What is baptism for the dead mentioned in 1 Corinthians 15:29?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
Can anyone explain this below verse. I am able to get any convincing answer for this..!

"Otherwise, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them?" (1 Cor. 15:29, NASB).

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012
Try reading it this way...

1Co 15:29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the (the hope of the) dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

You can have no control over what happens to someone else...

Eze 18:5 But if a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right,
Eze 18:6 And hath not eaten upon the mountains, neither hath lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, neither hath defiled his neighbour's wife, neither hath come near to a menstruous woman,
Eze 18:7 And hath not oppressed any, but hath restored to the debtor his pledge, hath spoiled none by violence, hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment;
Eze 18:8 He that hath not given forth upon usury, neither hath taken any increase, that hath withdrawn his hand from iniquity, hath executed true judgment between man and man,
Eze 18:9 Hath walked in my statutes, and hath kept my judgments, to deal truly; he is just, he shall surely live, saith the Lord GOD.
Eze 18:10 If he beget a son that is a robber, a shedder of blood, and that doeth the like to any one of these things,
Eze 18:11 And that doeth not any of those duties, but even hath eaten upon the mountains, and defiled his neighbour's wife,
Eze 18:12 Hath oppressed the poor and needy, hath spoiled by violence, hath not restored the pledge, and hath lifted up his eyes to the idols, hath committed abomination,
Eze 18:13 Hath given forth upon usury, and hath taken increase: shall he then live? he shall not live: he hath done all these abominations; he shall surely die; his blood shall be upon him.

Eze 18:14 Now, lo, if he beget a son, that seeth all his father's sins which he hath done, and considereth, and doeth not such like,
Eze 18:15 That hath not eaten upon the mountains, neither hath lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, hath not defiled his neighbour's wife,
Eze 18:16 Neither hath oppressed any, hath not withholden the pledge, neither hath spoiled by violence, but hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment,
Eze 18:17 That hath taken off his hand from the poor, that hath not received usury nor increase, hath executed my judgments, hath walked in my statutes; he shall not die for the iniquity of his father, he shall surely live.
Eze 18:18 As for his father, because he cruelly oppressed, spoiled his brother by violence, and did that which is not good among his people, lo, even he shall die in his iniquity.
Eze 18:19 Yet say ye, Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son hath done that which is lawful and right, and hath kept all my statutes, and hath done them, he shall surely live.
Eze 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

1Co 15:29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

This verse is found in the resurrection chapter and is referring to the resurrection of the dead. One is not baptized for other dead folks, one is baptized looking forward to the fact that they will die and then the resurrection. Being baptized for others who are dead is an incorrect Mormon teaching. this is why the Mormons are so concerned with genealogy and keeping such extensive records. They believe that they can be baptized for a relative who died "unsaved" and "save" them.

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
yeah.. I also know that, there is no use of we baptizing for dead..! but Paul here seems to be suggesting that?? His words are like “as they were believing the resurrection, so, they are baptizing for their deads”

Here I am having belief on resurrection, I can also do that?

I am asking this question for to know the convincing answer..! why paul spoke like that. There is not perfect verse which is opposing this act "baptism for dead"

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He wasn't condoning it or saying that it works. He was using their own practices as an argument against them that resurrection is a truth. He's pretty much saying, "It's pretty ridiculous that you baptize for the dead if you believe there is no resurrection."

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Amen forrestcupp...I agree in part, with of your understanding of this passage and would also like to add...

12 Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. 15 Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise. 16 For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. 17 And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! 18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.
Paul is stating that there were some who did not believe in the resurrection of the dead, [like the Sadducees Matthew 22:23] If that were true then we are still in our sins because Christ did not rise. The very act of the death and resurrection of our Lord and savior is the key to our salvation [Romans 10:9-10]

20 But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming. 24 Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. 25 For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. 26 The last enemy that will be destroyed is death. 27 For “He has put all things under His feet.” But when He says “all things are put under Him,” it is evident that He who put all things under Him is excepted. 28 Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.
Christ being the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep [in death]

Effects of Denying the Resurrection
29 Otherwise, what will they do who are baptized for the dead, if the dead do not rise at all? Why then are they baptized for the dead? 30 And why do we stand in jeopardy every hour? 31 I affirm, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. 32 If, in the manner of men, I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantage is it to me? If the dead do not rise, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die!”
My understanding is that Paul was saying here..."If Christ is dead [as the Sadducees believe] there seems to be no point in being baptized in Christ if he is dead and has not risen. He is also saying that there is no point in them [his disciples] being in danger every hour for the sake of the Gospel of salvation and eternal life, if Christ and those who have fallen asleep in him, do not rise. There is only one baptism Ephesians 4:5 and that baptism is in Christ. If Christ is dead then why are people being baptized for he who is supposedly dead?

Shalom!

Reactions: forrestcupp

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
forrestcupp said:
He wasn't condoning it or saying that it works. He was using their own practices as an argument against them that resurrection is a truth. He's pretty much saying, "It's pretty ridiculous that you baptize for the dead if you believe there is no resurrection."
You nailed it

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
hmm...! then we have to go ahead with this assumption only..! no strong reference for that..! (Even i was also searching for that. But compromised with this). Practically there is absolutely no use of baptizing for dead. We are responsible for our lives..!

This question leads me to another (May be bigger topic). Baptism is 100% required to enter into heaven?? when a person is confessed his sins and prayed before his death. What will be the answer for his soul??

