What distinguishes a "Protestant?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I fully realize not many of us seem capable of giving any answer in just a few sentences. But, can we try this time, in this one thread, if nowhere else? Can we just point out what we think is the primary thing that distinguishes one as a Protestant?
I'll start. I say a Protestant is one who believes the Bible can be read and understood by ordinary people..... and should be.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I say a Protestant is one who believes the Bible can be read and understood by ordinary people..... and should be.
True. At the same time, the stance of a Protestant (and this could also include all non-Catholics, whether Protestant or not) is summed up in the Five Solas of the Reformation:

The Five Solas are:
  1. Sola Scriptura (“Scripture alone”): The Bible alone is our highest authority.
  2. Sola Fide (“faith alone”): We are saved through faith alone in Jesus Christ.
  3. Sola Gratia (“grace alone”): We are saved by the grace of God alone.
  4. Solus Christus (“Christ alone”): Jesus Christ alone is our Lord, Savior, and King.
  5. Soli Deo Gloria (“to the glory of God alone”): We live for the glory of God alone.
Technically Protestants are those who are members of the Reformed Churches, which include the Reformed congregations (calling themselves Reformed), Presbyterians, Lutherans, Anglicans/Episcopalians. The Methodists came out of the Anglicans. But many (if not most) mainline churches have seriously departed from the original Protestant position because of theological liberalism.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a matter of keeping us all informed, who coined those "solas" and on what authority did they assume to do that? I mean, those are Latin terms, and none of the Bible was originally written in Latin, was it? They do kind of sound like "doctrines".

And I am having some trouble with your mention of "the original Protestant position." Wasn't the original Protestant position that most things about the Catholic church (the Christian church, as it was known) were valid and correct, but had been corrupted by unscrupulous cardinals, bishops, and priests, etc. and just needed a cleaning and straightening up?

Reactions: GodsGrace and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I fully realize not many of us seem capable of giving any answer in just a few sentences. But, can we try this time, in this one thread, if nowhere else? Can we just point out what we think is the primary thing that distinguishes one as a Protestant?
I'll start. I say a Protestant is one who believes the Bible can be read and understood by ordinary people..... and should be.

Only from my memory of old...the Mass is like a reenactment of the Last Supper...or kind of a memorial of Christs crucifixion. I asked @GodsGrace one time, as she is surrounded by and knows many priests personally-"Why don't they teach the bible like Protestants do?" She asked a priest that one time and he said "because it is not a classroom"...

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone with a beef with Catholicism...:rolleyes:
I like that. And, in truth, I do believe a strong feeling of animosity for the opposite religion really WAS the main force that fueled both Protestants and Catholics up until as late as the early 1960's.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only from my memory of old...the Mass is like a reenactment of the Last Supper...or kind of a memorial of Christs crucifixion. I asked @GodsGrace one time, as she is surrounded by and knows many priests personally-"Why don't they teach the bible like Protestants do?" She asked a priest that one time and he said "because it is not a classroom"...
To Protestants, it is mainly a classroom. And to Catholics it is the weekly mandatory requirement of refueling with the sacraments.

Reactions: Nancy

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As a matter of keeping us all informed, who coined those "solas" and on what authority did they assume to do that?
On the basis of Scripture alone, 'all of the solas show up in various writings by the Protestant Reformers, but they are not catalogued together by any... For example, in 1554 Melanchthon wrote, "sola gratia justificamus et sola fide justificamur"[4] ("only by grace do we justify and only by faith are we justified")'. See Wikipedia.
Wasn't the original Protestant position that most things about the Catholic church (the Christian church, as it was known) were valid and correct, but had been corrupted by unscrupulous cardinals, bishops, and priests, etc. and just needed a cleaning and straightening up?
Not really. Long before the Reformation, John Wycliffe addressed the false teachings of the RCC and condemned them. For example, he explained the meaning of the bread in the Lord's Supper as opposed to the Mass:

In the same manner, accordingly, though the bread becometh the body of Christ, by virtue of his words, it need not cease to be bread. For it is bread substantially, after it has begun to be sacramentally the body of Christ. For thus saith Christ, “This is my body,” and in consequence of these words, this must be admitted, like the assertion in the eleventh chapter of the gospel of Matthew, about the Baptist: “And if ye will receive it, this is Elias.” And Christ doth not, to avoid equivocation, contradict the Baptist, when he declares, “I am not Elias.” The one meaning that he was Elias figuratively, the other, that he was not Elias personally. And in the same manner it is merely a double meaning, and not a contradiction, in those who admit that this sacrament is not naturally the body of Christ, but that this same sacrament is Christ’s body figuratively.

