What Do You Learn from Debate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw this question and thought it was a good one to ask. What is the purpose of debate? What have you learned personally from debating with other Christians? What is your favorite part about debating? What is your least favorite part about debating?

I guess personally I like to read the discussion at times. I don't like what feels like arguing, which I guess is debating.

B

Butterfly

Since being here on the forum I have realised that many people want the last word- hence why threads go on and on and on ..........
I also pick up on the reality that many are not here to listen, but to shout and Judge if someone says anything that does not fit in with thier views, their opinions, thier theology.
I like debates that tackles verses, issues, subjects and ' discusses ' it with maturity rather than ' immature reaction ' ( which I might add we are all capable of doing ) these threads often just come to natural end - and you can add the comments to the pot, reflect and it helps to clarify where you stand with the certain issue, subject or verses ect.
Rita x

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is the purpose of debate? What have you learned personally from debating with other Christians? What is your favorite part about debating? What is your least favorite part about debating?

I guess personally I like to read the discussion at times. I don't like what feels like arguing, which I guess is debating.

As Rita already mentioned , or was it you lol
I’m tired and it is heading toward 2am for me...

I think debate as we see on forums, shows that many of us have too much time on our hands , so we spend it on here. :)

I don’t like debates much st all , and often stay clear of them , but I see why some do.
I like the uplifting building threads, not the taring I down ones of debating.
But we are each here for different reasons.

In one way, anything which causes us to check the word and get into the scriptures is a good thing.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My debates are short. I'm always looking for a new angle to the truth....and responses can provide that. Or else a person with a skewed view will get belligerent and start forcing a poor understanding. I will point out the imbalance once then bow out of the debate. It's no use arguing with a head-strong person.

Arguing for arguing sake is foolish. Some people like to do drive-by postings filled with every non-Christian trait...while proclaiming to have a better understanding. I would think that most of us would see through that sort of thing.

But then there are those who sincerely hold to as aspect of the truth...but do so while denying other input that shows that their understanding is lacking. When I see that a person doesn't admit that a new perspective (with the support of the bible) is just as valid as the one they are white-knuckling...I bow out.

Self-willed people are just contentious...looking to hog the spotlight in ignorance. These display neither love for the brethren nor the fear of the Lord. Such foolishness!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw this question and thought it was a good one to ask. What is the purpose of debate? What have you learned personally from debating with other Christians? What is your favorite part about debating? What is your least favorite part about debating?

I think when we debate WHILE we walk in the Spirit and not the flesh, we help each other because we can all add what we have been given to the pot and bring up verses that a brother or sister may not be considering in their thoughts. I get the most help in debates in just this way - by the verses I'm not adding into the equation that my brothers bring up.

It used to really disturb me when people got mean in these discussions but then I began to see that God allows it so we can learn to keep walking in the Spirit. Its practice for us!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think that the purpose of engaging in Christian conversation and debate is that we might one day say this...

Is. 50:4 The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.

We are to both speak and listen for edification of the inner man of faith.

After all our postings may be being monitored by God. ;)

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that the purpose of engaging in Christian conversation and debate is that we might one day say this...

Is. 50:4 The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.

We are to both speak and listen for edification of the inner man of faith.

After all our postings may be being monitored by God. ;)

Have often wished that there was at least an "AMEN!" feature to reply to posts instead of "LIKE" all the time?...but I suppose "LIKE" is synonymous with...

What a Verse)post Is. 50:4...The Lord God hath given...the tongue the Word the ear and the edification!
Hope I didn't overtax this reply :) just joy! \0/

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Multiple times I get mixed up with Facebook messenger on here and try to hold the "like" down to get the different emojis. All I can do on here is like and unlike yall's posts multiple times. But then it shows up as a 100 alerts. Bahahaha. Love this.

Reactions: Helen and marks

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1.) The purpose? to present and discuss opposing views concerning a subject.

2.) What have I learned? I learn more about the subject due to the opponents argument. I learn more about the subject as it forces me to dig deeper and be able to prove my position. I learn alot about the individual I debate with.

3.) My favorite and least favorite aspect of debate? I don't really think I have one. Debate by definition is engaging opposition. It is verbal dueling. It is a fight. Teaching the Bible is a joy to do. Debate not so much. But it is necessary. Picture yourself teaching a class. Someone stands up and says, that's a bunch of bull. Immediately you shift gears from teaching to debating. If you ignore it, you leave the impression that the accusation was correct, even though some may not say it.

Stranger

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good thread.

