What IS "sound doctrine".

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Why is sound doctrine so important?"

Paul charges Titus, “You must teach what is in accord with sound doctrine” Titus 2:1.
It makes it obvious that sound doctrine is important.

Sound doctrine is important because our faith is based on a specific message.
The overall teaching of the church contains many elements, but the primary message is explicitly defined: Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures , and.. . . . "He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures” 1 Corinthians 15:3-4.

This is the good news, and it is “of first importance.”
If we change that message, then the whole basis of faith shifts from Christ to something else.

Our eternal destiny depends upon hearing “the word of truth, the gospel of your salvationEphesians 1:13; and 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14).

Sound doctrine is important because the gospel is a sacred trust, and we dare not tamper with God’s communication to the world.
Our duty is to deliver the message, not to change it.
Jude conveys an urgency in guarding the trust: “I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints” Jude 1:3; and Philippians 1:27).
To “contend” carries the idea of strenuously fighting for something, to give it everything you’ve got.
The Bible includes a warning neither to add to nor subtract from God’s Word Revelation 22:18-19. Rather than alter the apostles’ doctrine, we receive what has been passed down to us and keep it- as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus2 Timothy 1:13.

Sound doctrine is important because what we believe affects what we do.
.... there is a direct correlation between what we think and how we act.
When two people stand on top of a bridge, one believes he can fly, and the other believes he cannot fly. Their next actions will be quite different . In the same way, a man who believes that there is no such thing as right and wrong will naturally behave differently from a man who believes in well defined moral standards.
In one of the biblical lists of sins, things like rebellion, murder, lying, and slave trading are mentioned. The list concludes with “whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine”
1 Timothy 1:9-10).
In other words, true teaching promotes righteousness...unrighteousness flourishes where “the sound doctrine” is opposed, changed, or added to.

Jesus said .."And ye shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free.." John 8:32

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Paul charges Titus, “You must teach what is in accord with sound doctrine” Titus 2:1.

The overall teaching of the church contains many elements, but the primary message is explicitly defined: Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures , and.. . . . "He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures” 1 Corinthians 15:3-4.

If we change that message, then the whole basis of faith shifts from Christ to something else.

Our eternal destiny depends upon hearing “the word of truth, the gospel of your salvationEphesians 1:13; and 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14).

Sound doctrine is important because the gospel is a sacred trust, and we dare not tamper with God’s communication to the world.
Jude conveys an urgency in guarding the trust: “I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints” Jude 1:3; and Philippians 1:27).
To “contend” carries the idea of strenuously fighting for something, to give it everything you’ve got.
The Bible includes a warning neither to add to nor subtract from God’s Word Revelation 22:18-19. Rather than alter the apostles’ doctrine, we receive what has been passed down to us and keep it- as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus2 Timothy 1:13.

When two people stand on top of a bridge, one believes he can fly, and the other believes he cannot fly. Their next actions will be quite different . In the same way, a man who believes that there is no such thing as right and wrong will naturally behave differently from a man who believes in well defined moral standards.
In one of the biblical lists of sins, things like rebellion, murder, lying, and slave trading are mentioned. The list concludes with “whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine”
In other words, true teaching promotes righteousness...unrighteousness flourishes where “the sound doctrine” is opposed, changed, or added to.

Jesus said .."And ye shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free.." John 8:32
Sound doctrine is typically offensive to the one opposing it. If it is offensive maybe it’s because it doesn’t fit our actions

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sound doctrine leads to sound practice. No one is saved by sound beliefs...but by the actions these produce. If you study more about Paul's admonition to sound doctrine you realize he is talking about the practice of the truth.

So if your doctrine doesn't lead to sound practice it isn't sound.

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not uncommon to hear the word "sound" as if it had the meaning of "accurate, correct, or pure." The Greek word here translated "sound," “hugiano” (Strong’s # 5198), is the same word from which we derive our English word "hygiene." It bears the same meaning as the English, "pertaining to health, to be healthy."

