What does the bible say happens when you die

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jennifer Rogers

Mar 10, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ZklEShq.png
The question of what happens after death can be confusing. The Bible does not explicitly state a person's fate as they approach their eternal end. The Bible tells us about the moment after death people are taken to heaven or to hell on the basis of their faith in Jesus Christ as their Savior. As for the children of God, after death they are no longer present in the body but are with the Lord: “Therefore we are always full of confidence, and know that while we are in this body we are far from God because We walk by faith, not by sight. Therefore, I say, we, full of confidence, would rather leave this body and be with the Lord" - 2 Corinthians 5:6-8

For unbelievers after death means eternal punishment in hell – Luke 16:22-23.

This is a place where it can be confusing to know what will happen after death. Revelation 20:11-15 describes all those in hell being thrown into the lake of fire: “Then I saw a great white throne with Him sitting on it. Heaven and earth have all fled before Him, and there is no place for them to be found. I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book, the book of life, was also opened. The dead are judged according to their works, according to what is written in those books. The sea handed over the dead it contained; Death and Hades also hand over the dead they keep. Each person will be judged according to the work he has done. Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. Anyone whose name is not written in the book of life is thrown into the lake of fire.”

Revelation 21-22 describes a new heaven and a new earth. That place seems to be the place of the last resurrection so that after death people are given temporary shelter in heaven or hell. Man's eternal destiny will not change but the exact place of man's eternal destiny will change. At a special time after death, God's children will be taken to a new heaven and a new earth. “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth have passed away, and the sea is no more” – Revelation 21:1. At a particular time after death, the unbeliever will be cast into the lake of fire – Revelation 20:11-15. This is the final, eternal destiny of all people based on the totality of what people believe in Jesus Christ's only salvation for their sins.

If you want to believe in Jesus as your Savior, and receive salvation from God, this is a prayer you can say to God things like these: “Lord, I know that I have the sin of rebellion. It would help if you had been punished, but Jesus took the punishment for me so that in faith in Jesus I am forgiven. I renounce my sins and put my trust in Your salvation. Thank God for His extraordinary grace and forgiveness. Amen! (Saying these or other prayers will not save you. Only by believing in Jesus will you be forgiven. This prayer is a simple way to express your faith to others.) God and thank Him for the forgiveness of sins.)

If you sincerely say the above prayer to Jesus. Then you are called by God Himself as His child “But whoever received Him, even believing in His name, He gave the right to become children of God – John 1:12. God will also do many amazing things in your life since you invited Him to be the Master of your life.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That place seems to be the place of the last resurrection so that after death people are given temporary shelter in heaven or hell.
What makes you call either Heaven or Hell "temporary shelter"? As a matter of fact entry into either Heaven or Hell is permanent and eternal. It is either eternal life or eternal damnation.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ZklEShq.png
The question of what happens after death can be confusing. The Bible does not explicitly state a person's fate as they approach their eternal end. The Bible tells us about the moment after death people are taken to heaven or to hell on the basis of their faith in Jesus Christ as their Savior. As for the children of God, after death they are no longer present in the body but are with the Lord: “Therefore we are always full of confidence, and know that while we are in this body we are far from God because We walk by faith, not by sight. Therefore, I say, we, full of confidence, would rather leave this body and be with the Lord" - 2 Corinthians 5:6-8

This is a place where it can be confusing to know what will happen after death. Revelation 20:11-15 describes all those in hell being thrown into the lake of fire: “Then I saw a great white throne with Him sitting on it. Heaven and earth have all fled before Him, and there is no place for them to be found. I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book, the book of life, was also opened. The dead are judged according to their works, according to what is written in those books. The sea handed over the dead it contained; Death and Hades also hand over the dead they keep. Each person will be judged according to the work he has done. Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. Anyone whose name is not written in the book of life is thrown into the lake of fire.”

