What is a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LoveBeacon

Dec 23, 2018
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many denominations who all believe in the same person... Jesus. This shouldn't be so!

Let us try and come together to find a united approach on what a Christian means, so we can try and put together the body of Christ. The first century Christians are a good example of what followers of Jesus looked like.

Acts 2:44-47,"

And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Where is this singleness of heart that the first Christians experienced? Let's strive to bring that back to what we call Christianity today.

What do you believe is a Christian? Please give a thoughtful and prayerful answer. Leave the debates out of this. Let's work towards unity trying to set aside our differences and come to Christ with a broken and contrite heart.

In peace

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There are many denominations who all believe in the same person... Jesus. This shouldn't be so
Why?
There are historical as well as doctrinal differences between many denominations, yet few actually quarrel about what makes a Christian.
For many just because they are xxx and are different from yyy and zzz is reason to remain as xxx.
For others it is the decline in what is taught compared to what historicaly was believed.

Then there are churches that teach false doctrines. This will vary depending on ones own views.
For me churches that preach the prosperity doctrines are not Christian, those who attend may be.
The catholic and orthodox to me are not Christian, while thos who worship there may be.
In England the methodist church has so watered down what it preaches that one does not learn about the crucifixtion, the resurrection or why Jesus died, he is an example of love.

You want demnominations to come together as one unified church.
Do you think the prosperity churches will stop preaching their lies, that the methodist will start preaching what the wesley's used to preach, that the RC will give up Mary, staints, purgortory, confession etc etc or should it be the other way round and we start preaching prosperity, forgetting about Jesus and adopt staints etc etc.

Rather than say 'oh wouldn't it be nice if' why not say how you think it could happen?

D

Dave L

“And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.” (Acts 11:26) (KJV 1900)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Basically, all that I am hearing is that "Everyone should agree, and that agreement should be as I see things...…. Not as THEY see things."

Which of us has the authority to say, "What I believe, is "right' for all of the rest of you." ?

D

Dave L

Basically, all that I am hearing is that "Everyone should agree, and that agreement should be as I see things...…. Not as THEY see things."

Which of us has the authority to say, "What I believe, is "right' for all of the rest of you." ?
Experience helps. Seeing others making the same mistakes I made goes along way. Paul says make full proof of your ministry. So we need years of trial and error before commenting. And we need to be sure we are right before saying anything.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Experience helps. Seeing others making the same mistakes I made goes along way. Paul says make full proof of your ministry. So we need years of trial and error before commenting. And we need to be sure we are right before saying anything.
Nancy Pelosi is 78. Does what you just said apply to her thinking?

D

Dave L

Nancy Pelosi is 78. Does what you just said apply to her thinking?
Only if she's born again. Why would Paul stress experience, making full proof of your ministry, before ministering if it wasn't good practice?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is about faith, hope and love...at varying depths and authenticity.

What stands against the true faith and it's earthly representation is arrayed the world with the devil behind it. But the worst enemy of all is our own selfish way of preserving that which God condemns. We, so often, are like king Saul that spares Agag...the best of ourselves and what men can do....for fear that we will be losing something that is not replaceable by God.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Experience helps. Seeing others making the same mistakes I made goes along way. Paul says make full proof of your ministry. So we need years of trial and error before commenting.
We need to hear His voice in order to know what is right. Trial and error may work sometimes for some things for men to accomplish men's purposes, but is that the way to walk with God? Is there not a better Way?

And we need to be sure we are right before saying anything.
If we are not hearing God's voice, how can we ever be sure that we are right?

D

Dave L

We need to hear His voice in order to know what is right. Trial and error may work sometimes for some things for men to accomplish men's purposes, but is that the way to walk with God? Is there not a better Way?

If we are not hearing God's voice, how can we ever be sure that we are right?
In my case experience in what works and what doesn't is a great teacher. And the witness of the Spirit brings a peace when moving in the right direction.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my case experience in what works and what doesn't is a great teacher. And the witness of the Spirit brings a peace when moving in the right direction.
We certainly need to learn from our experiences, the good ones as well as the bad ones, but that alone will not bring us closer to God. As you say, the witness of the Spirit, but from that point, sometimes we then move in different directions. What is it that we hear?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We certainly need to learn from our experiences, the good ones as well as the bad ones, but that alone will not bring us closer to God. As you say, the witness of the Spirit, but from that point, sometimes we then move in different directions. What is it that we hear?
Galatians 5:22-23 KJV
[22] But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, [23] Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
All founded in love
Tecarta Bible PremiumThe witness

LoveBeacon

Dec 23, 2018
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to the Bible a Christian is one who has Christ within -- Christ in you the hope of glory. That also means the indwelling Holy Spirit received as a gift of God.
Your response is very vague in the sense that someone would need to have the background to the terminology that you are using to understand what you are saying.

Can you try giving a simple, clear answer? Thanks.

In peace