What does the word "name" mean in the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is the lexical meaning of the word "name" in the Bible?

Leviticus 22:

32 Do not profane my holy name, for I must be acknowledged as holy by the Israelites. I am the LORD, who made you holy
John 14:

In the Bible, the word "name" usually does Father may be glorified in the Son.
Acts 4:

12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.
The word "name" could mean

1. the label of a person, i.e., the spelling of a person's name, e.g., "YHWH"
  2. the person's character, Lev 22:32 above
  3. the person's authority, John 14:13
  4. the person's title, e.g., Immanuel
  5. the person's reputation, e.g., Jacob's name means supplanter
  6. even the person himself, Acts 4:13.
In the Bible, most of the time, the word "name" does not refer to the label (meaning #1).

Even today, we accept these usages:

She was beginning to make a name (reputation) for herself as a portrait photographer.

They kill in the name (authority) of religion.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good thread brother,

It takes my mind to such verses as:

Romans 1:18-20
18 "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse."
And:
Romans 2:14
"For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law."

"...the person's title, e.g., Immanuel"

One who never heard the name of "Jesus", could instinctively acknowledge a real God, as well as right from wrong.

But then we have "The Name above all Names" But, as you ask, "what's in a name"...is this name of our savior, Jesus (The Christ-Messiah) to be named in order to be saved? I personally believe it has to be His "name"...in whatever language. JMHO! :)

9 "Therefore God exalted Him to the highest place and gave Him the name above all names, 10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,…"

Reactions: TonyChanYT