Revelation 21-22 describes a new heaven and a new earth. That place seems to be the place of the last resurrection so that after death people are given temporary shelter in heaven or hell. Man's eternal destiny will not change but the exact place of man's eternal destiny will change. At a special time after death, God's children will be taken to a new heaven and a new earth. “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth have passed away, and the sea is no more” – Revelation 21:1. At a particular time after death, the unbeliever will be cast into the lake of fire – Revelation 20:11-15. This is the final, eternal destiny of all people based on the totality of what people believe in Jesus Christ's only salvation for their sins.

If you want to believe in Jesus as your Savior, and receive salvation from God, this is a prayer you can say to God things like these: “Lord, I know that I have the sin of rebellion. It would help if you had been punished, but Jesus took the punishment for me so that in faith in Jesus I am forgiven. I renounce my sins and put my trust in Your salvation. Thank God for His extraordinary grace and forgiveness. Amen! (Saying these or other prayers will not save you. Only by believing in Jesus will you be forgiven. This prayer is a simple way to express your faith to others.) God and thank Him for the forgiveness of sins.)

If you sincerely say the above prayer to Jesus. Then you are called by God Himself as His child “But whoever received Him, even believing in His name, He gave the right to become children of God – John 1:12. God will also do many amazing things in your life since you invited Him to be the Master of your life.

All persons who die Jennifer go to hell, everyone. Hell is simply an English word which means the abode of the dead. Interestingly most English translators took the original word sheol and translated it as hell, grave, and pit. Grave is accurate and understandable. Jesus although sinless went there as well. We can see from his departure there that it has nothing to do with sin. He was not left in hell, rather he was resurrected Acts 2:31. Were you aware that one day hell will be emptied, most are not aware the Bible says that at Rev 20:13, what good news that is maam. When all are resurrected out of it, there will be no more need for it as inherited death is gone, and it along with it's counterpart death will be cast into the lake of fire, gone forever. What a glorious day that will be Jenny.

I might mention as well, one needs to pray to God in Jesus' name as he instructed Mat 6:9; Jn 15:16

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ZklEShq.png

The Rich Man and Lazarus can only be a parable and the symbols contained therein require interpretation to get their true meaning...unless you're going to insist that:

>Abraham's chest is literally miles wide to accommodate the residence of all the saints who've died.
>the wicked are immediately punished at death, though Scripture says their punishment is future.
>dead folks know things, do things, plan things, demonstrate wisdom, etc., when Scripture denies all this.
>dead folks have body parts before the resurrection when Scripture says the naked dead rise to a body.
>dead folks can interact with the living, though Scripture says they've zero to do with anything under the sun.

I think you need to reexamine what you've been told about what happens when we die and what is the reward of the wicked. I'd love to dialogue, or if you prefer, check out these two lectures that are RICH with Scripture:

AFTER DEATH, THEN WHAT?

WHEN AND WHERE IS HELL?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All persons who die Jennifer go to hell, everyone. Hell is simply an English word which means the abode of the dead. Interestingly most English translators took the original word sheol and translated it as hell, grave, and pit. Grave is accurate and understandable. Jesus although sinless went there as well. We can see from his departure there that it has nothing to do with sin. He was not left in hell, rather he was resurrected Acts 2:31. Were you aware that one day hell will be emptied, most are not aware the Bible says that at Rev 20:13, what good news that is maam. When all are resurrected out of it, there will be no more need for it as inherited death is gone, and it along with it's counterpart death will be cast into the lake of fire, gone forever. What a glorious day that will be Jenny.

I might mention as well, one needs to pray to God in Jesus' name as he instructed Mat 6:9; Jn 15:16
Man, you certainly are wrong about that. Jesus showed that those who believe on Him go to the side in PARADISE where Abraham is (see Luke 16).

Even with the malefactor that believed on Jesus and was crucified with Him, Jesus told Him that he would be with Him that day in... Paradise.

So Paradise is where we go when we die, NOT hell. The abode of hell called Hades is where the WICKED go at flesh death. Big... difference!

