What I hate

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is mostly to address again how it is said to be bad to “Spiritualize” scriptures. I hear it all the time even to the point where you can’t post anything..any connections you feel help or at least verses that have helped you… without it being condemned as “out of context” or as “over-spiritualizing”. I’m sure this will be condemned also as being taken out of context: Romans 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Romans refers to “but what I hate, that I do.”
I get this passage speaks about sin. I’m not disputing that. I’m asking about what we say is sin to us …that is sin. Those who feel very strongly of a thing as sinful or to be condemned…to me they are calling it a sin and condemned to “over-spiritualize”. Maybe I’m wrong but when those post come to a thread it is clear they hate “over-spiritualizing.” From their perspective “taken out of context” …is a sin? Which Romans 7:15 talks about “sin”.

Another verse that connects I think is… hoping I won’t be condemned in that which I allow.

I seriously do not understand how those who hate over-spiritualizing can then spiritualize whenever they choose. I truly don’t get the inequality of what is allowed for me is condemned in you.

How it is ok for them …for instance “you must eat my flesh and drink my blood” to then be “Spiritual”. They say there are clues leading up to when it is okay to “spiritualize” or to take a thing as Spiritual. Like with parables…but I don’t see any clues there when Jesus spoke of drinking his blood and eating his flesh. I’ve been in churches that condemn spiritualizing the Word …hating and despising it …but at the same time I’ve heard their “types” and “shadows” in taking things out of context even to the point of coming up with what the names mean as a type or shadow. What if those “types” And “shadows” are just as wrong as connecting verses said to be taken out of context. It could all be wrong…but that isn’t the point. The point is …why is one a sin and there is no forgiveness for errors…and one is not a sin confident theirs is no errors?

For me Romans helps in pointing out that we do what we hate. To me this helps with all condemnation. How often the thing we hate and despise, that thing we also do. To me we will allow it when we do it, and then turn around and condemn ourselves by hating in others; what we allow for ourselves but hate in them… “but what I hate, that I do.”

Last edited:

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Victory,
I say this, do not let.... know- it- alls beat you down.

I Spirit....(will help)... u ......(re)alize... all God's truth, regardless the KIA's self righteousness!

Follow God's Spirit and let him lead you as a daughter of God.
We can not go wrong with him @ the helm!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t let him shake you. You have been seeing some things more clearly than in the past. I’ve read your posts for a long time now and have known you would be able to really help us soon and I’ve been really looking forward to it and now have seen it. You are quite obviously getting some good things from the Spirit, things we can see you obviously couldn’t put together on your own and things that have really blessed me by your sharing of them.

Dont be disheartened when a man doesn’t approve of you. Are you seeking the approval of men or of God?
There won’t be all that many in here who can receive what you are given to share yet. Just keep sharing. Some will see it and be blessed.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t let him shake you. You have been seeing some things more clearly than in the past. I’ve read your posts for a long time now and have known you would be able to really help us soon and I’ve been really looking forward to it and now have seen it. You are quite obviously getting some good things from the Spirit, things we can see you obviously couldn’t put together on your own and things that have really blessed me by your sharing of them.

Dont be disheartened when a man doesn’t approve of you. Are you seeking the approval of men or of God?
There won’t be all that many in here who can receive what you are given to share yet. Just keep sharing. Some will see it and be blessed.
Thank you @stunnedbygrace. ❤️This meant a lot to me. I struggle with that question every day “are you seeking the approval of men or of God”? You are a blessing to me in what you said. It is encouraging and comforting to me. I was thinking about this the other day …about “voice”. Because I think a lot about what men say and question often: if it is only my own voice I hear in His Word. I’ve thought the same things … “there is no way you put that together on your own.” So to have you say this was a blessing to me. No one has ever said that but instead the opposite which just supports and amplifies my doubt. I don’t want it to be my voice I hear but His. I’m going to a counselor because “my voice” is scrambled, sick and confused; always negative. When I said I’ve thought a lot about “voice” and how others sometimes come at me that I’m just hearing my own…I think there is no way because my voice destroys me, my voice wears me out, my voice condemns and leaves me second-guessing and assuming the worse; repeating in my mind. Like a looping trap. But His Voice is different than mine. His Voice is nothing like my own voice destroying and wearing me out; but His is renewing, loving, accepting, full of Hope and Joy. You asked if I seek the approval of men? No but too often it is too easy to believe what they say because …what they say agrees with the destroying and wearing out voice I’ve heard for so long.

