What does God want me to do?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LivingWordLabels

Dec 3, 2011
I've written the following tract on finding God's will and I intend putting it on my website in due course. However, I am getting a mixed response from the people who look at it. I would appreciate any comments as I am still able to change it. Many thanks.

What does God want me to do?

Finding God’s will for our lives is something very important indeed. Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven (Matthew 7:21). We should therefore make it a priority to seek God. I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me (Proverbs 8:17).

How then do we find God’s will? We cannot see Him or speak face-to-face with Him, so how can we find out what He wants us to do?

Learning to do good

Our first approach should be to learn about God and His ways, and to do those things we know please Him.[1] He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God (Micah 6:8). We should also avoid doing anything evil.[2] But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do (1 Peter 1:15). Making the right decision can be costly so we need to be fully determined to do the right thing and sufficiently sure of our convictions, otherwise we may default to the wrong choice.

We can learn what is right by reading the Bible. Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path (Psalm 119:105). If we go to church, we will benefit from the teachings and experiences of others, especially if they have a good relationship with God themselves.[3]

Hearing God’s voice

In addition to learning about God, we need to discern His voice or recognise His leading. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me (John 10:27). God communicates with us individually and in many different ways. He can, for instance, use an inner knowing,[4] a gentle whisper,[5] the Bible,[6] other people and circumstances,[7] signs,[8] dreams and visions[9] and prophecy.[10]

In order to find God’s will in a particular matter, we need to ask Him and then trust Him for the answer.[11] Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight (Proverbs 3:5–6). We may need to spend time in prayer and fasting.[12]

Exercising our initiative

As our relationship with God grows, we will learn when to wait on God[13] and when we should exercise our initiative. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him... (Psalm 37:4). God gave us a will of our own and it is important we use it as we will be judged according to what we do or don’t do.[14]

Generally, we will not know God’s will clearly, because if we did, we would not develop our trust in Him. At times therefore we will get things wrong. Satan sometimes impersonates God[15] and other people will mislead us through things they say.[16] Also, we need to put away our selfish desires.[17]

We need to continually trust God so He can correct us, if necessary. Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting (Psalm 139:23–24).

Bible references

[1] Matthew 22:36–40; James 4:17. [2] Ephesians 5:3–20. [3] Ephesians 4:11–13; Hebrews 10:24–25. [4] 1 John 2:20; Luke 24:32. [5] 1Kings 19:11–13. [6] 2Timothy 3:16. [7] Genesis 24:12ff. [8] Judges 6:36–40 but see Luke 11:29. [9] Matthew 2:22; Acts 16:9–10. [10] Acts 21:10–11. [11] James 1:5–7. [12] Ezra 8:21–23. [13] Psalm 27:14; 130:5. [14] Matthew 25:14–30. [15] 2 Corinthians 11:14–15. [16] 1 Kings 13:15–18. [17] Romans 12:1–2. Bible quotations are taken from the New International Version. Further leaflets can be found on ...

Reactions: Redeemed86

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I hope you do not mind me casting a critical, analytical eye over your tract with an honest and open appraisal.
The subject line is a good one, however, I think you have thrown your ideas together randomly, without defining any clear process or direction which causes your tract to seem a little disjointed and vague.

You have hit upon some key aspects of finding Gods will for your life which I would (personally) lean towards and enhance using biblical examples, personal experiences and scriptural backup

eg: Here are some of the ways God communicates with us and we with him...[in general]
1 The Word of God - inspired [Rhema]
2 Prayer - when you pray and when others pray for you...a confirmation of what God has already told you through personal prayer...
3 Other believers - Pastor, Christian leaders and friends
4 Inner conviction - a knowing
5 small voice - prompting from the Holy Spirit
6 Peace in our heart
7 Prophecy - from a prophet, either a well known in your Church or visiting a Prophet [love them because they don't know you and you can gauge when they are off track]
8 Signs - Divine signs from God
9 Dreams and visions

When looking for direction...
What is he saying to you personally? does it confirm in your heart and with all the other key indicators that you have listed above? Do you have the gifts required for that particular plan, purpose? eg: If you believe that God is directing you to be a great Worship leader and you can't sing...I would not pursue that direction unless he opens an opportunity for lessons in a divine way [then you will know that it was from God rather than your own desires].

Most people actually do know what God's will is for their lives but it is hidden in their hearts and it takes a bit of discernment to recognize the signs. Your personality has a lot to do with it along with what you are extremely, naturally good at or sometimes he sends you into an area where you have been through trials and endured hardship but have come out the other end, a conqueror.

I hope this helps...Blessings!!! ^_^

LivingWordLabels

Dec 3, 2011
Thanks very much for your critique - it is indeed helpful. I should have mentioned that I am very limited for space. The tract should fit on one side of letter paper and I cannot add any more words without deleting some elsewhere. It is really an introduction and as such can only really be an overview. The reason why I have kept it tight is because I believe people typically want information quickly and don't have the desire to read long articles.

I think the key points you mentioned are contained in the tract in one form or another. I didn't use the terms Rhema or Logos as I feel they would need a lot of explaining and could be confusing to people without that grounding. I prefer 'inner knowing' (1 John 2:20,27) or 'hearts burning' (Luke 24:32) instead of rhema as I feel that is what people mean when they use it.