Perhaps the best translation would be "wholesome" as in 1 Tim 6:3, (this translation is also used in 2 Tim 4:3).

If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ AND to the doctrine which accords with godliness.”

It is significant that these "wholesome" (or hygienic) words are here combined with "the doctrine that is according to godliness," to godly living.

However doctrine is not referred to in scriptures as being clean or unclean. We read of pure doctrine, good doctrine and sound doctrine. And so by implication we know that all other teachings, which are in contradiction to the word of God, are not sound or pure doctrines.

It is we who need to be clean in order that we might have or understand sound doctrine

Be ye clean that bear the vessels of the Lord” (Isa 52:11). The word "Ye" represents the Lord’s people, and the vessels they bear, are the doctrines or teachings of the Truth. And just as surely as we ourselves are to be clean in thought, word and actions just as surely must our doctrine be in harmony with the Divine Plan--clean, pure and sound.

Reactions: Helen

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“true teaching promotes righteousness” The Teacher: 1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

1 Corinthians 2:13
[13] Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Spirit teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Sound Doctrine...The Only Sound doctrine: John 7:16
[16] Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

Your OP makes me think of 2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Episkopos and Helen

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, this makes me think of Romans 6. Paul states a fact that Jesus makes us "dead to sin." And yet, further he emphasizes the necessity of reckoning ourselves dead to sin. Why? Because of your statement. "there is a direct correlation between what we think and how we act." He goes on in the same chapter to warn us that if we go on and commit sin we again become sin's slave. And the wages of sin is death.

So even though Jesus cleanses us from all sin, making us sinless at that point, and even gives us the Holy Spirit to empower us to remain dead to sin, we still have free will, and the temptations are still there. But God always gives us a way of escape. If you resist the devil, he will free from you. This resistance to Satan must become a way of life, and your thinking must be that you are free from sin.

Reactions: brakelite and Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Correct. "Sound" means wholesome or that which is for the health of the soul. "Doctrine" is translated from the Greek διδασκαλίᾳ, which means teaching or instruction. In particular, God's teaching to men.

Christ personally taught or gave instructions to His apostles, and they in turn taught faithful men what they had been taught. They also recorded it in the New Testament. But sound doctrine encompasses all of Scripture from Genesis to Revelation (2 Tim 3:16,17).

Even while the apostles were on earth false doctrines began to be promoted within the churches, and in less than 4 centuries, a whole array of man-made doctrines were accepted as sound doctrine, even though they were contrary to Scripture.

Today, every Christian must carefully and diligently study the Bible and ignore all man-made ideas. And that will not be easy since we are already seeing the Great Apostasy around us.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. "Sound" means wholesome or that which is for the health of the soul. "Doctrine" is translated from the Greek διδασκαλίᾳ, which means teaching or instruction. In particular, God's teaching to men.

Christ personally taught or gave instructions to His apostles, and they in turn taught faithful men what they had been taught. They also recorded it in the New Testament. But sound doctrine encompasses all of Scripture from Genesis to Revelation (2 Tim 3:16,17).

Even while the apostles were on earth false doctrines began to be promoted within the churches, and in less than 4 centuries, a whole array of man-made doctrines were accepted as sound doctrine, even though they were contrary to Scripture.

Today, every Christian must carefully and diligently study the Bible and ignore all man-made ideas. And that will not be easy since we are already seeing the Great Apostasy around us.

Yes, but I see "the Great Apostasy" as being here for some time, a few hundred years, in fact. I have a great fear for the Church that whole denominations are in peril. It is concerning the law. Some have twisted sound doctrine that makes freedom from the law, into lawlessness. No, it is a change in how we fulfill the righteous requirements of the law of God. By Spirit, not Letter. They have left sound doctrine that Jesus makes us free FROM sin, and changed it to, Jesus makes us free TO sin.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
.. in less than 4 centuries, a whole array of man-made doctrines were accepted as sound doctrine, even though they were contrary to Scripture.

