What do you do when God doesn't answer prayer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that this struggle is as old as the hills but I'd still like to get feedback from other believers. I've seen some prayers miraculously answered; I knew it was from God. Yet other answers - very deep and heartfelt longings and prayer for good things for family members and answers have not come to pass. I go before God many many many times throughout my day and pray for things that I believe are in keeping with His will, yet my prayers result in nothing.

I know that other believers have this happen and I wonder how you deal with it? I've had people say that there must be some sin in one's life, (Job's friends) or that God's timing is not ready yet, but the petitioning to God continues to bear nothing and yet I know God hears me.

When my mother was dying of cancer she prayed and no healing came. I remember her telling God: "I know you hear me." That's where I think we as believers have an even greater struggle than unbelievers: We know God hears us, yet withholds answers.

I spoke with a lawyer one time who handled a well-known case of priests molesting youth. I knew he was struggling when he said: "There is no God! That's why you're suffering!" I knew instinctively that the horrid things he heard had caused him to lose his faith. There have been many times when I felt like turning my back on God, and at times I have. But then I learn there is nowhere else to go. ("Whom have I in heaven but you?")

So how do you reconcile the suffering in this world - and your own - of good people and the seeming non-suffering of heathens? I've read Psalm 73 a number of times but it still doesn't cut it. I still petition God and ask Him to answer.

D

Dave L

I think the greatest trials come in knowing God controls all, and that he could but does not relieve suffering in us and those we love most. This I believe is the supreme test of our love for him. And it is definitely gold being purified in the fire. Many become bitter with God in this situation and find that they actually hate him. But I relate to it this way.

I believe I deserve the worst because of who and what I am. And I rejoice in anything less than this, and count it a blessing. When God comes through I really rejoice knowing it is nothing but grace and mercy. Also it builds a memory base of miraculous events I've experienced by his hand as a believer. But Paul learned to be content no matter his circumstances, even while sitting on death row.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God is not there to make our lives easy.
We pray because we want to talk with our heavenly Father, not because we want things.

When life is tough and our prayer for life to be comfortable aren't answered, we have a choise.
To trust God and continue or to reject God.

When life kicks one in the teeth and stamps on ones hand it is hard to choose to trust God.

No where are we promised an easy, comfortable life, if anything the promise is that we will have a cross to carry to our exceution site.

What are you trusting in? A comfortable life or in a place with Jesus!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I know that this struggle is as old as the hills but I'd still like to get feedback from other believers. I've seen some prayers miraculously answered; I knew it was from God. Yet other answers - very deep and heartfelt longings and prayer for good things for family members and answers have not come to pass. I go before God many many many times throughout my day and pray for things that I believe are in keeping with His will, yet my prayers result in nothing.

I know that other believers have this happen and I wonder how you deal with it? I've had people say that there must be some sin in one's life, (Job's friends) or that God's timing is not ready yet, but the petitioning to God continues to bear nothing and yet I know God hears me.

When my mother was dying of cancer she prayed and no healing came. I remember her telling God: "I know you hear me." That's where I think we as believers have an even greater struggle than unbelievers: We know God hears us, yet withholds answers.

I spoke with a lawyer one time who handled a well-known case of priests molesting youth. I knew he was struggling when he said: "There is no God! That's why you're suffering!" I knew instinctively that the horrid things he heard had caused him to lose his faith. There have been many times when I felt like turning my back on God, and at times I have. But then I learn there is nowhere else to go. ("Whom have I in heaven but you?")

So how do you reconcile the suffering in this world - and your own - of good people and the seeming non-suffering of heathens? I've read Psalm 73 a number of times but it still doesn't cut it. I still petition God and ask Him to answer.
imo the greatest trials come in realizing that God does not control anything in the manner we are taught, and that God cannot relieve the suffering caused by reaping. Many Scriptures for this. We assume a LORD-and-serf relationship, and God will not respond to that imo.

Reactions: Acolyte

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The questions we need the answer to is,
Why are we here?
Are we here to enjoy this life as if it were all there was?
How old was Stephen [Acts chapter 7] when he was stoned to death? He was apparently a very young man who had never married and had children. He missed out on much that perhaps we as men of flesh say are important... but how important are they?

God will always give us the answers we need, but often we really do not know what we need. He always does.
We may think we know what is a good request, but do we really know?

