What Is Marriage?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is my sequel thread to "What Is Beauty?" located right here.

What Is Beauty?

Now the reason that this topic is in the debate column is because I already know that it's going to bring up a lot of controversy. Now, let me first start off by saying that when I say that I believe in sex before marriage I'm talking about the actual ceremony and wedding certificate. That means I believe that marriage comes from within and I believe that what God is really saying about we must not fornicate, is that we must not have one night stands and I do believe that is for our own good.

It could cause unwanted pregnancies and that would cause even further problems later on. So I take that to mean that we must be committed to a person that we know we're eventually going to marry anyways. Another question I want to bring up is an arranged marriage an actual marriage before God? I mean neither one of them is really in love or committed to the other one, so how can He expect them to have sexual desires for one another and not fall in love with anybody else? I guess that's more than one question but I'm just really curious about this.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is my sequel thread to "What Is Beauty?" located right here.

What Is Beauty?

Now the reason that this topic is in the debate column is because I already know that it's going to bring up a lot of controversy. Now, let me first start off by saying that when I say that I believe in sex before marriage I'm talking about the actual ceremony and wedding certificate. That means I believe that marriage comes from within and I believe that what God is really saying about we must not fornicate, is that we must not have one night stands and I do believe that is for our own good.

It could cause unwanted pregnancies and that would cause even further problems later on. So I take that to mean that we must be committed to a person that we know we're eventually going to marry anyways. Another question I want to bring up is an arranged marriage an actual marriage before God? I mean neither one of them is really in love or committed to the other one, so how can He expect them to have sexual desires for one another and not fall in love with anybody else? I guess that's more than one question but I'm just really curious about this.

No fireworks gonna go off here.

c663fc6421a05e40ed9594be5001ca7aaf5ec685.gif

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That depends,.. if you answer me do I get to keep my head? o_O

That would be the question, yes. LoL.

Ok, look. I used to subscribe to the same theory when I was younger, and if it were only in the eyes of God and a lifelong commitment were made by both people, the argument might be able to hold water... if they were on a deserted island somewhere, LoL.

The problem is this, and again, I am speaking as one who used to believe in it:

It needs to be a contract you make before men, i.e. before society. It is just as much for the sake of declaring a contract before God as before the rest of society, because it notifies everyone else that:

A. He is taken, and
B. She is taken.
C. Both are off the market, so don't bother shopping.

If the couple don't do this, there may still be tensions in the relationship, and that will certainly get amplified if some guy she looks interested in starts coming on to her, or if some woman starts flirting with him. For all they can see, the fish are still in the sea, and they may be really in the mood for fishing.

Result? Trouble.

In theory it sounds correct. In practice, it is asking for problems. The whole idea is to become convinced enough that the two of you are supposed to be together that you will present it to the world, and they can take it or leave it if they want to, but the two of you are getting married, whether parents, family, ex-lovers, siblings or anyone else on the planet likes it or not.

That's my take, and keep in mind it is from experience. I'm not going into it, so don't ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Josho and charity

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would be the question, yes. LoL.

Ok, look. I used to subscribe to the same theory when I was younger, and if it were only in the eyes of God and a lifelong commitment were made by both people, the argument might be able to hold water... if they were on a deserted island somewhere, LoL.

The problem is this, and again, I am speaking as one who used to believe in it:

It needs to be a contract you make before men, i.e. before society. It is just as much for the sake of declaring a contract before God as before the rest of society, because it notifies everyone else that:

A. He is taken, and
B. She is taken.
C. Both are off the market, so don't bother shopping.

If the couple don't do this, there may still be tensions in the relationship, and that will certainly get amplified if some guy she looks interested in starts coming on to her, or if some woman starts flirting with him. For all they can see, the fish are still in the sea, and they may be really in the mood for fishing.

Result? Trouble.

In theory it sounds correct. In practice, it is asking for trouble. The whole idea is to become convinced enough that the two of you are supposed to be together that you will present it to the world, and they can take it or leave it if they want to, but the two of you are getting married, whether parents, family, ex-lovers, siblings or anyone else on the planet likes it or not.

That's my take, and keep in mind it is from experience. I'm not going into it, so don't ask.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're trying to say though. :confused:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything after the part of when you were telling me the problem and speaking as somebody who used to believe in it. :confused:

LoL!! I can tell I'm really getting through. :p

I'll let someone else respond. I'm just telling you I ran head first into an emotional and spiritual train wreck when I was 26, and it ruined my testimony for the better part of 13 years. I wouldn't want that happening to anyone. It was torturous. Our "marriage" should have never happened to begin with, and if I had been a bit more principled about doing things the right way, circumstances might have helped me avoid sabotaging the best years of my life.

Not saying that's you or anything. Just saying my marriage without an altar was most certainly NOT a great experience.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LoL!! I can tell I'm really getting through. :p

I'll let someone else respond. I'm just telling you I ran head first into an emotional and spiritual train wreck when I was 26, and it ruined my testimony for the better part of 13 years. I wouldn't want that happening to anyone. It was torturous. Our "marriage" should have never happened to begin with, and if I had been a bit more principled about doing things the right way, circumstances might have helped me avoid sabotaging the best years of my life.

Not saying that's you or anything. Just saying my marriage without an altar was most certainly NOT a great experience.

Ah okay now I get what you're saying.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hehe JK go ahead. :p

:)

Your threads are fun, but your signature is SO cluttered it makes reading them almost unbearable. I have to scan half a page just to get to the next post. And when you're only posting a five word sentence, it's like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Just saying. You'd make life simpler on everyone if you maybe downsized it just a tad. If it weren't for the cat, I might never know where your stuff even ends, LoL.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:)

Your threads are fun, but your signature is SO cluttered it makes reading them almost unbearable. I have to scan half a page just to get to the next post. And when you're only posting a five word sentence, it's like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Just saying. You'd make life simpler on everyone if you maybe downsized it just a tad. If it weren't for the cat, I might never know where your stuff even ends, LoL.

But I really like my siggy though. :(