove;34469)
He gave up at least four things in His Passion by humbling Himself to a status beneath that which He is due;[list type=decimal][*]a death that He was not bound to - it was voluntary[*]a place He certainly did not have to be in and did not earn for Himself - His body in the ground and His soul in Hell[*]endured shame and mockery that was not due Him[*]delivered Himself up to the power of man (to kill him) - something beneath Him and that He did not have to do - voluntary[/list]
... His soul is no longer in Hell (Prison).... He was raised up on the third day according to scriptures... (Matthew 17:23, Matthew 20:19, Matthew 28:1-9, Mark 9:31, Mark 10:34, Luke 9:22, Luke 24:7, Luke 24:46, Acts 10:40, I Corinthians 15:4) And besides He was in the sepulchre, and no one saw His corruption, as it wiritten in here... (Acts 2:27, Acts 13:35, which was prophecy in Psalm 16:10)JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Mighty Bear

Oct 20, 2007
"Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted." Hebrews 2:17-18 (ESV)

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
(thesuperjag;34478)
... His soul is no longer in Hell (Prison).... He was raised up on the third day according to scriptures... (Matthew 17:23, Matthew 20:19, Matthew 28:1-9, Mark 9:31, Mark 10:34, Luke 9:22, Luke 24:7, Luke 24:46, Acts 10:40, I Corinthians 15:4) And besides He was in the sepulchre, and no one saw His corruption, as it wiritten in here... (Acts 2:27, Acts 13:35, which was prophecy in Psalm 16:10)Jag
So are you suggesting that by having His body in a tomb and His Soul in Hell that Christ did not really give up anything??????Or the fact that no one alive saw His Body in the tomb or His Soul in Hell somehow means He did not really give up anything???????I am not following your thoughts here.

Jan 26, 2008
Jesus Christ was probably one of the most persecuted persons in history, and on top of that He had no place to lay His head, he lived in the Spirit which leaves no room for the world and the pleasures of it, so he was most deffinetley tempted, and by satan himself, who took him to high places and not only showed him wonders but offered these as gifts. And who among us could resist that hold of satan, certainly not those dark ones who rule our world at his direction, but Jesus did in all His Holiness. The most important thing that Jesus gave up was The Holy Ghost which he has sent for all. Praise Him always.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(DrBubbaLove;34489)
(thesuperjag;34478)
... His soul is no longer in Hell (Prison).... He was raised up on the third day according to scriptures... (Matthew 17:23, Matthew 20:19, Matthew 28:1-9, Mark 9:31, Mark 10:34, Luke 9:22, Luke 24:7, Luke 24:46, Acts 10:40, I Corinthians 15:4) And besides He was in the sepulchre, and no one saw His corruption, as it wiritten in here... (Acts 2:27, Acts 13:35, which was prophecy in Psalm 16:10)Jag
So are you suggesting that by having His body in a tomb and His Soul in Hell that Christ did not really give up anything??????Or the fact that no one alive saw His Body in the tomb or His Soul in Hell somehow means He did not really give up anything???????I am not following your thoughts here.If Christ's body was in the ground, then scriptures becomes broken saying that they lied that Christ was not in the sepulchre...Give me a break here.Since nobody saw Christ in the sepulchre, so how can you say that He was on the ground? Human would have to bury Him to have Him on ground...but nobody in this world saw His corruption period.Christ is in Heaven.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Shan Missions

Nov 18, 2007
(n2thelight;34461)
Hello all I have a question that I have been pondering for a minute now.We all know that Christ died for us,but other than His life what else did He give up,I ask this because Christ knew that He would live again after He laid down His life,so I can't help but think it was much more than this act alone.
Jesus is God also Man.As God He gives up all heavenly things for us.As Man He gives up all worldly things (worldly pleasures) for us.

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
(thesuperjag;34565)
If Christ's body was in the ground, then scriptures becomes broken saying that they lied that Christ was not in the sepulchre...Give me a break here.Since nobody saw Christ in the sepulchre, so how can you say that He was on the ground? Human would have to bury Him to have Him on ground...but nobody in this world saw His corruption period.Christ is in Heaven.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.
Give you a break????????This is a Christian site, guess I just assumed most people here believed Christ rose on the third day. Did not realize I would confuse you by saying Christ's Body was in the ground. For until the Third day and from His Death on the Cross, what was it the 3pm, He had the Body of a dead Man.The point was that He died, His body is in the ground and His soul in Hell until the Third day. Those were things that He did not have to do, but He submitted Himself to God's Will and humbled Himself to a position that was beneath the dignity owed Him. The OP asked what He gave up by dying on the Cross besides just dying.

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
Guess in some sense one could also speak of a loss suffered by taking on ALL our sins; which would be giving up a peace (mental and physical), a peace in soul and body that we cannot know in this life. That had to hurt taking all that on, so He gave up a lot in doing that.