Thank you.

How do we "check out" when people give arguments ( like on the site here)
and call it sound doctrine. It is seeming to me that in every argument I read in threads, is argued "this is God word and sound doctrine."

In that which I have 'bolded' from your quote , how can we know which is which and what is what?

In the OP I am somewhat jumpy in straying very far, or accepting much beyond
- "Jesus Christ and Him Crucified.." and "raised the third day..".

What else can you guarantee as SOUND doctrine that hasn't been aded to , as in your post. I guess that is really my concern right now. And my reason fir the OP.

The thing which is bothering me is, with some people their "sound doctrine" often seems to have no connection to Jesus Christ and Him crucified./ resurrected/glorified.
The other phrase I see used a lot is- "not correct doctrine".
Everyone seems to have their own idea of what that is!
Maybe that is too broad a question?

"For me" if the cross is not central in it, I hold is suspect.

Thanks...H

Last edited:

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Apostasy had its earliest beginnings during the Smyrna stage of the church shortly after the last of the Apostles fell asleep, but the true falling away began during the Pergamos stage (meaning "earthly elevation") with the rise of Papal system. It is important to realize that the Great Apostasy or falling away is not merely something which is taking place now, it has already taken place, and continues even to this day. Only the sanctuary class have escaped this apostasy, the vast majority of the professing church still remains captive.

Reactions: brakelite
D

Dave L

Doctrine is a conclusion about what scripture says. Sound doctrine is scripture properly balanced and interpreted correctly.

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you.

and call it sound doctrine. It is seeming to me that in every argument I read in threads, is argued "this is God word and sound doctrine."

In that which I have 'bolded' from your quote , how can we know which is which and what is what?

What else can you guarantee as SOUND doctrine that hasn't been aded to , as in your post. I guess that is really my concern right now. And my reason fir the OP.

The thing which is bothering me is, with some people their "sound doctrine" often seems to have no connection to Jesus Christ and Him crucified./ resurrected/glorified.
The other phrase I see used a lot is- "not correct doctrine".
Everyone seems to have their own idea of what that is!
Maybe that is too broad a question?

"For me" if the cross is not central in it, I hold is suspect.

Thanks...H

You are correct here my sister, the cross is the central focus.

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom (“a corresponding price”) for all, to be testified in due time.” 1 Tim. 2:5, 6

The ransom is the very center and foundation principle of all true Christian doctrine. And it is upon this point of doctrine that THE GREAT TEST of the close of this age is to come.

As stated the ransom should be seen to be the very center of the Word and plan of God, and THE MOST THROUGH TEST THAT CAN BE APPLIED TO ANY THEORY, to prove at once whether it is of God or of men.

Whatever is found out of harmony with this foundation principle of the Gospel, preached by Jesus and the Apostles, should be let severely alone. To tamper with that which you perceive to be off the only foundation for faith, laid in God's Word, is dangerous.

To allow either yourself OR OTHERS FOR YOU to devise and arrange another plan of salvation than that which God reveals, is to trust to your own or their blind reasoning’s and to abandon the lines and points which God has marked for our guidance in his revelation. You cannot trust your own reasoning faculties or those of others outside those lines and points, which God has furnished. To go outside them is to get lost in a mental maze in which all is speculation and uncertainty, because such lies outside of the fixed lines provided for our restraint by our loving Creator.

The Lord's invitation, "Come, let us reason together," implies that we are to reason with Him, inside these lines which he has erected for our preservation from error, and not that we should abandon his Word to reason for ourselves. And the subject upon which we reason and the lines, which must limit our reasoning’s, are indicated in the words which follow the invitation to reason--"Though your sins be as scarlet they shall be white as wool." Here is an acknowledgement of sin, and of a fall, and of a just condemnation. It is also an admission that the sins are scarlet-- of a deep dyed and fast color--that we cannot wash them away ourselves, and that God proposes to cleanse them away for us through the blood of the Lamb slain for our redemption.

