What is perfection?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

arunangelo

Aug 22, 2009
Omaha
surrendersacrifice.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True love is perfection, because, love is God; and God is Perfect. Perfection is infinity. Love therefore has no limit. For love, to have no limit, it must be unconditional. Therefore, no condition will affect it. In other words, love will always express itself; even to those who are killing you and care nothing about you. Love, therefore, has no barriers and will never be partial. It will never stop giving; and will sacrifice one’s own life, so that those who are hurting and killing you, may have life. This is precisely what Jesus did on cross-suffer the most painful and humiliating death for those who were insulting and killing Him. He even befriended Judas, and never gave up on him; although He knew that he would be a total failure and betray him. The only thing we need to do to embrace perfect love, is to look at the perfect love on the cross; and like the good thief next to Jesus, see it as it is. This will purify our heart through repentance.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
True love is perfection, because, love is God
True enough, but let's not forget holiness and righteousness as expressions of perfection. And only God has all these attributes in their fulness, and in their harmony with each other.

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It will never stop giving; and will sacrifice one’s own life, so that those who are hurting and killing you, may have life.

Aligns well with what He reveals as perfect in (Matthew 5:43-48)

This is precisely what Jesus did on cross-suffer the most painful and humiliating death for those who were insulting and killing Him.

Perfection: A quickening (Life-giving) Spirit.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Doesn't perfection also have the meaning of maturity or full growth, of enduring unto the end?
Yes. Perfection does mean that, but it does not stop there. God's ultimate plan for His saints is glorification (Rom 8:29,30), which is absolute perfection in body, soul, and spirit. "We shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is" (1 John 3:2).

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We often get a little too self-righteous, and forget that WE are not perfect, and never will be, here on this Earth… We are merely BEING perfected.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@arunangelo
@Enoch111
@Helen
@VictoryinJesus

Hi there,

Doesn't perfection also have the meaning of maturity or full growth, of enduring unto the end? I think of such passages of Scripture as, Hebrews 6:1 & 2 Corinthians 13:9, the context of which is concerning going on unto maturity.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Maturity or full growth, of enduring to the end.
Agree but a few things come to mind about this maturity. Enduring to the end...only the Spirit endures until the end. When I think of maturity I think of what Paul said of their needing milk for they were still carnal. Inspired by the Spirit Paul wrote they were not ready for meat. Christ said He had meat they knew not of and that meat was to do the will of the Father. Is not the will of the Father that we walk in the Spirit and not the flesh. The carnal man doesn’t endure but the Spiritual man born from above. One decreases...that Christ may increase(profit). Point is yes, agree, ”Maturity or full growth, of enduring to the end.” God contrast what endures to the end in the passage where God says to be perfect as your Father is perfect...then gives His “perfect” which concerns Love and Charity even toward that which is against Him. Then the word contrast this also in the parables of the stony ground or the fertile ground. The fertile ground being the only “good ground” which brings forth and bears fruit. Again this brings up that “Mary has chosen that which is good and will not be taken away from her” and store up treasure in heaven where men don’t steal. Mary rested at His feet (the gospel of peace). We see the good ground, yeah? Spiritual fruit. It is a growth into maturity but we also shouldn’t agree with what man says is impossible and deems evil but instead agree with what God said is possible with Him. The word says to walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh. The word encourages to walk in the Spirit and newness of the quickening (life-giving) Spirit of God and be profitable and not futile and empty nor void...but abounding with fruit. One day at a time...edifying one another and building each other up in the Spirit of God...not tearing each other down with the impossibly.

Ephesians 4:14-16 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; (As the devil lies in wait, sin at the door to deceive)15] But speaking the truth in love(Christ), may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: [16] From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

...makes increase of the body unto the edifying of the body in Christ.
Again edifying toward “perfect love” which cast out torment he who has torment has not been made perfect in love. Not away from perfect love. 2 Peter 1:5-8 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; [6] And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; [7] And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. [8] For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Consider where Paul said whether abounding or abased...He would rejoice in all things in the Lord.

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We often get a little too self-righteous, and forget that WE are not perfect, and never will be, here on this Earth… We are merely BEING perfected.
He Willie,

1 Corinthians 2:6 KJV
[6] Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

How is this fulfilled in your opinion?
Tecarta Bible

Reactions: Candidus

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi there,

Doesn't perfection also have the meaning of maturity or full growth, of enduring unto the end? I think of such passages of Scripture as, Hebrews 6:1 & 2 Corinthians 13:9, the context of which is concerning going on unto maturity.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Agree...coming to the measure of the fullness of Christ.

I personally see perfection differently than maturity.
An apple blossom can be perfect...but it's not the ripe apple.

I am not one who believes that we can , of ourselves, reach perfection this side of glory. I know many believe that they can work their way , getting better and better daily and reach that goal.

I believe that 1 Cor 15 shows it..
25 "For He must reign, till He hath put all enemies under His feet..... .....
..... And when all things shall be subdued unto Him, then shall the Son also Himself be subject unto Him that put all things under Him, that God may be all in all."

There I believe is our perfection... I could be wrong..;)

Reactions: Waiting on him

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Agree...coming to the measure of the fullness of Christ.

I personally see perfection differently than maturity.
An apple blossom can be perfect...but it's not the ripe apple.

I am not one who believes that we can , of ourselves, reach perfection this side of glory. I know many believe that they can work their way , getting better and better daily and reach that goal.

I believe that 1 Cor 15 shows it..
25 "For He must reign, till He hath put all enemies under His feet..... .....
..... And when all things shall be subdued unto Him, then shall the Son also Himself be subject unto Him that put all things under Him, that God may be all in all."

There I believe is our perfection... I could be wrong..;)
Hello @Helen,

The two references I gave were from Corinthians and Hebrews. The Hebrew believers were wavering and there was the danger of them turning back into Judaism, and not enduring to the end (or going on to perfection in that sense). The Corinthians also were babes, and needed to go on to know Christ in all His fulness, they were in danger of being influenced by false teachers, so they needed to grow in grace and truth and in the knowledge of God in Christ Jesus. Why? That they may be faithful, and also endure unto the end.

That is what I believe going on to perfection is: crossing over the line at the end of the race, having kept the faith.

Maturity brings the awareness of our completeness in Christ, and there all striving ceases, doesn't it Helen? In Him we are already Holy and without blame, we are simply called upon to live in the light of it, rejoicing in the fullness of God in Christ Jesus.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See man can put any spin on the word game he wishes, but bottom line God is the author and He decides what the words mean. This is why it’s a mystery?

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@arunangelo
@Enoch111
@Helen
@VictoryinJesus

Hi there,

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hi Chris,
This is what I have always thought it was as well as "completeness". And that, only if we complete the race set before us will we come into His perfection. JMHO.
:)

Reactions: Helen