What helps you calm down when you're feeling stressed/anxious?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Siddhi Koli

Jun 14, 2022
Navi Mumbai
Faith
Christian
Country
India
  1. Finding the truth.
  2. Vision of the Holy Spirit.
  3. Believing in monotheism.
  4. Jesus Christ died for salvation.
  5. Positive thinking.
  6. Being single in this world.
  7. Liberation from the cycle of birth and death.
This passion helps me calm my mind.:)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What helps to calm my mind…?
To answer my anxious thoughts with scripture helps me.
Trying to think of an example of how I do this…like…if I begin to worry about how physically poor I am - and I say, nope, this isn’t going to happen, God knows what I need and if I seek Him and His kingdom first He will add whatever temporal needs I have to me.

Matthew 6:33​

King James Version​

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Or…If I’m stuck in worry and no scripture comes to mind to help with my anxious thoughts, I say, help me Lord, my feet are slipping and I’m in temptation to worry rather than trust, then He helps me, calms me, gives me the verses.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
resentment-complaint-inappropriate.jpg

"Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself nor others."

This quotation comes from a famous samurai known as Musashi Miyamoto.

While it is not a biblical quotation, the gist of it parallels biblical teachings.

Many of the devil's works in this world are fueled by those who harbor resentment and complaint. You can see it in others who do the devil's work. That they are full of hate, resentment, complaints and lies.

Denying that process in yourself, by not subscribing to resentment or complaint, has a calming effect. It breaks the negative cycle which perpetuates negativity in the world.

These verses parallel the quote:

"because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires."

-James 1:20

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"

-Matthew 6:27

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

• Finding the truth.
    • Vision of the Holy Spirit.
    • Believing in monotheism.
    • Jesus Christ died for salvation.
    • Positive thinking.
    • Being single in this world.
    • Liberation from the cycle of birth and death.
This passion helps me calm my mind.:)

Yes to all.....

I'm interested in your perspective on that last bullet point Siddhi.

Indian culture has a unique understanding of reincarnation. How does that inform your Christian beliefs?

Siddhi Koli

Jun 14, 2022
Navi Mumbai
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Yes to all.....

I'm interested in your perspective on that last bullet point Siddhi.

Indian culture has a unique understanding of reincarnation. How does that inform your Christian beliefs?
i am a born again christian
John 3:1-21
I don't believe in polytheism anymore.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many of the devil's works in this world are fueled by those who harbor resentment and complaint.
This reminded me of a great teaching I listened to a few years ago titled, “And then came Amelek.”
The man pointed out how Amaleks attack came after complaining and that complaining will still bring an attack by the spirit of Amalek today. I wish I remembered it enough to explain it more fully.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what then?
What does this mean?

What I'm asking about is specifically this>>>

Liberation from the cycle of birth and death.

Can you tell me a bit about your understanding of "the cycle of birth and death"?

It's not how typical Westerner Christians speak. I'm not critical of the idea either by the way. I'm genuinely interested in what that means to you, in your way of thinking.

Reactions: Siddhi Koli

Siddhi Koli

Jun 14, 2022
Navi Mumbai
Faith
Christian
Country
India
What I'm asking about is specifically this>>>

Can you tell me a bit about your understanding of "the cycle of birth and death"?

It's not how typical Westerner Christians speak. I'm not critical of the idea either by the way. I'm genuinely interested in what that means to you, in your way of thinking.

I think,In Hinduism, samsara (world) is the endless cycle of birth, death, and rebirth(reincarnation).

moksha, also spelled mokṣa, also called mukti, in Indian philosophy and religion, liberation from the cycle of death and rebirth . Derived from the Sanskrit word muc (“to free”), the term moksha literally means freedom from samsara. source- google

Because I don't want to be reborn in this world. I just want salvation .salvation(moksha)(in the Christian religion) being saved from the power of evil.
So I think, which religion to choose. That is choosing monotheism or polytheism. Or used to think about which deity to believe in.I got tired of this.

:(
Another C.F Member Brad D. said to me that Siddhi are you sure you are not mixing perhaps Hindu influences of reincarnation with Christianity? There is no reincarnation in Christianity. The only new birth we have is our new birth into our new life in Jesus Christ our Lord!! You are not in your present situation because of some sin of a past birth.:)

I don't want to say much about "the cycle of birth and death".:)

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think,In Hinduism, samsara (world) is the endless cycle of birth, death, and rebirth(reincarnation).

moksha, also spelled mokṣa, also called mukti, in Indian philosophy and religion, liberation from the cycle of death and rebirth . Derived from the Sanskrit word muc (“to free”), the term moksha literally means freedom from samsara. source- google

Because I don't want to be reborn in this world. I just want salvation .salvation(moksha)(in the Christian religion) being saved from the power of evil.
So I think, which religion to choose. That is choosing monotheism or polytheism. Or used to think about which deity to believe in.I got tired of this.