It is rare to have a sister like you who comes along and agrees with His voice of better things in comfort, encouragement and approval. It isn’t often anyone agrees with the better Voice, His.
It being more common to support and agree with what has me sitting in the counseling office wearing myself out in agreement with a sick voice, instead of in agreement with His.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you also freely sharing with me what you have received was a blessing to me also.
It’s so precious to build up and be built up by each other’s trust and each others gifts.
For sure. Building up. Edification. Strengthening. ❤️

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you also freely sharing with me what you have received was a blessing to me also.
It’s so precious to build up and be built up by each other’s trust and each others gifts.
equipping too!
Makes me think of the Helmet with the mind under attack.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is mostly to address again how it is said to be bad to “Spiritualize” scriptures. I hear it all the time even to the point where you can’t post anything..any connections you feel help or at least verses that have helped you… without it being condemned as “out of context” or as “over-spiritualizing”. I’m sure this will be condemned also as being taken out of context: Romans 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Romans refers to “but what I hate, that I do.”
I get this passage speaks about sin. I’m not disputing that. I’m asking about what we say is sin to us …that is sin. Those who feel very strongly of a thing as sinful or to be condemned…to me they are calling it a sin and condemned to “over-spiritualize”. Maybe I’m wrong but when those post come to a thread it is clear they hate “over-spiritualizing.” From their perspective “taken out of context” …is a sin? Which Romans 7:15 talks about “sin”.

Another verse that connects I think is… hoping I won’t be condemned in that which I allow.

I seriously do not understand how those who hate over-spiritualizing can then spiritualize whenever they choose. I truly don’t get the inequality of what is allowed for me is condemned in you.

How it is ok for them …for instance “you must eat my flesh and drink my blood” to then be “Spiritual”. They say there are clues leading up to when it is okay to “spiritualize” or to take a thing as Spiritual. Like with parables…but I don’t see any clues there when Jesus spoke of drinking his blood and eating his flesh. I’ve been in churches that condemn spiritualizing the Word …hating and despising it …but at the same time I’ve heard their “types” and “shadows” in taking things out of context even to the point of coming up with what the names mean as a type or shadow. What if those “types” And “shadows” are just as wrong as connecting verses said to be taken out of context. It could all be wrong…but that isn’t the point. The point is …why is one a sin and there is no forgiveness for errors…and one is not a sin confident theirs is no errors?

For me Romans helps in pointing out that we do what we hate. To me this helps with all condemnation. How often the thing we hate and despise, that thing we also do. To me we will allow it when we do it, and then turn around and condemn ourselves by hating in others; what we allow for ourselves but hate in them… “but what I hate, that I do.”
While I basically agree with you, you need to move beyond Romans 7.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While I basically agree with you, you need to move beyond Romans 7.
For me, it was impossible to get past Romans 7 until He did…something, that calmed my flesh and put it in subjection. I can’t say how He did it but I did find a verse that I think describes it : my soul is like a weaned child within me.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I very much agree with you!

Whether it's "spiritualizing", or prioritizing one passage over another, or using variants, or secondary definitions, or all sorts of things, I think everyone has to make choices about how they are going to interpret a passage.

I think we do well to be very aware of when we are basing on doctrine on passages that we have to choose how to understand it, so we can be examining our reasons for making that particular choice. I want to fully avoid the "black box" approach to the Bible, where I'm not conscious of this process, and therefore may be a victim of misinterpretation.

Your example of eating Jesus' flesh is interesting. Jesus gave every indication He really meant it when He said it. Only later to His disciples He clarified it was spiritual.

I always think of Hosea, "out of Egypt I called my son", that is, Israel, the only way I think someone would ever know that was about Jesus is that Matthew told us. "He shall be a son to me", that was spoken of Solomon, but applied to Jesus.

These tell me that only by revelation are some things known. But the question is, do we require additional revelation now?

To me, the answer is, yes, we do need the Scriptures revealed to us, but having been revealed, we will see what is written, without addition needed, only that we couldn't see what was in front of us, and now we do.

For me, it comes down to this, that if I can point to a place where the Bible indicates that something is meant in another sense, then I have Biblical authority to understand it in that way.