And the word "hell" in the KJV is also used to point to the future "lake of fire" which is NOT the abode of Hades. So one needs to look up those different renderings of the word "hell".

And just another thought, in the Greek Septuagint Old Testament, the Greek word for paradise is used for Eden.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ZklEShq.png

If you keep studying in God's Word, you will eventually learn that 'accountability' is required before anyone's belief or unbelief can be held for or against them.

There are many during this present world that never heard The Gospel of Jesus Christ that will first hear only during the coming "thousand years" reign by Christ Jesus and His elect.

God's Word reveals that in that future "thousand years" period after Christ's future return, many souls will still have a mortal soul that is still subject to the "second death", which is the casting of one's soul-spirit in the future "lake of fire" after the "thousand years".

Our job in that future time, Christ's faithful Church, will be to teach the fallen the difference between the clean and unclean, and between the holy and the profane. The hinted 2nd resurrection that will happen when the Book of Life is opened one final time after the "thousand years", will involve those who heard The Gospel during that time, and believed on Jesus Christ. Thus the 2nd implied resurrection is ANOTHER LIKE THE 1ST RESURRECTION, unto Eternal Life in Christ Jesus.

Then those who still reject Jesus Christ after that "thousand years", it means they themselves will have chosen to perish in the "lake of fire". It is God's desire that all come to repentance like Peter said. But it's like those who will still refuse would rather perish if they cannot be their own god. Their rebellion will still be in them, which is why they will still hate The Father and The Son, and instead will wish to perish.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

What does the bible say happens when you die​

We fall asleep..:)-
"Do not grieve for those asleep, for they sleep in Jesus" (1 Thess 4:13/14)[/I]
Then on judgment day we get a wake-up call-
Jesus said:- "All in the graves shall come out...Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life" (John 5:28/29, Matt 25:46)

Jesus said- “Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep.” (Mark 5:39)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What does the bible say happens when you die​

You are dead!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ZklEShq.png

What happens to a person when they die depends on whether or not they obeyed the gospel, and they know the LORD (2 Thessalonians 1:8). I believe the Bible teaches that the wicked or unfaithful believers will ultimately be destroyed in the Lake of Fire. But the wicked will go to hell first before they are cast into the Lake of Fire, and unfaithful believers will first be cast into outer darkness before they are thrown into the Lake of Fire. Faithful believers will ultimately end up on the New Earth and live in the city of New Jerusalem. In the End: Faithful believers will live with the Lord forever and there will be no more death, sorrow, sickness, etcetera. When faithful believers die today, I believe they go to Abraham’s bosom in the heart of the earth until the Rapture happens. When the Rapture happens, the dead in Christ will rise first, and then the rest of us who are alive will be caught up to meet the Lord Jesus in the air. After the Rapture, faithful believers who die in the Lord will go directly to Heaven. But those believers who died faithful for the Lord in the tribulation will live and reign with Christ 1,000 years.

Anyways, I believe the Bible teaches Dualistic Conditional Immortality.
Here is my write up on that if you are interested.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man, you certainly are wrong about that. Jesus showed that those who believe on Him go to the side in PARADISE where Abraham is (see Luke 16).

Even with the malefactor that believed on Jesus and was crucified with Him, Jesus told Him that he would be with Him that day in... Paradise.

So Paradise is where we go when we die, NOT hell. The abode of hell called Hades is where the WICKED go at flesh death. Big... difference!

And the word "hell" in the KJV is also used to point to the future "lake of fire" which is NOT the abode of Hades. So one needs to look up those different renderings of the word "hell".