For me, there's a difference between "discussion" and "debate". "Discussion" is two or more people talking about a point together. It involves listening and working towards a better understanding of things. I've had many great discussion where in I've learned more about other people's views of things.

"Debate" tends to be no one listening to anyone and every one arguing trying to "prove" their view. It's seldom yields any good fruits, and I try my best to avoid such.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have often wished that there was at least an "AMEN!" feature to reply to posts instead of "LIKE" all the time?...but I suppose "LIKE" is synonymous with...

What a Verse)post Is. 50:4...The Lord God hath given...the tongue the Word the ear and the edification!
Hope I didn't overtax this reply :) just joy! \0/

I think it's in proverbs where it says, everyone loves an apt reply, its wonderful to say the right thing at the right time.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since being here on the forum I have realised that many people want the last word- hence why threads go on and on and on ..........
I also pick up on the reality that many are not here to listen, but to shout and Judge if someone says anything that does not fit in with thier views, their opinions, thier theology.
I like debates that tackles verses, issues, subjects and ' discusses ' it with maturity rather than ' immature reaction ' ( which I might add we are all capable of doing ) these threads often just come to natural end - and you can add the comments to the pot, reflect and it helps to clarify where you stand with the certain issue, subject or verses ect.
Rita x

Good thread @Mayflower ,
Personally, I love to watch many types of debates on YouTube. Online debates, everyone want's to be their own moderator :rolleyes: Then the name calling and insults begin. That is my cue to exit stage left! Usually...if someone I care much about on here is being attacked in that way, I will feel compelled to defend them. I am not exempt from some of these debate threads that come close to home for me personally, so yes, I too involve myself...to a point. If it just goes in circles (which most of them do) I am out of there. Not that we should not glean what is good from some of these debates, but if not addressed in love and gentleness...I can't hear it. ♥

Reactions: Helen and Mayflower

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good thread.

For me, there's a difference between "discussion" and "debate". "Discussion" is two or more people talking about a point together. It involves listening and working towards a better understanding of things. I've had many great discussion where in I've learned more about other people's views of things.

"Debate" tends to be no one listening to anyone and every one arguing trying to "prove" their view. It's seldom yields any good fruits, and I try my best to avoid such.
Debate is to determine the truth.

Reactions: Mayflower

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Multiple times I get mixed up with Facebook messenger on here and try to hold the "like" down to get the different emojis. All I can do on here is like and unlike yall's posts multiple times. But then it shows up as a 100 alerts. Bahahaha. Love this.
So that's how that happens!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good thread.

I think some may not have a good understanding of what debate is, or should be anyway. I look at the college model. One person gives their assertions, and their support. Another person gives their assertions and support, and refutation to the first speaker. The purspose, for me, in a debate is to pit two points of view against each other with the Bible as arbitor between the two.

I think a good debate should address the assertions made, not sidestep them, and likewise address subsequent points. But rather than engage in debate that way, if someone cannot answer a challenge to their POV in Scripture, it is so very easy to do one of any number of things, from insulting, ignoring, throwing in red herrings, and all sorts of logical fallacies, making accusations, and anything but answering.

And then I don't see much purpose at all.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think some may not have a good understanding of what debate is, or should be anyway. I look at the college model. One person gives their assertions, and their support. Another person gives their assertions and support, and refutation to the first speaker. The purspose, for me, in a debate is to pit two points of view against each other with the Bible as arbitor between the two.

I think a good debate should address the assertions made, not sidestep them, and likewise address subsequent points. But rather than engage in debate that way, if someone cannot answer a challenge to their POV in Scripture, it is so very easy to do one of any number of things, from insulting, ignoring, throwing in red herrings, and all sorts of logical fallacies, making accusations, and anything but answering.

Much love!

That's the problem right there....when you treat eternal things with the same regard or disregard as temporal things. They (the eternal things) are on an entirely different level whereby the normal process of the carnal mind is unwelcome. The things of the Spirit are foolishness to the natural man. So the debate always devolves into the opinion of someone who is devoid of life and truth....and from a personal opinion formulated by the natural mind.

As soon as I see the unbelief in a poster...I avoid that person.

Reactions: Mayflower and Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

I agree Marks,
An online forum is not a place to have an officially moderated and orderly debate. They all turn into arguments it seems. Our God is a God of order, afterall :)

Reactions: Mayflower

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good thread.

:D :)

That deserves more that just a "like". Well said.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth comes via the Holy Spirit...it can never come via arguments. Which is all debates are.... = 'who has the last word'

In many of the debates on this site...the Holy Spirit never gets a look in.
And truth leaves when He leaves...

There is plenty of debate reported in the New Testament.

You are wearing blinders.