What Is Beauty?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I made a topic about this on another Christian forum before and since I'm currently writing a love story where one character doesn't have the perfect body, I'm sort of wondering that as much as a lot of us on here feel like we're brainwashed by the media, why do we let that same media influence us that the only people who are beautiful are the ones that look like supermodels? I must admit, I am one of those people who appear to be brainwashed since I've never really been comfortable with how I look lol that,.. and I've heard it all the time growing up. I'm too short, too fat, I look horrible with glasses etc. I guess somewhere along the line I heard it so much that I began to believe it. :(

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I made a topic about this on another Christian forum before and since I'm currently writing a love story where one character doesn't have the perfect body, I'm sort of wondering that as much as a lot of us on here feel like we're brainwashed by the media, why do we let that same media influence us that the only people who are beautiful are the ones that look like supermodels? I must admit, I am one of those people who appear to be brainwashed since I've never really been comfortable with how I look lol that,.. and I've heard it all the time growing up. I'm too short, too fat, I look horrible with glasses etc. I guess somewhere along the line I heard it so much that I began to believe it. :(
That's psychology, if you tell someone something long enough eventually they'll believe it.

Reactions: Tone and April_Rose

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well that's not always true though. If somebody told me that there was a herd of pink elephants outside I wouldn't believe it. XD

Maybe it depends on how they told you, if they had the right angle, you just might, like: A paint truck crashed into the zoo, all the elephants got out and their pink now, check it out? Maybe? hehehe.

Reactions: Tone and April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe it depends on how they told you, if they had the right angle, you just might, like: A paint truck crashed into the zoo, all the elephants got out and their pink now, check it out? Maybe? hehehe.

I don't know lol it still seems a bit unbelievable. XD

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know lol it still seems a bit unbelievable. XD

LOL, yeah probably not believable. My point is that Satan is better at lies and making false things believable. And he's also pushing to get us to believe we're someone we're not.

OK, and yes they push beauty on us thru the media, mostly only pretty people are actors and singers, some not, but they're few perhaps, or something like that.

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL, yeah probably not believable. My point is that Satan is better at lies and making false things believable. And he's also pushing to get us to believe we're someone we're not.

OK, and yes they push beauty on us thru the media, mostly only pretty people are actors and singers, some not, but they're few perhaps, or something like that.

I see it like this. Although I do find certain celebrities attractive from how they look then there's Johnny Depp. He might be really attractive on the outside but I don't like his personality at all and in that sense he's actually rather ugly with how he's been known to treat people. :(

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see it like this. Although I do find certain celebrities attractive from how they look then there's Johnny Depp. He might be really attractive on the outside but I don't like his personality at all and in that sense he's actually rather ugly with how he's been known to treat people. :(
Yes but we don't judge him and desire him to repent and that God will save him from his allegedly sick behaviors.

But you can marry a very pleasing person and be miserably the rest of your life, or marry your friend and enjoy the rest of your life, but they still have to be attractive to you or they should just remain a friend I think.

So looks do matter for choosing a partner, but not for choosing a friend.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes but we don't judge him and desire him to repent and that God will save him from his allegedly sick behaviors.

But you can marry a very pleasing person and be miserably the rest of your life, or marry your friend and enjoy the rest of your life, but they still have to be attractive to you or they should just remain a friend I think.

So looks do matter for choosing a partner, but not for choosing a friend.

I think that another good point to make is that even if you're not attracted to somebody in the beginning, once you fall in love with them they become beautiful to you since you love them. :)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that another good point to make is that even if you're not attracted to somebody in the beginning, once you fall in love with them they become beautiful to you since you love them. :)

That is very true, so then being friends at first you may find them attractive later. And getting to know someone first is very important before choosing a partner.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is very true, so then being friends at first you may find them attractive later. And getting to know someone first is very important before choosing a partner.

Some people do do it though as in go on dates right away. I couldn't do it though. Especially not blind dating. I could wind up with somebody like this. :D

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people do do it though as in go on dates right away. I couldn't do it though. Especially not blind dating. I could wind up with somebody like this. :D

Yes blind dates are a potential disaster. But if you're connected by a good friend they can turn out OK.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or,.. like in the case of Laura Winslow you can have Steve Urkel after you the rest of your life. :p Sorry, I just love this show. :D

So you really have a TV thing about Steve Urkel character? Can you explain what that has to do with "What is beauty"?

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you really have a TV thing about Steve Urkel character? Can you explain what that has to do with "What is beauty"?

Nothing. Just that I don't want to wind up on a blind date with somebody like him and I was making jokes. :D At least his heart is in the right place though. :)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing. Just that I don't want to wind up on a blind date with somebody like him and I was making jokes. :D At least his heart is in the right place though. :)

OK I understand.

Back to your OP: When we don't associate with someone because they're not cool, or pretty enough to make a person look good, or they don't act cool enough to make a person appear good (cool), then it becomes a problem that God might judge us over. He watches us and how we interact and treat people.

Luke 9:46-48

46 Then there arose a reasoning among them, which of them should be greatest.
47 And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a child, and set him by him,
48 And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On a serious note,.. some people can actually be really annoying for real though and get on our nerves no matter what they look like, but I heard a really great quote from Family Matters.

"If all you're looking for is the float with Miss America on it, then the whole parade is going to pass you by." - Eddie Winslow

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you overweight A_R?