What is being pointed to in the following scfriptures?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Matthew 16:28: –– Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."

Mark 9:1: –– And He said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you that there are some standing here who will not taste death till they see the kingdom of God present with power."

Luke 9:27: –– But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the kingdom of God."

John 8:52: –– Then the Jews said to Him, "Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and You say, 'If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.'

Hebrews 2:9: –– But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.

What is being said in these scriptures?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is death?
Death is essentially SEPARATION.

Physical death (the First Death) = separation of the soul and spirit from the body.
Second Death = eternal separation of the unsaved from God (in the Lake of Fire).

Upon death souls and spirits depart to two separate regions: (1) the saved go directly to Heaven to be with Christ and (2) the unsaved go directly to Hades to await their final judgment.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 16:28: –– Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."
Mark 9:1: –– And He said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you that there are some standing here who will not taste death till they see the kingdom of God present with power."
Luke 9:27: –– But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the kingdom of God."
All three passages relate to the transfiguration. So Peter, James, and John had the privilege of seeing Christ as He would be in His eternal Kingdom (glorious and glorified) before they tasted death. This was merely a preview.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All three passages relate to the transfiguration. So Peter, James, and John had the privilege of seeing Christ as He would be in His eternal Kingdom (glorious and glorified) before they tasted death. This was merely a preview.

The first three passages above that I quoted was spoken about six to eight days before the journey up the mountain where Christ was transfigured.

Perhaps you may like to reconsider your post.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Death is essentially SEPARATION.

Physical death (the First Death) = separation of the soul and spirit from the body.
Second Death = eternal separation of the unsaved from God (in the Lake of Fire).

Upon death souls and spirits depart to two separate regions: (1) the saved go directly to Heaven to be with Christ and (2) the unsaved go directly to Hades to await their final judgment.
The straight forward viewpoint of man?
Is that then what there is?

Are all of the questions in need of answers answered? Who needs answers? Who provides them?

"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" John 11:25-26

"Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God." Luke 6:60

"If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable." I Cor 15:19

"The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish." Psalm 1:4-6

Reactions: Nancy and Jay Ross

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all. That is what we find in the Bible. So you can take it or leave it.
Lots of Bible readers expressing what to me sound like diametrically opposed conclusions based on their readings of the same verses of the same Bible translations.

The Bible contains Truth, but not every Bible reader knows or understands what it is. Jesus tells that He is the Truth:

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

In the same chapter He also tells us how to learn all things. Not everyone has it all, simply because they own and read a Bible:

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

Reactions: Nancy and Truman

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 8:52: –– Then the Jews said to Him, "Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and You say, 'If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.'

Hebrews 2:9: –– But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.

Great question Jay. The first two is referring to the same account, which Jesus went on in verse 28 (Luke 9) to show the fulfillment of it sir.

The other two are referring to everlasting life. Jesus' death is the means by which men will inherit everlasting life, with no need to taste a permanent death.

It does seem a bit confusing Jay, hope that helps sir.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Great question Jay. The first two is referring to the same account, which Jesus went on in verse 28 (Luke 9) to show the fulfillment of it sir.

The other two are referring to everlasting life. Jesus' death is the means by which men will inherit everlasting life, with no need to taste a permanent death.

It does seem a bit confusing Jay, hope that helps sir.

IMHO your understanding of the first two scriptures is not on the money in that Jesus made this statement six to eight day before His transfiguration up on the mountain and this event was not, as I understand it, a fulfilment of His statement that "some standing here will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom." It is my view that Jesus was speaking of a future time in the distant future some 3,000 plus years into the future after His first advent.

IMHO your understanding of the last two scriptures is on the money and that they too are referencing the second death in what is written in the respective verses.

The insertion of bullet type headings into the scriptures does tend to lead us astray in our understanding of the scriptures.

It does seem a bit confusing Robert, hope this helps sir.

The fulfilment of the first two scriptures did not require a near future type of fulfilment but rather Jesus in His statement referenced a distant future fulfilment. Your understanding did not match the time Jesus was referencing as to when He would be given a kingdom and when He would return in all of His Glory after having received that kingdom.

In our understanding of the scriptures, the grabbing of the wrong time events does lead to a skewed understanding of the scriptures that leads us astray.

Shalom

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Kingdom of Heaven was at hand. When Jesus fulfilled His mission and died for our sins and rose on the third day, He opened up the kingdom of heaven, spiritually making it available. He ascended to the Father and was given all authority in heaven and on earth.
They witnessed Him coming into His KINGDOM, physically _ with their eyes.
Hebrews 2:9 is to be taken literally. Jesus became flesh, a human _ as we are _ made lower than the angels. That is his human nature, not His spiritual nature, which Hebrews 1 discusses.

>>>What is being pointed to in these scriptures?