When someone is physically dying do we know that it is God's will for that person to be healed every time? Does not the scripture state that there is a time to die? Is not the time of every person limited? Should we join King Hezekiah in praying to extend our physical life without really knowing God's will with regard to our end in the flesh?

Reactions: Acolyte and Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
imo the greatest trials come in realizing that God does not control anything in the manner we are taught, and that God cannot relieve the suffering caused by reaping. Many Scriptures for this. We assume a LORD-and-serf relationship, and God will not respond to that imo.
No, He does not because He gave men dominion over themselves. Sometimes people are hurt who did not directly cause the hurt themselves. This is easily seen in children hurt by negligent parents. The only correct answer I see is to surrender always to God even when the way we have to walk to do so seems so wrong to our flesh perceptions and the conclusions of our supposedly logical brain.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is not there to make our lives easy.
We pray because we want to talk with our heavenly Father, not because we want things.

When life is tough and our prayer for life to be comfortable aren't answered, we have a choise.
To trust God and continue or to reject God.

When life kicks one in the teeth and stamps on ones hand it is hard to choose to trust God.

No where are we promised an easy, comfortable life, if anything the promise is that we will have a cross to carry to our exceution site.

What are you trusting in? A comfortable life or in a place with Jesus!

It's very hard when life kicks you in the teeth. I see these people like Joel Osteen espousing the wealth gospel and my life has been more of a slug it out to make it to the next day. "All who will live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution." But at some point God has to see that we're weary and need a break but it seems like it doesn't come. "How long O Lord" has been my prayer seemingly forever. But it's good to hear how others cope with the prolooooooooonged times of testing.

Reactions: Acolyte

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sometimes we reap what others have sown however. I think they're the hardest trials to bear.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are we here?
How old was Stephen [Acts chapter 7] when he was stoned to death? He was apparently a very young man who had never married and had children. He missed out on much that perhaps we as men of flesh say are important... but how important are they?

God will always give us the answers we need, but often we really do not know what we need. He always does.

When someone is physically dying do we know that it is God's will for that person to be healed every time? Does not the scripture state that there is a time to die? Is not the time of every person limited? Should we join King Hezekiah in praying to extend our physical life without really knowing God's will with regard to our end in the flesh?

So you're saying to basically walk by faith?

Reactions: Acolyte and amadeus

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's very hard when life kicks you in the teeth. I see these people like Joel Osteen espousing the wealth gospel and my life has been more of a slug it out to make it to the next day. "All who will live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution." But at some point God has to see that we're weary and need a break but it seems like it doesn't come. "How long O Lord" has been my prayer seemingly forever. But it's good to hear how others cope with the prolooooooooonged times of testing.

Joel Osteen and a lot of others are nothing but cons. And they will pay in the lake of fire.

Don't give up. I have multiple disc ruptures in my back that have caused me pain for many years. And a couple of other issues.

But with God's support and the simple realization going into a self pity party only make it worse, I am probably happier than most.

My wife also has a back problem, but you won't get to the self-pity from her. She supports me and I support her.

We have a nicer than most home and a yard full very happy birds that it is fun to watch and feed.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think the heartening 'Till he come' in 1 Corinthians 11.26, often quoted at the Lord's Supper, is a wholesome part of the believer's vital prayer breath.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you're saying to basically walk by faith?

Walk in faith and remember, what is a long life on this earth compared to eternity.

We are here to prepare for eternity and help others in their efforts.

That is one reason I so strongly oppose Calvinism.

They have no allowance self preparation for helping others. To them is all done and sealed issue before one is even born.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are we here?

I am learning to be very careful for what I pray for, lol. Prayers for myself are pretty much to accomplish His will in my life and that I would see others through His eyes. But lately, it is often about recognizing the doors He opens and closes, and to act (or not) on it. I begged God to spare my mother but, it was her time. It did not make me angry at God as, like you said @amadeus , we have our appointed times to die and I knew that. I think, in hindsight sometimes we are GRATEFUL for unanswered prayer if He allows us to see why He did not grant it!
His Will Be Done!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A young pastor came up with the concept of Pray Until Something Happens or PUSH prayer.

It sounded great but I asked him two questions: -

If God decides to do nothing has something happened?

and

If God does what we ask of him to do, then who is God in this situation?

There is a very thin line which we can unintentionally cross when praying.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy