What does anyone consider truths essential for followers of Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On another thread today, I saw where someone posed that question. I would like to know myself what people do with this question. Are some things essential to everyone in order to please God or to make it the end our course with Him? Then again, just exactly do we mean when we use that word, essential?

Reactions: Heart2Soul

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On another thread today, I saw where someone posed that question. I would like to know myself what people do with this question. Are some things essential to everyone in order to please God or to make it the end our course with Him? Then again, just exactly do we mean when we use that word, essential?

Spirit of truth would be essential to make it to the end. Without the Spirit of truth then how can one know what is truly essential or what pleases God? I used to believe saying a prayer and accepting Jesus into my heart when I was ten pleased God and it was enough. I used to believe faith was something I just spoke I have. Seeing now dead faith is different than Living Faith. Wanted to add the point is Amadeus that I could list some things I believe are essential and tomorrow that could change if shown they are wrong ...but what is essential is His guidance.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Last edited:

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Truth is always essential because Jesus IS the Truth.

And thus we know His words are True.
Fear not and believe!

Peace be with you!

Reactions: amadeus

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can think of three things. I believe these have always been true.

1. God is kindly disposed to men, that God is perfectly Loving, Wise, and Powerful.
2. Despite any appearances to the contrary, God will provide what we need. Somehow God will reveal to men what they need to know, so the concept of Messiah is essential. While prophets reveal some things in part, someday somehow God will provide all we need to know.
3. Repent of all wrongs we know we have done in the past and resolve to avoid such actions in the future. If we are injuring other people, we are not pleasing God Who wants only good things for all His children.

Therefore someone could believe on Messiah without ever hearing about him from other people and even before he had been born.

The third point must be acted on.

Psalm 15: 1 Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the Lord. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.
5 He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

I must believe God loves others as much as He loves me so He doesn't want me to injure them. I must accept the Golden Rule.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spirit of truth would be essential to make it to the end. Without the Spirit of truth then how can one know what is truly essential or what pleases God?
Yes, indeed! It brings us back to hearing His voice and paying attention to what we hear.
I used to believe saying a prayer and accepting Jesus into my heart when I was ten pleased God and it was enough. I used to believe faith was something I just spoke I have.
I believe that when you believed like that sincerely if something had caused your physical life to end... it would have been enough. You were very young and had comparatively little 'clutter' in your experiences yet. God would have looked simply at the sincerely surrendered heart.

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

Seeing now dead faith is different than Living Faith. Wanted to add the point is Amadeus that I could list some things I believe are essential and tomorrow that could change if shown they are wrong ...but what is essential is His guidance.
One might say even that this is one of those absolutes which are seemingly so elusive. I am able to go back through my own life and the changes God has made in me as to what I considered really important. Yes, it is still happening to me. For anyone who is still growing in God, it is happening to them as well.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Amen!

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then again, just exactly do we mean when we use that word, essential?
Let's start with this. That which is essential is (1) necessary for salvation and (2) necessary for sanctification. This is Gospel truth, and if one needs just one book in the Bible that lays out Gospel truth fully, it is the epistle to the Romans. So a study and application of what is revealed in Romans is essential for every Christian (and non-Christian).

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can think of three things. I believe these have always been true.

1. God is kindly disposed to men, that God is perfectly Loving, Wise, and Powerful.
He would have to be to put up with what He has with men since there have been men. With Noah it would have been so easy it seems for Him to simply to let the flood take it all. But... that's looking at my own limited perspective with sometimes very limited patience with the ways of men which I see all around me and in myself. How close has our own perspective approached His? How close can it approach?

2. Despite any appearances to the contrary, God will provide what we need. Somehow God will reveal to men what they need to know, so the concept of Messiah is essential. While prophets reveal some things in part, someday somehow God will provide all we need to know.
Man's problem has always been not really knowing what he needs. Oh, many men think they do, but I believe that many men are wrong in that way of thinking. When we really do see/hear the Messiah, even then it is not uncommon to reject it because we have our own priorities in place.

3. Repent of all wrongs we know we have done in the past and resolve to avoid such actions in the future. If we are injuring other people, we are not pleasing God Who wants only good things for all His children.

Therefore someone could believe on Messiah without ever hearing about him from other people and even before he had been born.

The third point must be acted on.
Give God the glory, my friend! Give God the glory!

Psalm 15: 1 Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the Lord. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.
5 He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

I must believe God loves others as much as He loves me so He doesn't want me to injure them. I must accept the Golden Rule.
I remember long ago you telling about the tremendous impact that Psalm... number 15 had on you. I have more details, but I'll leave disclosing them to your discretion.

I also remember that Psalm 15 from my pastor's wife. She was a wonderful piano player and frequently she would play the piano and sing that psalm. She left us a little over seven years ago but that is just one of the many good memories she left for me and others. She had 90 years here, but her husband continues walking here with God having just attained his 94th a couple of months ago.

Reactions: Nancy and Giuliano

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's start with this. That which is essential is (1) necessary for salvation and (2) necessary for sanctification. This is Gospel truth, and if one needs just one book in the Bible that lays out Gospel truth fully, it is the epistle to the Romans. So a study and application of what is revealed in Romans is essential for every Christian (and non-Christian).
When a person has become aware that the Bible exists and does really contain messages from God it certainly essential, isn't it? What is essential to a person does depend on where he is in his walk. Babies must learn to read with understanding. There are some very old babies because for what ever reason when they were physically younger they simply did know anything at all... that really mattered.

I agree that Romans is important, but I long ago stopped answering the question some people put on forums such as this as what is/are their favorite verse or verses of scripture. It is not that I don't favor this or that one over others, but should I? What is God's will in this regard? Perhaps just following that Spirit of Truth @VictoryinJesus mentioned in an earlier post here.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

The faith that saves includes the essential belief that Jesus is God the Son.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

What about people who never heard of Jesus? How did Abraham's faith please God when Jesus had not been born yet?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

A speculative belief before God reveals Himself to us? It is only the Holy Spirit who can reveal Jesus to us...non-speculatively that is...so then it is a salvation by-product to know that Jesus is who He is.

John 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about people who never heard of Jesus? How did Abraham's faith please God when Jesus had not been born yet?

The doctrine of the Trinity answers that question: Abraham believed God, Who is Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
denying urself, taking up ur cross, saying no 2 ur will and yes 2 his will, he is the only way, its threw his righteousness alone one is aloud into heaven not by anything we have 2 other!!

Reactions: epostle and amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What does anyone consider truths essential for followers of Jesus?

I think love, forgive, encourage, build up, inspire are all things which should be an important part of our life in Christ.

Reactions: amadeus

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 11:6The faith that saves includes the essential belief that Jesus is God the Son.

Actually, the term "God the Son" is not in the Bible. Let's see what a word search reveals to us...

"God the Father"
12 verses found (let's continue)...

"God the Son"
0 verses found

"God the Holy Ghost"
0 verses found

"God the Holy Spirit"
0 verses found

In light of Deuteronomy 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:" we can examine the Great Commission given...

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:"

The word NAME in Matthew 28:19 is SINGULAR (meaning ONE) and that the words FATHER, SON and HOLY GHOST are TITLES.

Consider the following scriptures...

Jesus is the name of the Father (John 5:43),
John 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

Jesus is the name of the Son (Matthew 1:21)
Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Jesus is the name of the Holy Ghost (John 14:26)
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

In the book of John, after the last supper, Jesus has a private conversation with the apostles...

John 14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
[8] Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
[9] Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

John tells us something similar...
8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
[27] They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.

God bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, the term "God the Son" is not in the Bible. Let's see what a word search reveals to us...

"God the Father"
12 verses found (let's continue)...

"God the Son"
0 verses found

"God the Holy Ghost"
0 verses found

"God the Holy Spirit"
0 verses found

In light of Deuteronomy 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:" we can examine the Great Commission given...

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:"

The word NAME in Matthew 28:19 is SINGULAR (meaning ONE) and that the words FATHER, SON and HOLY GHOST are TITLES.

Consider the following scriptures...

Jesus is the name of the Father (John 5:43),
John 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

Jesus is the name of the Son (Matthew 1:21)
Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Jesus is the name of the Holy Ghost (John 14:26)
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

In the book of John, after the last supper, Jesus has a private conversation with the apostles...

John 14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
[8] Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
[9] Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

John tells us something similar...
8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
[27] They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.

God bless!
So in short would you say it is essential to believe there is only One God?

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So in short would you say it is essential to believe there is only One God?

I was only responding that, the term "God the Son" is not Bible, and I offered the word search as proof.

Although now, it is interesting that you say, "essential to believe there is only One God" ... is it somewhere in your thinking that there is more than One God? You do know that is not Bible either, right?

God bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was only responding that, the term "God the Son" is not Bible, and I offered the word search as proof.

Although now, it is interesting that you say, "essential to believe there is only One God" ... is it somewhere in your thinking that there is more than One God? You do know that is not Bible either, right?

God bless!
I was simply seeking clarification to go along with the OP question. I believe in One God, but am soliciting input from others to help clarify for all of us hopefully what He would consider essential in every aspect of God's plan for us.

Reactions: Helen