What is Grace?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

spockrates

Apr 13, 2012
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

(Ephesians 2)

Since I can be saved by grace, I'm thinking it's essential to know what grace is! Please tell me: What is grace?

:)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The law says, "you are a sinner and therefore must pay teh price",
Grace says, ' teh price is already paid in full"
The flesh says," oh but i sinned again today"
Grace says, " I paid the price in Full, once and for all".
Religion says, " you sinned, you must say 3 hail marys 4 our fathers"
Grace says, " have I not already paid the price, why are you adding to the cost, have you not accepted grace".
The flesh says , " I am a sinner"
Grace says, " that not how My Father sees you through my eyes".
The flesh says, " but my flesh is full of sin".
Grace says," I am not here to save your flesh"

I all His Love

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Testament Greek word for "grace" is charis (khar'-ece); which
means: graciousness. Webster's defines "graciousness" as: kind, courteous,
inclined to good will, generous, charitable, merciful, altruistic,
compassionate, thoughtful, cordial, affable, genial, sociable, cheerful, warm,
sensitive, considerate, and tactful.

Cordial stresses warmth and heartiness

Affable implies easy approachability and readiness to respond pleasantly to
conversation or requests or proposals

Genial stresses cheerfulness and even joviality

Sociable suggests a genuine liking for the companionship of others

Generous is characterized by a noble or forbearing spirit; viz:
magnanimous, kindly, and liberal in giving

Charitable means full of love for, and goodwill toward, others; viz:
benevolent, tolerant, and lenient.

Altruistic means unselfish regard for, or devotion to, the welfare of others;
viz: a desire to be of service to others for no other reason than it just feels
good to do so.

Tactful indicates a keen sense of what to do, or say, in order to maintain
good relations with others in order to resolve and/or avoid unnecessary
conflict.

When you put all those lovely attributes together, you get a pretty good
picture of the bright side of God's personality.

The Old Testament Hebrew word for "grace" is chen (khane) and means the
same as charis; for example: "Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord. (Gen
6:8)

In many Christian minds, it is truly believed that a sinner's salvation rests
upon the grace of God; but in most minds that is nothing in the world but a
mental spin to mask their true belief that it is by the grace of God that they
now have a chance to earn their salvation, where before, they had no
chance to earn it. So when you strip away the spin, you're right back to the
reality that the plans of salvation enjoying the widest acceptance are
essentially merit systems based upon personal performance rather than
upon the kindness and generosity of God's altruistic nature.

Some Xians construe Php 2:12 to insist that salvation is a merit award based
upon performance. However, for those of us who currently possess eternal
life; the New Testament actually reveals that rescue from the wrath of God is
a gratuity; which is a gift with no strings attached and nothing expected in
return.

†. Eph 2:8-10 …God spared us by His grace when we believed. And we can't
take credit for this; it's a gratuity from God. Salvation is not a reward for the
good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.

†. Titus 3:5 …Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but
according to his mercy He spared us

†. John 3:16-18 …For God so loved the world that he donated His one and
only child, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
For God didn't send His child into the world to condemn the world, but
rather, to spare the world through him.

The Bible portrays Jesus' Father as both gracious and vengeful.

The proof of his Father's willingness to be gracious is the donation of His
own beloved son's life in order to resolve the hostility between Himself and
the human race

The proof of his Father's willingness to be vengeful is the upcoming Great
White Throne event and the reservoir of liquefied flame depicted at Rev
20:10-15.

True evil is the lack of gratitude exemplified by the very people for whom
Jesus' Father donated the life of His own son. As far as I'm concerned; hell is
too good for people like that-- they're lower than undomesticated beasts:
just feral human wildlife; toxic churls to the bone.

Buen Camino
/

spockrates

Apr 13, 2012
Thank you much for the reply, Health! But have you answered my question? I asked what grace is, but you gave me several examples of what grace says.

It would be similar to someone asking you, "What is color?" and you replying, "Red, blue, yellow and many more!" In that case, you would have given several colors without actually defining what color is.

The same might be said of your reply to this post: You have given several good examples of what grace conveys without actually telling me what grace is!

So please forgive me for repeating myself, but I'd really like to know: What is grace?

Webers_Home said:
The New Testament Greek word for "grace" is charis (khar'-ece); which
means: graciousness. Webster's defines "graciousness" as: kind, courteous,
inclined to good will, generous, charitable, merciful, altruistic,
compassionate, thoughtful, cordial, affable, genial, sociable, cheerful, warm,
sensitive, considerate, and tactful.

Cordial stresses warmth and heartiness

Affable implies easy approachability and readiness to respond pleasantly to
conversation or requests or proposals

Genial stresses cheerfulness and even joviality

Sociable suggests a genuine liking for the companionship of others

Generous is characterized by a noble or forbearing spirit; viz:
magnanimous, kindly, and liberal in giving

Charitable means full of love for, and goodwill toward, others; viz:
benevolent, tolerant, and lenient.