Reactions: Nancy and Willie T

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I like that. And, in truth, I do believe a strong feeling of animosity for the opposite religion really WAS the main force that fueled both Protestants and Catholics up until as late as the early 1960's.
Well someone has a beef with all religions, but he will deal with that in His time, and I would of thought, based on catholic thinking, a protestant is anyone who isnt a catholic.. We could ask the Irish.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
On the basis of Scripture alone, 'all of the solas show up in various writings by the Protestant Reformers, but they are not catalogued together by any... For example, in 1554 Melanchthon wrote, "sola gratia justificamus et sola fide justificamur"[4] ("only by grace do we justify and only by faith are we justified")'. See Wikipedia.

Not really. Long before the Reformation, John Wycliffe addressed the false teachings of the RCC and condemned them. For example, he explained the meaning of the bread in the Lord's Supper as opposed to the Mass:

In the same manner, accordingly, though the bread becometh the body of Christ, by virtue of his words, it need not cease to be bread. For it is bread substantially, after it has begun to be sacramentally the body of Christ. For thus saith Christ, “This is my body,” and in consequence of these words, this must be admitted, like the assertion in the eleventh chapter of the gospel of Matthew, about the Baptist: “And if ye will receive it, this is Elias.” And Christ doth not, to avoid equivocation, contradict the Baptist, when he declares, “I am not Elias.” The one meaning that he was Elias figuratively, the other, that he was not Elias personally. And in the same manner it is merely a double meaning, and not a contradiction, in those who admit that this sacrament is not naturally the body of Christ, but that this same sacrament is Christ’s body figuratively.
Your first paragraph is also believed by Catholics...so this cannot be the distinguishing point.

I won't get into the second paragraph,,,I'll only say that the Early Church Fathers (theologians) believed it was the body and blood of Jesus...in what way I haven't yet discovered. Or, at least, to my satisfaction.

I'd say, as to the O.P., that the major difference is indeed the Eucharist.

Also, the understanding of
sanctification,
confession,
baptism.
original sin.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi Willie,
Please see my post no. 12

Also, I find that catholics rely wholly on the church, while Protestants like to read the bible for themselves and some come up with their own understandings.

I've come to not know anymore which is worse....
Each has its pros and cons.

D

Dave L

Protestantism's leading traits;

The main split between Protestants and Catholics was over the Catholic doctrine of free will. Luther wrote "The Bondage of the Will" to refute Erasmus, the Roman Catholic theologian and bible translator, thereby bolstering the Reformation. Luther taught the will is enslaved to the sinful flesh and cannot choose righteousness apart from God's grace. Making salvation a supernatural event in a person's life.

A second split came over the Reformers teaching that the Papacy is Antichrist. People were leaving that church in droves until the Jesuits came up with an alternative view, popular today in Dispensationalism. A claim that the Antichrist is yet to come diverting attention away from the Papacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Harvest 1874

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Willie,
Please see my post no. 12

Also, I find that catholics rely wholly on the church, while Protestants like to read the bible for themselves and some come up with their own understandings.

I've come to not know anymore which is worse....
Each has its pros and cons.
True. And I think a secret lies in doing that. I think the Bible tells us the WAY to live, not the rituals to perform.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
True. And I think a secret lies in doing that. I think the Bible tells us the WAY to live, not the rituals to perform.
The only ritual I can think of would be baptism.
Are there others?
I DO agree with you.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Wait...what's "many" priests??
That would be 3.
I know others too that I have contact with but they don't come over my house...

Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like Luther's premise of "the priesthood of all men." Of course, that knocked the Catholic refusal of the mass given to all "in BOTH kinds", right out of the water. (It means the common people got to drink the wine too.)

I think a lot of Protestantism is the returning of the church to the people instead of it being seen as the strict domain of the hierarchy elite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and GodsGrace

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess the toughest idea of Protestantism is not having a human authority to turn to in order to give you "answers" that you don't have to derive for yourself from reading and absorbing the Scriptures.

But we Protestants often resist that by, in actuality, making "pseudo-Popes" out of the preachers we agree with... or just happen to like.