He accepted Jesus as his savior by Holy Spirit only. Water baptism is not required to go to heaven at this situation?

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
Even the Church has had differences on this verse. Most clergy believe it is simply an ad hominem, with Paul ridiculing the notion of baptism for the dead. But others believe it is metaphorical, and some conclude that it may even still be speaking of a person being baptized for the sake of a deceased one as legitimate.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hey stefen. I have heard of a denomination that have actually dug up old bones with the consent of family members to baptize their loved ones [water baptism] so that they can go to heaven when the resurrection of the dead occurs? :huh: so I guess there are denominations out there who have misinterpreted what Paul was saying also. I do not believe that water baptism is required personally but other believers may think differently...

Be Blessed!

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
Oh..! Denominations have started giving baptism based on this verse is it?? How funny it is..!

Bible says.. A person can enter into heaven once he is baptized in Holy spirit as well as with Water..! Then, what will happen to the souls who are dying without water baptism?? For eg: thief who died beside the cross of Jesus Christ.

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About baptism, you'll get a different answer about the degree of its necessity from every denomination. Some denominations are regenerationalists, and they believe that it's the act of dunking you in the water that actually saves and regenerates you. I've even known some that went as far as fearing someone would go to hell if a small part of their body accidentally didn't get dunked under the water. Then you have denominations who don't believe it is important at all.

I'm somewhere in the middle. Baptism is definitely important, or Jesus wouldn't have commanded it. But I believe that it is an outward sign of the inward work that God has done in you. It's a great means of "confessing Jesus before man". The Bible compares it to Noah's family being saved through the water on the ark. The Bible also compares it to all of our enemies being washed away, like when the Israelites crossed the Red Sea on dry land. It also teaches that baptism is our burial and resurrection with Christ.

It's very important, but I don't believe that the act of being dunked in water is what regenerates us. Romans 10:9 says that if we confess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord and believe in our hearts that God raised Him from the dead, then we are saved. God is a gracious and merciful God, and He doesn't want to make it hard and set the odds against us to be saved. Your example of the other man on the cross is a great example. Obviously, he didn't have a chance to be baptized, yet Jesus told him that He would see him in paradise.
stefen said:
hmm...! then we have to go ahead with this assumption only..! no strong reference for that..! (Even i was also searching for that. But compromised with this). Practically there is absolutely no use of baptizing for dead. We are responsible for our lives..!
It's not an assumption because the rest of the Bible teaches that we are responsible for our own choices.
Angelina said:
Hey stefen. I have heard of a denomination that have actually dug up old bones with the consent of family members to baptize their loved ones [water baptism] so that they can go to heaven when the resurrection of the dead occurs? :huh: so I guess there are denominations out there who have misinterpreted what Paul was saying also. I do not believe that water baptism is required personally but other believers may think differently...

Be Blessed!
Wow! That's pretty morbid. Most people who misunderstand about baptizing for the dead have someone be baptized in place of their dead loved one.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
stefen said:
Can anyone explain this below verse. I am able to get any convincing answer for this..!

"Otherwise, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them?" (1 Cor. 15:29, NASB).
Hi,

The word baptize is also translated washing. It was the practice of different peoples of washing and preparing the dead for the after life that they believed in. The Egyptians would bury treasures and other things for their dead to use in the after life. I believe Paul is using their own beliefs of some form of life after death to make his argument, If there is no life after death what good are they doing who prepared bodies for the afterlife? I don't believe Paul is indicating that people were baptizing dead bodies or others in their place as a form of Christian baptism.

I hope this helps

daq

HSN#1851
Feb 9, 2013
Olam Haba
stefen said:

This question leads me to another (May be bigger topic). Baptism is 100% required to enter into heaven?? when a person is confessed his sins and prayed before his death. What will be the answer for his soul??

He accepted Jesus as his savior by Holy Spirit only. Water baptism is not required to go to heaven at this situation?
You need not "compromise" what you believe but rather believe and understand the words of the Master when he says that your "house shall be divided" and also like the "Ten Virgins" with their oil-olive and their lamps; five on the right, and five on the left, (just as the ten golden lamps in the Solomon Temple). Yeshua states that in the same one house, (which is the man) there shall be five parted, (which is ten) "three against two, and two against three" (Luke 12:51-52 KJV). Therefore if your right eye offends you then cut off that soul and cast it out from you, if your right hand offends you then cut off that soul and cast it away from you, if your foot offends you then cut off that soul and cast it away from you. This is of course supernal in meaning therefore I added the word SOUL because the soul that sinneth shall die; therefore divide up your soul into parts that may be sacrificed, that is the evil parts, for they desire to take over the innocent MEMBERS of your house like your eyes, (lamps which intake the pure oil of the Word) hands, (works for the good or for the bad) and feet, (walk with or without Messiah). If you will continue to do the will of God and put those "unruly" members of your "household" to death, as the Master commands, (and Paul when he says "MORTIFY your members which are upon the earth" and "MORTIFY the deeds of the body"-flesh) then when the Master returns he will bring "the dead" members of your household with him and restore your entire house like the Most High did with Job. So keep baptizing your "members" in the washing of the Water IN the Word of Messiah; and therefore, yes, we baptize for the dead! And when he comes he will not only bring those whom you have been forced to "put to sleep" but perhaps your name also will be changed from Stefen to Stephanas, (like Stephen) having received a white stone with a new name having been written therein.

Here is the rest of my forty two sense in the matter: Harpazo-Rapture Saulos-Paulos Reply #24 :)