What Do You Look For In A Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Do You Look For In A Church Body?

• Youth Groups

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Married and single groups

• Pastoral visits

• Total voters

SouthernStorm

Feb 11, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I personally would appreciate them all, when finding a church body to belong to and would have put more choices but the poll does not allow for more than what appears here. Thanks for your votes and comments.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All of the above. I would add that I don't think youth groups are healthy in that the young shouldn't be leading the young. There will be exceptions to the rule however. We live in a fragmented society that worships youth and disparages older people. But how are the young going to learn anything of lasting value if they have no access to older people?

Is that why we see so little wisdom today?

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To the list I would add Fellowship/Love, i.e., Spiritually Alive.

1. Biblically based (truth)
2. Theologically sound (Truth in logic and practice)
3. Spiritually alive (Life- Love one another and the lost)
4. Opportunity to use your gifts within the Body (purpose)

I believe that this describes a True Church (as a functional Body of Believers).

A true Church seeks God and what He says. (Bible as the standard). It does not devolve into heresy (Theology in doctrine and practice). It is composed of genuine, Born-Again Believers that are marked by their Love for One Another and a love-driven desire to save the lost. (Spiritually Alive). It functions as Ephesians 4 describes as "equipping the Saints for the work of the ministry." Each believer using their gifts within the Body for the building up the Body for glory of God.

Regrettably, these are rare. We tend to find either Spiritless Formalism, or Formless Spiritualism in practice. Perfect theology and doctrine does not make a Church without spiritual life. Spiritual Life cannot amount to a Church if it is off the rails doctrinally. Few Churches have a spiritual life where God's love within them and through them is what binds them together. Most Churches today do not encourage and involve their people to "do" the ministry, but just "hire" another "professional" to fill that function. This leaves little to no opportunity for people to use their gifts for the Body, nor the chance to develop that gift that God has given them.

To summarize what I want in a Church:

I want a Body of Believers that love one another, seek God with all their hearts to find his will and truth. I want to love and be loved in fellowship, and be encouraged to use whatever gifts that God has blessed me with for the glory of God.

Am I asking too much, or are we called to warm 18 inches of lumber once a week?

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 4:17

For it is time for judgment to begin with God's household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of the above. I would add that I don't think youth groups are healthy in that the young shouldn't be leading the young. There will be exceptions to the rule however. We live in a fragmented society that worships youth and disparages older people. But how are the young going to learn anything of lasting value if they have no access to older people?

I have never thought about it that way. I have a neighbor who is working as a Youth Pastor in a Church. What troubles me is that he wants to do Youth only, and has no desire to ever move beyond that and be a Pastor of a Church. I have always wondered if this is a young persons "dream job" of getting paid to have fun, low accountability, and an "easy" job. It used to be assumed in most Churches that the Youth Ministry was a foot in the door to gain experience that would one day lead to being the Pastor of a Church. Has it always been this way, and I just assumed that there was a forward-looking purpose in those that are in Youth Ministry?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is a good point. I have grandchildren and the losses and hardships in their lives are already breathtaking. What I’d want is what you said above in not finding a church that groups them with other children as leaders...but with mature men and women who would be examples of the perseverance of God.

SouthernStorm

Feb 11, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
To the list I would add Fellowship/Love, i.e., Spiritually Alive.

1. Biblically based (truth)
2. Theologically sound (Truth in logic and practice)
3. Spiritually alive (Life- Love one another and the lost)
4. Opportunity to use your gifts within the Body (purpose)

I believe that this describes a True Church (as a functional Body of Believers).

A true Church seeks God and what He says. (Bible as the standard). It does not devolve into heresy (Theology in doctrine and practice). It is composed of genuine, Born-Again Believers that are marked by their Love for One Another and a love-driven desire to save the lost. (Spiritually Alive). It functions as Ephesians 4 describes as "equipping the Saints for the work of the ministry." Each believer using their gifts within the Body for the building up the Body for glory of God.

Regrettably, these are rare. We tend to find either Spiritless Formalism, or Formless Spiritualism in practice. Perfect theology and doctrine does not make a Church without spiritual life. Spiritual Life cannot amount to a Church if it is off the rails doctrinally. Few Churches have a spiritual life where God's love within them and through them is what binds them together. Most Churches today do not encourage and involve their people to "do" the ministry, but just "hire" another "professional" to fill that function. This leaves little to no opportunity for people to use their gifts for the Body, nor the chance to develop that gift that God has given them.

To summarize what I want in a Church:

I want a Body of Believers that love one another, seek God with all their hearts to find his will and truth. I want to love and be loved in fellowship, and be encouraged to use whatever gifts that God has blessed me with for the glory of God.

Am I asking too much, or are we called to warm 18 inches of lumber once a week?

Yes indeed, fellowship. Most important for the whole family of God gathered together in a body. I would also like to add, outreach which can be anything from visiting a rest home or lonely elderly or bringing them food. Having a soup kitchen open to the community on various days. Having arms off the church like a free toy library for the littleuns, art and craft days and so forth....

Reactions: Triumph1300

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apostolic Succession and historical continuity from the 1st century.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did a lot of judging.
Paul also did.
We have to judge to check correct doctrine is being preached.

Warning and judging are different.
So is getting angry

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus got angry.
Quoting popey is not good.

which is different than judging.

what is wrong with the quote? Is it worse than using the slur “popey”?