Altruistic means unselfish regard for, or devotion to, the welfare of others;
viz: a desire to be of service to others for no other reason than it just feels
good to do so.

Tactful indicates a keen sense of what to do, or say, in order to maintain
good relations with others in order to resolve and/or avoid unnecessary
conflict.

When you put all those lovely attributes together, you get a pretty good
picture of the bright side of God's personality.

The Old Testament Hebrew word for "grace" is chen (khane) and means the
same as charis; for example: "Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord. (Gen
6:8)

In many Christian minds, it is truly believed that a sinner's salvation rests
upon the grace of God; but in most minds that is nothing in the world but a
mental spin to mask their true belief that it is by the grace of God that they
now have a chance to earn their salvation, where before, they had no
chance to earn it. So when you strip away the spin, you're right back to the
reality that the plans of salvation enjoying the widest acceptance are
essentially merit systems based upon personal performance rather than
upon the kindness and generosity of God's altruistic nature.

Some Xians construe Php 2:12 to insist that salvation is a merit award based
upon performance. However, for those of us who currently possess eternal
life; the New Testament actually reveals that rescue from the wrath of God is
a gratuity; which is a gift with no strings attached and nothing expected in
return.

†. Eph 2:8-10 …God spared us by His grace when we believed. And we can't
take credit for this; it's a gratuity from God. Salvation is not a reward for the
good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.

†. Titus 3:5 …Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but
according to his mercy He spared us

†. John 3:16-18 …For God so loved the world that he donated His one and
only child, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
For God didn't send His child into the world to condemn the world, but
rather, to spare the world through him.

The Bible portrays Jesus' Father as both gracious and vengeful.

The proof of his Father's willingness to be gracious is the donation of His
own beloved son's life in order to resolve the hostility between Himself and
the human race

The proof of his Father's willingness to be vengeful is the upcoming Great
White Throne event and the reservoir of liquefied flame depicted at Rev
20:10-15.

True evil is the lack of gratitude exemplified by the very people for whom
Jesus' Father donated the life of His own son. As far as I'm concerned; hell is
too good for people like that-- they're lower than undomesticated beasts:
just feral human wildlife; toxic churls to the bone.

Buen Camino
/
Thanks for the reply, Weber. What would you say is it that makes grace gracious? Is it gracious because it is arbitrary? Or are there some conditions one must meet to receive such graciousness?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Grace is the power of God towards us. It is HIS strength in our weak vessels.

spockrates

Apr 13, 2012
Episkopos said:
Grace is the power of God towards us. It is HIS strength in our weak vessels.
Hi, Episkopos.

So grace is not a mere disposition or attitude about someone. It is a power given to someone. Please tell me: In what way would this empowerment save me? What saving thing does it empower me to say, think, do or become?

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
Townsville, QLD. Australia
Grace is God's unmerited favor, a kindness that is humanly undeserved. There is nothing we have done or can ever do to earn this favor. It is a gift and all we have to do is to accept it. Many Christians add their own touches to grace. They say that one has to be this or that, do that or this, they put conditions on an act of God that is, by definition, UNconditional. Many on this forum have not yet learned this simple message that is called ...the Gospel.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
spockrates said:
Hi, Episkopos.

So grace is not a mere disposition or attitude about someone. It is a power given to someone. Please tell me: In what way would this empowerment save me? What saving thing does it empower me to say, think, do or become?

Greetings

Notice what is stated here...

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Notice here..

Heb_4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Grace is God's way of helping us to please Him. We receive grace to strengthen us for His purpose. HIS strength in us is His grace towards us. He gives grace to the humble and weak...

Jas_4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

or again...

2Co_12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength (by grace) is made perfect in weakness.

Here they are exactly co-related by God.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
KCKID said:
Grace is God's unmerited favor, a kindness that is humanly undeserved. There is nothing we have done or can ever do to earn this favor. It is a gift and all we have to do is to accept it. Many Christians add their own touches to grace. They say that one has to be this or that, do that or this, they put conditions on an act of God that is, by definition, UNconditional. Many on this forum have not yet learned this simple message that is called ...the Gospel.
GOD extends grace to all men under the condition that they repent. One cannot embrace sin and GOD's grace at the same time. Impossible.

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
Townsville, QLD. Australia
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
GOD extends grace to all men under the condition that they repent. One cannot embrace sin and GOD's grace at the same time. Impossible.
There is none righteous ...no, not one. We will 'embrace' sin of some description or another until the day we die. "We" includes you. It's nonsense as well as incorrect to ever imply that, since we accepted Jesus and daily repent of our sins, that we are therefore now sinless. NO ONE is sinless.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Yes, lets all just over the need for a savor and accept sin as a fact of life and be happy about it.