The difficulty with Eve was just this which is now to test the Church, the second Eve. (2 Cor. 11:3) Eve knew the lines which God had placed, she knew the liberty which the gracious Creator had bestowed, and she knew the limit of that liberty--that she must not partake of the forbidden tree; but she chafed under any restriction. The restrictions would probably have been removed in time, but Eve was not submissive to the Lord's plan, and lent an ear to the suggestion of the tempter that she should assert and use her liberty, and not recognize God's superior wisdom and yield willing obedience. As she forsook all the other trees of the garden, so beautiful and so good, to partake of the forbidden one, so now the Church is tempted to forsake all the exceeding great and precious and harmonious truths of God's Word, our garden of delights, and to seek other wisdom (the wisdom of man), which will as surely carry them away from the true gospel as Eve's disobedience led out of Eden.

If our first parents, with perfect reasoning faculties, needed the Lord's direction, because of their inexperience, how much more necessary it is for us, who not only lack experience, but also lack perfection of mental capacity and balance, to stay close to the Word of the Lord and carefully avoid even an attempt to reason outside of its defined lines, or in opposition to its clearly expressed doctrine on this subject of the ransom, which, like a finger-board, distinguishes the way the Lord planned and directs from all other ways.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Agree that He is the center. What God revealed in the Son is center. Consider what was revealed put a stop to mouths that said otherwise of God in what He wants which is restored relationship and for those to come near unto Him. Isaiah 58:1-14 has been on my mind a lot the past couple of days ...the fast God said He has chosen. Yes, He did all that is in Isaiah of setting the captives free and dealing His bread(Christ) to the poor but God also said of His chosen that it was what they would do also and then (paraphrasing) their Healing would come when they stopped pointing the finger and speaking vanity. the Son wasn’t vain. He fully demonstrated thinking on the things of others before himself. It is us who need to be set free from vanity and the bondage of corruption. Then health comes. The health only God can give. So (IMO) as you said Christ is and always is the center of sound doctrine. God’s Doctrine. He is the center of a sound mind showing us to take on His yoke. @Harvest 1874 had some really good points to his post.

It is not uncommon to hear the word "sound" as if it had the meaning of "accurate, correct, or pure." The Greek word here translated "sound," “hugiano” (Strong’s # 5198), is the same word from which we derive our English word "hygiene." It bears the same meaning as the English, "pertaining to health, to be healthy."

Can understand why sound doctrine could be “pertaining to health, to be healthy.” As with all that is in @Harvest 1874 post all the words speak of the doctrine of God in Christ as “clean”. While I agreed with the post I’m still not in full agreement with how it came together or maybe I didn't fully understand the doctrine of it. Only that it does show God’s doctrine which is His sending the Son to reveal the brightness (express) image of Him who sent Him.

Agree that it is easy to drown in all the sea of doctrines out there. For me, Romans 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

Helps direct through all the doctrines of men. Christ as the Hope of Romans 8:20. If a doctrine pushes vanity as in
John 7:18 it may be false “He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.”

He even shows us the absence or freedom from the bondage the creation was subjected to in the verse right before: John 7:16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

“My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.” Always pointing to the Father above rather than to flesh.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

It is said that empty vessels make the most sound. So does that mean sound doctrine needs something or someone that is empty?

Jesus emptied himself and thought equality with God was not a thing to be grasped.

Speaking in tongues or prophecy is more likely to happen if there is an empty vessel available.