:(
Another C.F Member Brad D. said to me that Siddhi are you sure you are not mixing perhaps Hindu influences of reincarnation with Christianity? There is no reincarnation in Christianity. The only new birth we have is our new birth into our new life in Jesus Christ our Lord!! You are not in your present situation because of some sin of a past birth.:)

I don't want to say much about "the cycle of birth and death".:)

Thank you for your kind response. I can understand some reluctance to share your personal beliefs when you get feedback like that above from Brad D. I wouldn't worry too much about the opinions of others. Let the Holy Spirit be your guide, as from that first moment you saw the dove in the mirror.

The idea that we suffer as a consequence of some past sin, or some past life is not unique to Hinduism. There's a wonderful story in the gospel of John about this very concept-- The very disciples of Jesus (those we call The Twelve) had the same idea in mind, so don't let Brad D, or anyone try to convince you that you are breaking some kind of "thinking" rule that he made up.

Now as Jesus was passing by, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who committed the sin that caused him to be born blind, this man or his parents?”

It's interesting to consider the FACT that Jesus didn't even attempt to correct his disciples in the manner that Brad was scolding you. He didn't tell them that they had the wrong 'principle' in mind, just that they were drawing the wrong conclusions. A person's suffering can be simply a result of the will of God. This was true in the story of Job, where God allowed him to suffer and as Jesus explains in John 9, it was also the case of this man who had been born blind.

Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but he was born blind so that the acts of God may be revealed through what happens to him. We must perform the deeds of the one who sent me as long as it is daytime. Night is coming when no one can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. ”Having said this, he spat on the ground and made some mud with the saliva. He smeared the mud on the blind man’s eyes and said to him, “Go wash in the pool of Siloam”. So the blind man went away and washed, and came back seeing.

But he doesn't say-- "Listen boys.... are you sure you are not mixing ancient Jewish ideas about 'karma' and assuming things you don't know about this man and/or his parents?"

You will find that not all followers of Christ think like Brad, and you will never find anywhere in scripture where Jesus says 'there is no reincarnation in Christianity' in fact he says the opposite. He says 'You MUST be born again." Folks choose to make up their own minds about what that means, and what he meant. But they cannot dispute what he said.

Of his friend (and cousin) John- the baptizer, he said "If you can accept it, he is Elijah" (the one all Jews said must appear before the coming of the Messiah (the Christ). There are many, many.... perhaps most Christians, who simply can't accept it.

Let His inner voice be your guide and quiet those outside who might discourage you as you journey through this life. I remember you in my prayers as you suffer so intensely and pray that you find joy amidst the suffering knowing that perhaps it is simply in the mind of God to allow your circumstance as a means of glorifying Him through your testimony. I think that is already happening.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will find that not all followers of Christ think like Brad, and you will never find anywhere in scripture where Jesus says 'there is no reincarnation in Christianity' in fact he says the opposite. He says 'You MUST be born again." Folks choose to make up their own minds about what that means, and what he meant. But they cannot dispute what he said.

Of his friend (and cousin) John- the baptizer, he said "If you can accept it, he is Elijah" (the one all Jews said must appear before the coming of the Messiah (the Christ). There are many, many.... perhaps most Christians, who simply can't accept it.
Born again of the Holy Spirit by receiving the down payment of the Spirit isn’t the same concept as being born again physically in another body that you must live and die in again.
And just as each person is destined to die once and after that comes judgment…(Hebrews 9:27)

And John the Baptist was not Elijah physically born in another different body. He meant more like…in the spirit of Elijah. Sort of like one would say…in the spirit of Christmas, and since I already have enough, I am going to gift someone who needs help with money in the amount of the Christmas bonus my boss gave me, of $500. If someone said that, they would be saying…just as God gave a gift to all men in Jesus, I am celebrating the idea of that, as we celebrate the great gift of Jesus being given to us all by giving a gift to someone in temporal need.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born again of the Holy Spirit by receiving the down payment of the Spirit isn’t the same concept as being born again physically in another body that you must live and die in again.
And just as each person is destined to die once and after that comes judgment…(Hebrews 9:27)

And John the Baptist was not Elijah physically born in another different body. He meant more like…in the spirit of Elijah. Sort of like one would say…in the spirit of Christmas, and since I already have enough, I am going to gift someone who needs help with money in the amount of the Christmas bonus my boss gave me, of $500. If someone said that, they would be saying…just as God gave a gift to all men in Jesus, I am celebrating the idea of that, as we celebrate the great gift of Jesus being given to us all by giving a gift to someone in temporal need.

So you say.

You fall in the ‘Can’t Accept It’ category.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What helps you calm down when you're feeling stressed/anxious?

I don't think most christians get stressed/anxious do they? I know I don't..:)
The only people who get really stressed are nonchristians and atheists because they have no spiritual depth and are therefore like ricketty wagons without springs, jolted by every pebble on life's road..:)

wagon-wreck.jpg

Jesus said- “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" (Matt 6:25-34)