KCKID said:
There is none righteous ...no, not one. We will 'embrace' sin of some description or another until the day we die. "We" includes you. It's nonsense as well as incorrect to ever imply that, since we accepted Jesus and daily repent of our sins, that we are therefore now sinless. NO ONE is sinless.
Lets all do as thou will. Thelema

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" Aleister Crowley

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
KCKID said:
We will 'embrace' sin of some description or another until the day we die. "We" includes you. It's nonsense as well as incorrect to ever imply that, since we accepted Jesus and daily repent of our sins, that we are therefore now sinless. NO ONE is sinless.
You're attempting to blur the distinction between having a sinful nature (which we all have) and embracing the practice of sin (which only those without GOD do). Those who repent eschew sin, denounce it, and seek help from GOD to not practice it. Those who don't repent justify practicing their sin by saying its really OK because all are inherently sinful.

spockrates

Apr 13, 2012
KCKID said:
Thanks for the help Kid. There is something I don't understand, yet: If one must meet the condition of accepting this favor, then how can it be truly called unconditional?

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
spockrates said:
Thanks for the help Kid. There is something I don't understand, yet: If one must meet the condition of accepting this favor, then how can it be truly called unconditional?
It call the change that takes place with-in. Some call it born again ect. But it amounts to the new in=dwelling of the Holy Spirit it causes us to resist sin we are a new being. Most people that IMO, rationalize this effect have never really experienced it.

So the salvation part, the in dwelling of the HS is free, the result is being transformed and "your own desire" works in conjunction with submitting to the HS. Eph 2:8-10

spockrates

Apr 13, 2012
Episkopos said:
Greetings

Notice what is stated here...

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Notice here..

Heb_4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Grace is God's way of helping us to please Him. We receive grace to strengthen us for His purpose. HIS strength in us is His grace towards us. He gives grace to the humble and weak...

Jas_4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

or again...

2Co_12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength (by grace) is made perfect in weakness.

Here they are exactly co-related by God.
Yes, I think I see. It would seem, then that one's understanding of what grace is might determine one's conclusion as to how grace saves. For example, if I were to believe grace to be God's attitude toward me, I'd likely come to a different opinion about how to be saved than you, who believes grace to be God's power given to me.

So how do I know for certain whether the grace that saves me is an attitude or a power? Would you say the verses you cited are all I need, or is there a more convincing proof?

spockrates

Apr 13, 2012
Rex said:
It call the change that takes place with-in. Some call it born again ect. But it amounts to the new in=dwelling of the Holy Spirit it causes us to resist sin we are a new being. Most people that IMO, rationalize this effect have never really experienced it.

So the salvation part, the in dwelling of the HS is free, the result is being transformed and "your own desire" works in conjunction with submitting to the HS. Eph 2:8-10
I appreciate the answer, Rex but am not sure I understand fully. By free, do you mean unconditional and undeserved? Or do you mean undeserved but conditional? I guess I'm asking this: Does one have to meet any conditions to receive this saving grace?

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
spockrates said:
I appreciate the answer, Rex but am not sure I understand fully. By free, do you mean unconditional and undeserved? Or do you mean undeserved but conditional? I guess I'm asking this: Does one have to meet any conditions to receive this saving grace?
The best I can do to disscribe it is, God is a reader of mens minds and hearts. When you seek to know and understand Jesus in your mind and heart, when He determines the state of your understanding and desire He freely "gifts" you with the Holy Spirit. John 6:44

This nonsense that many churches teach today about the sinners prayer and now your a new creature is BS, God is watching and He determines when, where and how He takes up residency with-in you.

The sinner prayer is a public confession, Matthew 10:32-33 an open confession you are looking and desiring to become a member of the masters house.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
spockrates said:
Yes, I think I see. It would seem, then that one's understanding of what grace is might determine one's conclusion as to how grace saves. For example, if I were to believe grace to be God's attitude toward me, I'd likely come to a different opinion about how to be saved than you, who believes grace to be God's power given to me.

So how do I know for certain whether the grace that saves me is an attitude or a power? Would you say the verses you cited are all I need, or is there a more convincing proof?
Grace is not the power. The spirit is the power, which is bestowed by grace. So it is the spirit of grace.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Spockrates you just continue to seek to be the broom boy in the Lords house.
Yours and mine job is to first seek to be humble, a boy carefully seeking to know or being adopted, sweeping the temple of your mind and heart.
Were nothing but broom boys in the house of the LORD

Just keep your broom in hand and listen, learning what the voice of God sounds like and what he is saying.
1 Samuel 3:1-19