"God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom He also made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory and express image of His person and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged ours sins, sat down at the right hand of the Magesty on high, having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. For to which of the angels did He ever say: You are my Son, Today I have begotten You"? ... "Let all the angels worship Him." ... But to the Son He says, "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever ..." Hebrews 1:1-6, 8

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For myself, I find @Enoch111 's outline there to be what Scripture presents. That is, of course, reading in my simplistic way.

Much love!
And where then do the verses I quoted fit into the picture? If you don't know that is fine, but consider them carefully! God has a complete plan! If we believe we understand a part, but we are in error or we have left out something we did not understand, how clear and complete is our vision of His plan?

"For now we see through a glass, darkly;... I Cor 13:12

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The straight forward viewpoint of man?
Is that then what there is?

Are all of the questions in need of answers answered? Who needs answers? Who provides them?

"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" John 11:25-26

"Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God." Luke 6:60

"If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable." I Cor 15:19

"The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish." Psalm 1:4-6

Eternal life is to know God, and His Son, Jesus Christ.

Much love!

Reactions: bbyrd009 and post

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eternal life is to know God, and His Son, Jesus Christ.

Much love!
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

So then we continue to seek...in order to find... and it shall be opened unto us...

Moving on from darkly on toward face to face!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I started this last night and got sidetracked.
Just sharing some thoughts in the middle of the night watch.
Hugs

This one stuck out to me.
Jhn 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

The verses that came to mind:

Speaking of Abraham:
Gen 22:18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Who saw his day?
Luk 2:25 And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.
Luk 2:26 And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.
Luk 2:27 And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law,
Luk 2:28 Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said,
Luk 2:29 Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word:
Luk 2:30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,

Simon = "harkening"
one of Abraham's descendants

Gen 22:18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Projection...
Simeon a descendent/seed of Abraham.. saw his day and rejoiced.
Was revealed to him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Kingdom of God/the Lord's Christ.

Could Abraham have been given the gift of life and seen through the eyes of Simeon the birth of the Lord.
Could Abraham have been "translated" from the past and be in the present seeing the Kingdom of God in the flesh be born.

John the Baptist came in the Spirit of Elijah.
Why couldn't Simeon come in the Spirit of Abraham.

Now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, "According to thy word"

Gen 25:7 And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years.
Gen 25:8 Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.

Abraham gave up the ghost. And the Holy Ghost was upon Simeon. And it was revealed to him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death.

Isa 52:10 The LORD hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.

Luk 3:6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

We are all Abraham's seed through faith.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IMHO your understanding of the first two scriptures is not on the money in that Jesus made this statement six to eight day before His transfiguration up on the mountain and this event was not, as I understand it, a fulfilment of His statement that "some standing here will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom." It is my view that Jesus was speaking of a future time in the distant future some 3,000 plus years into the future after His first advent.

IMHO your understanding of the last two scriptures is on the money and that they too are referencing the second death in what is written in the respective verses.

The insertion of bullet type headings into the scriptures does tend to lead us astray in our understanding of the scriptures.

It does seem a bit confusing Robert, hope this helps sir.

The fulfilment of the first two scriptures did not require a near future type of fulfilment but rather Jesus in His statement referenced a distant future fulfilment. Your understanding did not match the time Jesus was referencing as to when He would be given a kingdom and when He would return in all of His Glory after having received that kingdom.

In our understanding of the scriptures, the grabbing of the wrong time events does lead to a skewed understanding of the scriptures that leads us astray.

Shalom

I think we can agree Jay that the Kingdom is not yet established here, and that not one of those persons who would not taste death are not here either. Unless the Bible was wrong, or an interpretation was in error, that event had to have been fulfilled in the first century.

We do believe however, that the Kingdom has been established in the heavens, and Jesus is the now ruling King sitting on God's throne. We believe that we are very near to the Kingdom coming that we all have prayed about. No doubt like myself you agree with the closing words of the Bible: Amen! Come Lord Jesus! It is welcome to come yesterday as far as I am concerned. Hopefully you feel the same way.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the Son of Man coming into His Kingdom?

The last verse of Matthew chapter 16:
Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

When you turn the page onto the next chapter we see Jesus being transfigured. There is Moses and Elias, the two witnesses.
And God gives his approval of his Son.
He has as of this point, inherited his Kingdom.
This is my Son in whom I am well pleased.

Mat 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

Who were those standing here?
Mat 17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,

Mat 17:9 And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.

Why do you suppose they were sworn to secrecy?

1Co 2:8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Crucified the Lord of glory.
The Lord OF Glory.

This is cool:
Exo 24:16 And the glory of the LORD abode upon mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days: and the seventh day he called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud.

It was the 7th day that Jesus took Peter, James, and John to the top of a High mountain where they heard God and saw Moses and Elias.

I have to get my picks and shovel..
It's time to go diggin..
Hugs

Reactions: Nancy and post