What Is A Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
It seems to me that we're loosing sight of what a Christian is.

Can anyone that believes in God call themselves a Christian?
Does one have to believe in Jesus?
Are there any specific doctrine one MUST believe in?
Are we supposed to behave in any particular way?
Are we supposed to do anything particular?

What makes a Christian be a Christian?

Reactions: Xgarcia

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A Christian is one who recognizes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Saviour and he comes to Him as his Lord and Saviour. He is then born-again by the Spirit of God.

Stranger

Reactions: GodsGrace

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
and he is also a guy who has gotten christened "Christian" and never goes to church, a CINO, or there is also Political Christianity, so the def becomes meaningless coming out of anyone's mouth imo. Their interp is somewhat or majorly diff than yours
Many will cry LordLord

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
A Christian is one who recognizes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Saviour and he comes to Him as his Lord and Saviour. He is then born-again by the Spirit of God.

Stranger
Agreed.
How about the resurrection?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
and he is also a guy who has gotten christened "Christian" and never goes to church, a CINO, or there is also Political Christianity, so the def becomes meaningless coming out of anyone's mouth imo. Their interp is somewhat or majorly diff than yours
Many will cry LordLord
Should we make up a new word that has real meaning?
Sometimes I hear people say that they're a BELIEVER.
Maybe "believer" should become the new word for Christian?
But then we might ask...believer of what?....??

Reactions: bbyrd009

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, the term is in regard not just to God, but to Christ (Christ-ian).

But there are two possible definitions:
  1. A "disciple" of Christ, meaning one who has come under His authority. These are those who may or may not continue to follow Him. They are not saved, but seeking.
  2. Those who believe in Christ, whom Christ then chooses for salvation and marriage, and sends the Holy Spirit that they should be born again of the spirit of God (the consummation).

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed.
How about the resurrection?

Do you mean if I need to believe in the resurrection to be saved? When one comes to Christ he has probably heard of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. And that is all part of the package.

But, let's say one didn't hear about the resurrection. He only heard of Christ's sacrifice and that He is the Son of God, Who died for our sins, and faith in Him will bring about the new birth. Yes, I believe he is born-again. But then once the resurrection is shown him in the Scripture then he will not reject it. The same with the Trinity.

Stranger

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Indeed, the term is in regard not just to God, but to Christ (Christ-ian).

But there are two possible definitions:
  1. A "disciple" of Christ, meaning one who has come under His authority. These are those who may or may not continue to follow Him. They are not saved, but seeking.
  2. Those who believe in Christ, whom Christ then chooses for salvation and marriage, and sends the Holy Spirit that they should be born again of the spirit of God (the consummation).
Hi Scott,

I'm glad you put disciple in quotation marks because a disciple of Jesus is already saved. We DO have a problem with terms in Christianity!

Jesus said to Peter: Come, follow Me and I will make you fishers of men.
Mathew 4:19

Jesus told the Apostles to make disciples of men by teaching them what Jesus
taught. Mathew 28:19

So we "fish" for men. We are disciples and we wish to make disciples.

There is a specific definition of what a disciple is:

1. He has a deep love for Christ.
2. He has an unshakable faith and confidence in the Word of God.
3. He is committed to Christ in obedience and service.
4. He reads the bible.
5. He likes to pray and communiate with God.
6. He loves his fellow man.
7. He likes to witness

(from Dynamics of Discipling, Arts Publications [modifications by me] )

We pray that they stay saved!!

Your no. 2 is very true and simply and well said.
Christ-Christian...

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Do you mean if I need to believe in the resurrection to be saved? When one comes to Christ he has probably heard of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. And that is all part of the package.

But, let's say one didn't hear about the resurrection. He only heard of Christ's sacrifice and that He is the Son of God, Who died for our sins, and faith in Him will bring about the new birth. Yes, I believe he is born-again. But then once the resurrection is shown him in the Scripture then he will not reject it. The same with the Trinity.

Stranger
I meant that the resurrection does need to be believed to be called a Christian.

I do, however, agree with everything you've said.
I hate putting God into a box.
In fact, I like Romans 1:19-20

God was ALWAYS known to some, and they were Always saved by their loving knowledge of God.

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
no mention of baptism I see - we will be told next that one does not need to be baptised to be a Christian - twinc
LOL
Here it comes:

First you BECOME a Christian
and THEN you're baptized.

Is that OK with you?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Scott,

I'm glad you put disciple in quotation marks because a disciple of Jesus is already saved. We DO have a problem with terms in Christianity!

Jesus said to Peter: Come, follow Me and I will make you fishers of men.
Mathew 4:19

Jesus told the Apostles to make disciples of men by teaching them what Jesus
taught. Mathew 28:19

So we "fish" for men. We are disciples and we wish to make disciples.

There is a specific definition of what a disciple is:

1. He has a deep love for Christ.
2. He has an unshakable faith and confidence in the Word of God.
3. He is committed to Christ in obedience and service.
4. He reads the bible.
5. He likes to pray and communiate with God.
6. He loves his fellow man.
7. He likes to witness

(from Dynamics of Discipling, Arts Publications [modifications by me] )

We pray that they stay saved!!

Your no. 2 is very true and simply and well said.
Christ-Christian...
This is what I was referring to:

Many Disciples Turn Away
60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?”

61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”

68 But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve, and one of you is a devil?” 71 He spoke of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, for it was he who would betray Him, being one of the twelve.

John 6

...Those who are saved...do not walk away and "walk with Him no more."

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
This is what I was referring to:

Many Disciples Turn Away
60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?”

61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”

68 But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve, and one of you is a devil?” 71 He spoke of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, for it was he who would betray Him, being one of the twelve.

John 6

...Those who are saved...do not walk away and "walk with Him no more."
Gotcha.

BTW
John 6:68 is one of my favorite verses.

Reactions: ScottA

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
LOL
Here it comes:

First you BECOME a Christian
and THEN you're baptized.

Is that OK with you?

not at all, for who says so and by what authority - then maybe but not now - just as now one does not get saved by selling all that one has - twinc

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. Yes. They may not understand what they are labeling themselves as a Christian, however.
2. The doctrine of the Trinity, the doctrine of the incarnation, the sum of the law, and the Resurrection of Christ are classic examples of orthodox doctrines.
3. Love perfectly
4. Worship God; serve neighbor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Stranger said: A Christian is one who recognizes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Saviour and he comes to Him as his Lord and Saviour. He is then born-again by the Spirit of God.

Many will cry LordLord

Both are right if we are able to understand their meanings. The OP really asked for a definition of a Christian and each answered apparently according to his own definition. For two believers to communicate, they must either have the same definitions or they each must understand the other guy's definition as well his own.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both are right if we are able to understand their meanings. The OP really asked for a definition of a Christian and each answered apparently according to his own definition. For two believers to communicate, they must either have the same definitions or they each must understand the other guy's definition as well his own.

They also must confront their own prejudice against the doctrines

Reactions: Nancy and bbyrd009