And just another thought, in the Greek Septuagint Old Testament, the Greek word for paradise is used for Eden.
Abraham is still in the grave Davy. Only those of the first resurrection have been resurrected at this point in time. it is reasonable to believe that since the first resurrection has occurred, that the born again Christians who die will be instantly resurrected, therefore likely not spending time in hell, but that is really speculation. We simply do not know exactly since this is invisible to human eyes. Similar to what the movies portray, the remainder of those born again Christians will likely all be changed at the same time to meet Jesus in the air upon his return, as indicated in 1 Thes 4

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ZklEShq.png

Jesus instructed by teaching and example that prayer should be to God maam. Mat 6:9; Jn 17.
Everyone who has not sinned against the holy spirit, will be resurrected.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We fall asleep..:)-
"Do not grieve for those asleep, for they sleep in Jesus" (1 Thess 4:13/14)[/I]
Then on judgment day we get a wake-up call-
Jesus said:- "All in the graves shall come out...Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life" (John 5:28/29, Matt 25:46)

Jesus said- “Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep.” (Mark 5:39)
I can quote you MORE... Bible Scriptures that reveal that we do not... literally asleep when we die. So if you want to properly cover that subject, you must also weigh all those many Scriptures that show we have conscious awareness after death...

1 Peter 3:18-20
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
KJV

1 Peter 4:5-6
5 Who shall give account to Him That is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For, for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
KJV

2 Cor 5:1-6
5 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.
5 Now He That hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, Who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.
6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
KJV

Matt 17:1-4
17 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
2 And was transfigured before them: and His face did shine as the sun, and His raiment was white as the light.
3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with Him.
4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here: if Thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for Thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias."
KJV

Elijah was taken up, but Moses did die and God buried his body. Yet there Moses was, talking with Lord Jesus upon that mount, in sight of Peter.

Luke 16:19-26
19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
KJV

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Downey

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Abraham is still in the grave Davy.
Nope, even as Jesus showed in the Luke 16 Chapter about Lazarus and the rich man having died with their spirit taken to Paradise in the heavenly dimension, the rich man to the side of hell (haides), and the poor beggar preacher Lazarus to Abraham's bosom on the other side of Paradise.

What you are going on is the old traditions of the JEW'S religion. They dwell on Genesis 2:7 about the creation of Adam to mean the 'soul' is part of our flesh body! That primitive thinking is pretty sick, because the 'soul' is not part of our flesh, even as Jesus showed in Matthew 10:28. Even Ecclesiastes 12:5-7 makes this distinction between earthly matter and spirit, and that's Old Testament teaching. Likewise with 1 Kings 17:20-23 with Elijah praying that God would allow the soul of the child to return to his dead flesh body.

Even in John 3, Lord Jesus made the distinction between flesh and spirit, as two separate and distinct operations from each other. Ecclesiastes 12 reveals a "silver cord" involved being severed at flesh death. That suggests that "silver cord" is what keeps our soul-spirit connected with our flesh body while alive on earth, and is severed at flesh death, allowing each part to return to their place of origin. Our spirit returns back to God it says, and per New Testament doctrine that means our soul with our spirit returning to the heavenly, and not to some hole in the ground like the ignorant unbelieving Jews believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Downey

Angel Faith

Nov 17, 2022
Left Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ZklEShq.png

Ecclesiastes 12:7 And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..Bible Scriptures that reveal that we do not... literally asleep when we die. So if you want to properly cover that subject, you must also weigh all those many Scriptures that show we have conscious awareness after death...

Scriptures apart, please tell us in your own words exactly what we christians will experience when we die, and also tell us what somebody like Hitler, Stalin and Saddam will experience when they die..:)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ecclesiastes 12:7 And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.
Oh no, that might be too complicated! .....I need to close my eyes......what about all my insightful, although be it convoluted theology about who goes where and when and how; which has taken me years to work out? ....are you gonna scrap it in a single verse?

Angel Faith

Nov 17, 2022
Left Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh no, that might be too complicated! .....I need to close my eyes......what about all my insightful, although be it convoluted theology about who goes where and when and how; which has taken me years to work out? ....are you gonna scrap it in a single verse?
Read the whole chapter.;) :My2c: