• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is all that is required.

And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. - 1 John 3:23

According to John writing to his audience of believer he makes mention of this. To believe in the Son, and to love. Faith and love is all that is required. That entails having love for God first, and love for other people in this life as you live by the Holy Spirit which John the Baptist said would be given by Jesus Christ.

“Everyone was expecting the Messiah to come soon, and they were eager to know whether John might be the Messiah. John answered their questions by saying, “I baptize you with water; but someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not even worthy to be his slave and untie the straps of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
‭‭Luke‬ ‭3:15-16‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“They replied, “We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?” Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.””
‭‭John‬ ‭6:28-29‬ ‭NLT‬‬

It is always going to be about having faith in the Gospel of Christ, death, burial and resurrection. Having love for God and love for other.

The simplicity of Jesus Christ and being in him, is simple. We suffer with Christ as we go along trusting and having faith. The Christian life is not perfect, or the easiest thing to do.

There is also the option to grow in becoming deeply rooted in the knowledge of God and Christ if you desire it, and to put in the effort.

That choice is yours.

“In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness (devotion to God), and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.

The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins. So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Do these things, and you will never fall away. Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭1:5-11‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“You already know these things, dear friends. So be on guard; then you will not be carried away by the errors of these wicked people and lose your own secure footing. Rather, you must grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. All glory to him, both now and forever! Amen.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:17-18‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Faith and works love; for love is paramount.

Love defined biblically : 1 Corinthians 13

in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. - 1 John 3:23

According to John writing to his audience of believer he makes mention of this. To believe in the Son, and to love. Faith and love is all that is required. That entails having love for God first, and love for other people in this life as you live by the Holy Spirit which John the Baptist said would be given by Jesus Christ.

“Everyone was expecting the Messiah to come soon, and they were eager to know whether John might be the Messiah. John answered their questions by saying, “I baptize you with water; but someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not even worthy to be his slave and untie the straps of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

“They replied, “We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?” Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.””

It is always going to be about having faith in the Gospel of Christ, death, burial and resurrection. Having love for God and love for other.

The simplicity of Jesus Christ and being in him, is simple. We suffer with Christ as we go along trusting and having faith. The Christian life is not perfect, or the easiest thing to do.

There is also the option to grow in becoming deeply rooted in the knowledge of God and Christ if you desire it, and to put in the effort.

That choice is yours.

“In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness (devotion to God), and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.

The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins. So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Do these things, and you will never fall away. Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”

“You already know these things, dear friends. So be on guard; then you will not be carried away by the errors of these wicked people and lose your own secure footing. Rather, you must grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. All glory to him, both now and forever! Amen.”

in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

This scripture came to mind for me Matt with your question:
(James 1:27) . . .The form of worship that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation, and to keep oneself without spot from the world.

Of course He wants from us much more. Many think we have nothing to offer to God, but we do have something to offer, each of us can offer our time, talents, and treasures. Everything we can give God to show our love will be found in one of those three categories.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you Robert,

God desires for us to love Him, first right?

That is what Jesus had stated, so that is the first hill a person must climb and decide for themselves if they are willingly to put God first, and have love for Him.

You know there is type of thinking out there that 'you must love yourself - before you can love others', while it is a worldly wisdom. The truth is one must love God first, and then the flow of having love for others will come as you allow God to work on your heart and mind willingly by going to Him in worship and prayer : godliness (Devotion to God).

Yes, that would make sense that verse you shared, James is such a great book to learn that we are not to looking down upon others, whether they are rich or whether they are poor that all mankind should be treated with equal respect, in the conjunction of 'LOVE', defined biblically in 1 Corinthians 13. That is undefiled religion as you had shared from the book of James, which is noted as having care for other individuals despite the nature of their current situation.

Thank you for your comment,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This scripture came to mind for me Matt with your question:
(James 1:27) . . .The form of worship that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation, and to keep oneself without spot from the world.

Of course He wants from us much more. Many think we have nothing to offer to God, but we do have something to offer, each of us can offer our time, talents, and treasures. Everything we can give God to show our love will be found in one of those three categories.
The verse that came to mind for me is Micah 6:8:

He has told you, O man, what is good;
And what does the LORD require of you
But to do justice,
to love kindness,
And to walk humbly with your God?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The verse that came to mind for me is Micah 6:8:

He has told you, O man, what is good;
And what does the LORD require of you
But to do justice,
to love kindness,
And to walk humbly with your God?

Very good Lambo, in fact sir that was the very verse I was looking for but couldn't find it, thanks for bringing it up.

Reactions: Lambano

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That choice is yours.

in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
I would suggest we obey the two great commandments: Love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls, and love our neighbors as ourselves. (Matthew 22:34-40)

Reactions: Lambano

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would suggest we obey the two great commandments: Love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls, and love our neighbors as ourselves. (Matthew 22:34-40)

Yes Bob! I agree with you there my friend.

Reactions: Bob Estey