What Is Living Faith?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Friday 1-6-23 6th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tevet 13, 5783 17th. Winter Day

What Is Living Faith?​

by Mike Bennett

Living faith is the kind of faith God wants us to have. What is living faith? How do we receive faith, and how do we demonstrate and grow in living faith? How do we avoid having a dead faith?​

What Is Living Faith?

In the midst of trials many people wonder if they have enough faith or feel their faith is failing. Our world seems designed to undermine faith and to promote doubt. Can your faith withstand this onslaught?
It can if it is a living faith. The Bible describes both a dead faith and a living faith. The living faith can grow and be active in good times and bad times.
Do you have enough faith? Do you have the right type of faith? How can you know what faith is, and how do you show it and increase it?

What faith is​

The book of Hebrews gives us vital background about faith.

“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” (Hebrews 11:1). Biblical faith is based on the sure, unchanging promises of the faithful God. He always fulfills His promises. He is completely trustworthy.
Faith means recognizing God’s faithfulness and believing Him. “But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is [that the Creator God exists], and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him” (verse 6).

We grow in faith by studying the Bible and seeing what God has done in the past and what He promises for the future. It also requires that we “diligently seek Him” and strive to be like Him.
But can we just work up faith or will ourselves to have faith? Where does faith first come from according to the Bible? How does it save us?

Saving faith is a living faith​

The apostle Paul wrote about the awesome gifts God has given to those who follow in Jesus’ steps:
“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of

God, who loved me, and gave himself for me” (Galatians 2:20, King James Version).
Though some translations render it “faith in the Son of God,” understanding it as “the faith of the Son of God” helps us recognize the source of saving faith.

Even the seed of faith is God’s gift. Paul wrote, “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God” (Ephesians 2:8).
The next verse, though, has caused some confusion: “not of works, lest anyone should boast” (verse 9).

Certainly no amount of works can earn us forgiveness or any of the gifts of God. They come from His grace and mercy. But does that mean good works are not an important part of the Christian life?
Not at all. Consider verse 10: “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.”

God works through Christians, producing a life full of good works. Jesus stressed the importance of remaining connected to Him and thus bearing good fruit and obeying His commandments:

“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. …
“If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love” (John 15:5, 10).
James also emphasized this point, clarifying the close, symbiotic relationship between a living faith and works.

Dead faith vs. living faith​

The book of James includes an extended section comparing what James calls a dead faith with living faith. He wanted to clear up any misunderstanding of the subject.
“What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?

“If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,’ but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?
“Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
“But someone will say, ‘You have faith, and I have works.’ Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
“You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!

A living faith is an active faith. We show our belief in God and His way of life by striving to live like our loving God and follow the laws and wise principles He gives us in the Bible.“But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
“Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
“Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?
“And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, ‘Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.’ And he was called the friend of God.

“You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
“Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
“For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also” (James 2:14-26).
A living faith is an active faith. We show our belief in God and His way of life by striving to live like our loving God and follow the laws and wise principles He gives us in the Bible.

How do you show faith?​

As we saw in James 2, we should show faith by caring for the needy (verses 15-16). James also addressed the importance of caring for orphans and widows in the previous chapter:
“Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world” (James 1:27).
James also gave the examples of Abraham, who demonstrated his faith by obeying God (2:21), and Rahab,

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl