What do you get out of worship?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw this comment made today on a popular site by a popular pastor. I wanted to know your thoughts on the statement, and I'll share mine a bit later.
When I hear: "I didnt get anything out of worship today," I say, "Sorry but our worship wasn't done for you. It was for God (I Chr.16:29)."
The verse he mentioned:
I Chronicles 16:29Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
What say you?

gumby

May 29, 2009
It depends on what i put into it, if im lazy i dont get much out of it and if im stressed or seeking i get a lot out of it. Although worship to me isnt just defined by the bible itself its yoga, meditation, hypnosis and a number of other things :)

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
[quote name='SwampFox;72221]I saw this comment made today on a popular site by a popular pastor. I wanted to know your thoughts on the statement' date=' and I'll share mine a bit later. The verse he mentioned: What say you?[/QUOTE']I worship God in many ways. Many years ago He led me to spend up to 8 hours a day researching the Bible simply as an act of worship to Him, in between other commitments over a number of years. Being self-employed in my contracting business, an employer and a landlord I have to be disciplined in how I organise my time, but I regularly discern anointings of the Holy Spirit that combine these activities into "mutual faith ministries" which I consider to be acts of worship. I enjoy helping people that need rehabilitation in some form or other. Although I enjoy spiritually inspired singing in church services I do not regard it as the most important form of worship. Just attending an assembly of saints is an act of worship as well as being fellowship, stewardship, and discipleship, I say.

Deadwheat1224

Aug 27, 2009
"When I hear: "I didnt get anything out of worship today," I say, "Sorry but our worship wasn't done for you. It was for God (I Chr.16:29)." "I agree in a strict sense. Worship (again in a strict sense) is meant to glorify God and praise him for simply being God... not even necessarily what he has done... but just the fact that he Is God.In a loose sense however, Worship is used to bring us closer to both God and those whom which we worship. Therefore, "not getting anything out of worship", could be a "bad thing". However, (and this is my opinion) pray always has its dry moments. I guess that begs the question... Is worship for the sake of worship a bad thing, or do you always need to get something out of it..I hope that made at least a little sense...

epistemaniac

Aug 13, 2008
"I didnt get anything out of worship today,"
to me this is a statement that is indicative of the rampant "I" disease that pervades the church today... when you hear many (not all) of the contemporary worship songs they are all about me me me... God did this or well do that for me... or God will you do this or that for me.... God help me to feel close to you... God help me to be happy etc etc etc... and while all of these things are good as far as it goes, the real purpose in worship is not see "what I can get out of it" as if worship exists to fulfill my own inner subjective needs and desires, like God is some sort of self esteem dispenser in the sky... rather worship is meant to lift high the Holy One of Israel for who He is, for if He caused all life to stop today, if He never did one more thing for the human race, He would still deserve to be exceedingly lifted up in praise... worship is about who He is, not about how I feel.... and if people would stop spending so much time examining their belly button... looking within for truth, happiness, for what reality is, examining everything in light of who I am and how I feel... and start lifting their eyes up to the fill their gaze with the holiness and majesty of God instead of themselves, then woprship will stop being about them, and instead be about God, and THEN that which they desired, their happiness etc will happen because God desires us to be happy and filled with joy, but this happiness and joy... true happiness and joy... must itself be based on mankind fulfilling their ultimate purpose, namely to glorify God and/by enjoying Him forever...blessings,ken