What does the bible say about examining yourself?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
2Co 13:6 But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Paul is writing to the Corinthians, about how they should each examine themselves, individually, if they are in the faith.

To prove to themselves they are.

He goes on to say Know you not your own selves? As an admonishment; and encouragement to shine a light on their own hearts inwardly to believe and understand how Jesus Christ is in them. Least they be reprobates - meaning from what I would suggest form the Webster Dictionary of looking up the word Reprobate a person who is depraved or unprincipled person.

Paul is suggesting here for even us now today in this age, to Examine your own heart, and check whether you are in faith or not.

In how they should know that Jesus Christ lives with-in them, by the spirit of Christ. Paul goes on to say, I trust that you shall know that we are not reprobates.

Meaning that they are not depraved from the living God; they are of faith in the Gospel of Christ which is the power of God unto Salvation, and that they are principled in the notions of having learned from Jesus Christ in which Paul shared and taught, along with also expounding even further the difference between the flesh and spirit, in his writings.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
2Co 13:6 But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Paul is writing to the Corinthians, about how they should each examine themselves, individually, if they are in the faith.

To prove to themselves they are.

He goes on to say Know you not your own selves? As an admonishment; and encouragement to shine a light on their own hearts inwardly to believe and understand how Jesus Christ is in them. Least they be reprobates - meaning from what I would suggest form the Webster Dictionary of looking up the word Reprobate a person who is depraved or unprincipled person.

Paul is suggesting here for even us now today in this age, to Examine your own heart, and check whether you are in faith or not.

In how they should know that Jesus Christ lives with-in them, by the spirit of Christ. Paul goes on to say, I trust that you shall know that we are not reprobates.

Meaning that they are not depraved from the living God; they are of faith in the Gospel of Christ which is the power of God unto Salvation, and that they are principled in the notions of having learned from Jesus Christ in which Paul shared and taught, along with also expounding even further the difference between the flesh and spirit, in his writings.

Great post Matt, extremely important for us to consider, as we realize that only those in the faith will be saved. Likely like myself, you would use the Bible as that mirror to determine if you are well rooted in the faith correct? What are some passages that you review to prove it to yourself sir?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great post Matt, extremely important for us to consider, as we realize that only those in the faith will be saved. Likely like myself, you would use the Bible as that mirror to determine if you are well rooted in the faith correct? What are some passages that you review to prove it to yourself sir?

Hello Robert,

The Gospel is the power of God unto Salvation, and through out Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, there are so many pictures and types even the Old Testament and the letters of the new that hold a mirror to who we are as individuals.

Firstly creations of God, secondly our natural intent of the heart being that of self, thirdly the realization of the need for the Lord Jesus Christ to help us to have connection again in what was lost when Adam and Eve had sinned by disobeying God.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Robert,

The Gospel is the power of God unto Salvation, and through out Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, there are so many pictures and types even the Old Testament and the letters of the new that hold a mirror to who we are as individuals.

Firstly creations of God, secondly our natural intent of the heart being that of self, thirdly the realization of the need for the Lord Jesus Christ to help us to have connection again in what was lost when Adam and Eve had sinned by disobeying God.

Yes sir, it is definitely the key, Jesus death opened the way to salvation, but that is not all, in fact few are saved, but it is obedience to the Gospel as you stated that saves us individually, based on that ransom sacrifice. 2 Thes 1:8, 9 shows the outcome of those who choose not to obey it. Good reply sir.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“and to you who are troubled — rest with us in the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven, with messengers of his power, in flaming fire, giving vengeance to those not knowing God, and to those not obeying the good news of our Lord Jesus Christ; who shall suffer justice — destruction age-during — from the face of the Lord, and from the glory of his strength, when He may come to be glorified in his saints, and to be wondered at in all those believing — because our testimony was believed among you — in that day;”
‭‭2 Thessalonians‬ ‭1:7-10‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

You may differ, with me sir,

I believe this has to deal with the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 Ad. Though I could be wrong, also with you Robert to me my finger would point directly to the Revelation 22.

That people end up outside of the Kingdom of God, who not of faith and love, giving their resurrected spiritual bodies by God.

There will be those who are of faith and love, inside of the Kingdom of God given also their resurrected spiritual bodies by God along with their rewards of whatever they stored up spiritually here on earth by the building of the spirit (Faith and love).

In revelation 21 it talks about people having a part in the lake of fire, and I believe this has to deal with the nation of Israel and everything of that sort, since it says people have only a part, they won’t be there forever.

Also God is a consuming fire, so that fire would come from God? That would burn away the darkness of those who had a part in that lake of fire?

Here is the scripture of laying of treasures in heaven.

“but treasure up to yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth disfigure, and where thieves do not break through nor steal, for where your treasure is, there will be also your heart.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:20-21‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know the Bible talks about how one should examine themselves if they are in the faith or if they are not being faithful?