B

Butterfly

I have been looking at Titus this morning- Paul is instructing Titus as he left him on the island of Crete to continue the work there. Amongst the believers were those who felt that circumcision was needed for salvation.
The ' sound doctrine ' is summarised in 2:11-14 for the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men
It teaches us to say no to ungodliness and worlds passions
It teaches us to live self controlled , upright and Godly lives in the present age
While we wait for the blessed hope - the glorious appearing of God and Savious, Jesus Christ- who gave himself for us ' to redeem us from all wickedness '
Then in 3:4-7
When the kindness and love of God appeared our savour saved us , not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy ( this may mean, it wasn't through circumcion or the keeping of the law )
He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit , whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ , so having been justified by his grace , we might become heirs having hope in eternal life
I found it interesting that Paul uses the word ' teaches ' - it's a learning curve, teaching takes time !
Also he later goes on to say that it is profitable to do what is good , and benefits everyone , compared with avoid foolish controversies ands geneologies and arguments and guarrels about the law , because these to not profit and are useless. Want devisions people once, then again, after that have nothing to do with them..........Paul doesn't state that any were non believers - Titus was overseeing those who believed.
Rita

B

Butterfly

' sound ' doctrine , to me, means ' solid - secure - genuine '
Paul expresses the very foundations of his faith , and encourages Titus to convey the same. All of those believers in Crete would have heard Paul speak the basics, but even in the short time of people coming to faith, other things had been added and interpreted.Other things were being taught to others- misleading them.
Titus himself was uncircumcised, as opposed to Paul who was- maybe the groups were targeting him because of that- Paul was giving him authority to stand up to the foundations and what was important.
Rita

Reactions: Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
' sound ' doctrine , to me, means ' solid - secure - genuine '
Paul expresses the very foundations of his faith , and encourages Titus to convey the same. All of those believers in Crete would have heard Paul speak the basics, but even in the short time of people coming to faith, other things had been added and interpreted.Other things were being taught to others- misleading them.
Titus himself was uncircumcised, as opposed to Paul who was- maybe the groups were targeting him because of that- Paul was giving him authority to stand up to the foundations and what was important.
Rita
It's interesting that sound doctrine is what would describe the contents of Paul's faith as seen in his Epistles, and while he was strongly against circumcision as an obligation - holding that to oblige it would undermine the Gospel - he did circumcise Timothy as an act received voluntarily, evidently so that Timothy could have more of a hearing among Jews. I think this is an important consideration when it comes to witness means today.

B

Butterfly

It's interesting that sound doctrine is what would describe the contents of Paul's faith as seen in his Epistles, and while he was strongly against circumcision as an obligation - holding that to oblige it would undermine the Gospel - he did circumcise Timothy as an act received voluntarily, evidently so that Timothy could have more of a hearing among Jews. I think this is an important consideration when it comes to witness means today.
That's a good point and one perhaps we need to consider more - it didn't make Timothy any less of a Christian for being circumcised, but on the other hand neither did it make titus any less either- both were relevant to there aim and purpose.
Often we judge one another for crossing certain lines based on our awareness , not actually based on understanding the motive and reasoning behind it.

Reactions: Helen and farouk

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The difficulty with Eve was just this which is now to test the Church, the second Eve. (2 Cor. 11:3) Eve knew the lines which God had placed, she knew the liberty which the gracious Creator had bestowed, and she knew the limit of that liberty--that she must not partake of the forbidden tree; but she chafed under any restriction. The restrictions would probably have been removed in time, but Eve was not submissive to the Lord's plan, and lent an ear to the suggestion of the tempter that she should assert and use her liberty, and not recognize God's superior wisdom and yield willing obedience. As she forsook all the other trees of the garden, so beautiful and so good, to partake of the forbidden one, so now the Church is tempted to forsake all the exceeding great and precious and harmonious truths of God's Word, our garden of delights, and to seek other wisdom (the wisdom of man), which will as surely carry them away from the true gospel as Eve's disobedience led out of Eden.

I like this...it has good points ...never seen Eve as a type of the Church. ( under testing and proving...)
I do not believe all of 'the church' becomes the Bride.
Those without spot and wrinkle.

As I look 'out there', I see the church

Reactions: WalterandDebbie