But yeah, this is really common I think!

Much love!

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth doesn’t really set you free until the mind and heart solidly agree with it and vigorously guard it.

I was thinking the other day about people who have been in prison for most of their life. I can’t relate to what that is like except in this: I could be wrong (I’ve only heard this happens) but once they have spent so long in prison when they are released and free, they struggle with that freedom sometimes doing anything to end up back in prison. More familiar with prison than freedom.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello

Freedom is a state of the mind and is spiritually related. Being put in prison is a removal of our liberty to walk about freely within the community. For some that is very frightening.

Many people confuse Liberty and freedom because they do not understand that we have in society no rights, only privileges that are granted through the enactment of the "Law and regulation" as prescribed by the respective legislative assemblies within our respective communities, both local and global within our countries/nations.

Our liberties can be changed at the whim of the respective legislative assemblies, whereas our freedom cannot be changed but we can be co-hearse into giving it up. Freedom is a spiritual consequence of being in a right relationship with God, our wives, our children and our communities. It becomes very difficult when the "concept" of absolute Freedom is not shared by the people we live within.

Shalom

-Phil

Nov 22, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
It’s about mistakenly accrediting good-feeling as if coming from doing, others or experience.
It’s also about believing there is an individual who’s behind all which feels discordant (suffering).
Also referred to as ‘beating up on yourself’.

Consider a pianist plays a song and then after the song is finished and the crowd applauds, the pianist says ‘thank you’. Then in hindsight, in believing that thought, it seems like there was a separate individual who ‘did’ the playing… and it seems like the good-feeling is coming from the applause.

But that ‘individual’ wasn’t there when the song was being played, and the good-feeling that seems to come from the crowd is actually the very same good-feeling that actually arises without any cause, and is mistakenly accredited to all experience.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me, it was impossible to get past Romans 7 until He did…something, that calmed my flesh and put it in subjection. I can’t say how He did it but I did find a verse that I think describes it : my soul is like a weaned child within me.

That’s a beautiful way of putting it.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When israelites were delivered from slavery in egypt, they cooked unleavened bread, which is not given time to rise with yeast. In remembrance of this, jews today observe their Passover feast.

Jesus says eat flesh and drink blood, in remembrance of Me.

Similar to Passover feast 2.0

That could be part of the symbolism.

Those who say its wrong to "spiritualize" scripture, are the same who push "adamic flesh nature, original sin" and a million questionable attempts to "spiritualize" the gospel. I wonder if even they hate what they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim B

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Those who feel very strongly of a thing as sinful or to be condemned…to me they are calling it a sin and condemned to “over-spiritualize”. Maybe I’m wrong but when those post come to a thread it is clear they hate “over-spiritualizing.”
There's no need to go overboard with this thought. Mistakes in interpretation are not sins, and they are nothing to hate. But we all need to know when to take something as literal, something as metaphorical, and something as out-of-context.

1. When Christ instituted the Lord's Supper He was very much alive and His body was definitely not "broken" in any way, shape or form. Yet He presented that unleavened bread as His broken body. So plainly it was symbolic. The same with the cup, which certainly did not contain His blood but grape juice.

2. When the Church is called "the building of God" that is obviously a metaphor. We are not bricks and mortar but flesh and blood.

3. When the Bible repeats "one thousand years" six times in seven verses (Rev 20), then that cannot be dismissed as metaphorical. That is a literal 1,000 years (a Millennium).

4. When Jesus said "My Father is greater than I" that is not to be taken out of context in order to claim that Jesus is some kind of "lesser god". Jesus was and is FULLY GOD, yet He was under the authority of the Father while He was on earth. And the Bible says that "the Head" (authority over) Christ is God the Father (1 Cor 11:3).

I trust this helps to know how to interpret Scripture, which is not as confusing as some suggest.

Reactions: Johann

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. When Christ instituted the Lord's Supper He was very much alive and His body was definitely not "broken" in any way, shape or form. Yet He presented that unleavened bread as His broken body. So plainly it was symbolic. The same with the cup, which certainly did not contain His blood but grape juice.

2. When the Church is called "the building of God" that is obviously a metaphor. We are not bricks and mortar but flesh and blood.
What is the difference in “symbolic” and “a metaphor”?