What is the first commandment?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Bible alone please
"I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:2-3

Or...

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment." Matt 22:37-38

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"You shall have no other gods be fore Me" I respond...
I shall have no other gods before You!
For You alone are worthy to receive all glory, honor, and praise! Forever, amen, hallelujah!

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Bible alone please

There are many "first commandments." It depends on what you mean by that. Here are some examples of how you can count the "first" commandment:

1) Creating things, the first creation most specifically for "He commanded and they [all things] were made."
2) The first commandment to mankind specifically: "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it, and rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of heaven, and over every animal that moves upon the earth."
3) First commandment to the nation of Israel as a whole: "This month will be the beginning of months; it will be for you the first of the months of the year. Speak to all the community of Israel, saying, ‘On the tenth of this month, they will each take for themselves a lamb for the family, a lamb for the household..." [I might need to check this one but in a commentary it says this is the first one that nation was given as a whole, the beginning of the Mosaic Law.]
4) First of the Ten Commandments: "There shall be for you no other gods before me."
5) Say "first" means "greatest" and then we have the greatest commandment: "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment."
6) First commandment of the Lord Jesus to anyone?: in St. Matthew's Gospel it is: "Permit it now, for in this way it is right for us to fulfill all righteousness." in St. Mark's it is: "Repent and believe in the gospel!" in St. Luke's it is: "Be silent and come out of him!" in St. John's it is: "Come and you will see!" [Note I am not counting Him quoting commandments to Satan as a commandment of His even though in a sense it is.]

So you see, it depends on how you count them and what you are looking for.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Or...

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment." Matt 22:37-38

sorry I meant the 1st of the Ten Commandments

how do you know from the “Bible alone” that this helps a the first?
Or how do you know where the first ends and the second begins?

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To put Him first. Your kingdom come, Your will be done in me and through me.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"You shall have no other gods be fore Me" I respond...
I shall have no other gods before You!
For You alone are worthy to receive all glory, honor, and praise! Forever, amen, hallelujah!

what is the content of the first of the Ten Commandments from the “Bible alone”?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many "first commandments." It depends on what you mean by that. Here are some examples of how you can count the "first" commandment:

1) Creating things, the first creation most specifically for "He commanded and they [all things] were made."
2) The first commandment to mankind specifically: "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it, and rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of heaven, and over every animal that moves upon the earth."
3) First commandment to the nation of Israel as a whole: "This month will be the beginning of months; it will be for you the first of the months of the year. Speak to all the community of Israel, saying, ‘On the tenth of this month, they will each take for themselves a lamb for the family, a lamb for the household..." [I might need to check this one but in a commentary it says this is the first one that nation was given as a whole, the beginning of the Mosaic Law.]
4) First of the Ten Commandments: "There shall be for you no other gods before me."
5) Say "first" means "greatest" and then we have the greatest commandment: "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment."
6) First commandment of the Lord Jesus to anyone?: in St. Matthew's Gospel it is: "Permit it now, for in this way it is right for us to fulfill all righteousness." in St. Mark's it is: "Repent and believe in the gospel!" in St. Luke's it is: "Be silent and come out of him!" in St. John's it is: "Come and you will see!" [Note I am not counting Him quoting commandments to Satan as a commandment of His even though in a sense it is.]

So you see, it depends on how you count them and what you are looking for.

sorry for the confusion
I mean the first commandment of the Ten Commandments of ex 20

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To put Him first. Your kingdom come, Your will be done in me and through me.

Yes but I mean of the “Ten Commandments” ex 20

From the “Bible alone”
what is the first commandment?

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
what is the content of the first of the Ten Commandments from the “Bible alone”?
I know the second, but I'm talking about the first. In my life, I put Him first, despising all else. He alone is God most high.
From Him, through Him, to Him, be all things. To God be the glory forever!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mary is not God or a god
Veneration is not worship or adoration or offering of sacrifice
For all practical purposes Mary is worshipped. Here is a good example:

English Translation of the Salve Regina
Queen, mother of mercy
:
our life, sweetness, and hope, hail.
To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve.
To you we sigh, mourning and weeping
in this valley of tears.
Turn then, our advocate,
those merciful eyes
toward us.
And Jesus, the blessed fruit of thy womb,
after our exile, show us.
O clement, O loving, O sweet
Virgin Mary.

Since Mary has been substituted for God and Christ in this hymn to Mary, what else is it other than worship?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sorry I meant the 1st of the Ten Commandments

how do you know from the “Bible alone” that this helps a the first?
Or how do you know where the first ends and the second begins?
As I guess you do not remember, I do not follow the Bible alone! I follow the Word of God.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know the second, but I'm talking about the first. In my life, I put Him first, despising all else. He alone is God most high.
From Him, through Him, to Him, be all things. To God be the glory forever!

I Agree

but we m trying to know which is the first commandment?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I guess you do not remember, I do not follow the Bible alone! I follow the Word of God.

I know and I appreciate it
The answer is the Bible alone does not say what the content of the first commandment is, it does have the content for all ten in that chapter

Reactions: amadeus

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For all practical purposes Mary is worshipped. Here is a good example:

English Translation of the Salve Regina
Queen, mother of mercy
:
our life, sweetness, and hope, hail.
To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve.
To you we sigh, mourning and weeping
in this valley of tears.
Turn then, our advocate,
those merciful eyes
toward us.
And Jesus, the blessed fruit of thy womb,
after our exile, show us.
O clement, O loving, O sweet
Virgin Mary.

Since Mary has been substituted for God and Christ in this hymn to Mary, what else is it other than worship?

here is the actual hymn or prayer

it is addressed to Mary but is about our salvation

for Mary is the mother of our salvation
Lk 2:30 Jesus is our salvation Mary is his mother

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn, then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this, our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God.

R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Spirit of God has shown me that I'm to put Him before all things. This is confirmed in commandment #1.
I worship the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, not holy bible, nor the religious traditions of men.
I keep it simple. Anything else is stupid.