What is the mustard seed?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Matthew 17:20 He replied, "Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

Matthew 13:31-32 He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32. Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches."

What is the mustard seed, and why?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is the mustard seed, and why?
As noted above, it is the smallest of all seeds. As a metaphor applied to faith, the Lord taught that it is not the quantity of faith but the quality of faith that causes the hand of God to move and bring about what is impossible.

As applied to the Kingdom of Heaven, it shows that even though there were only eleven apostles who remained after the ascension of Christ (followed by Paul) the Gospel spread throughout the world (particularly the Roman empire) and within a short period all of Europe and Eurasia (including Russia) were converted to Christianity.

Reactions: DNB and marks

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As noted above, it is the smallest of all seeds. As a metaphor applied to faith, the Lord taught that it is not the quantity of faith but the quality of faith that causes the hand of God to move and bring about what is impossible.

As applied to the Kingdom of Heaven, it shows that even though there were only eleven apostles who remained after the ascension of Christ (followed by Paul) the Gospel spread throughout the world (particularly the Roman empire) and within a short period all of Europe and Eurasia (including Russia) were converted to Christianity.
So what is the quality of faith which makes the difference between 'so little faith' and 'faith as small as a mustard seed'.
"Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed,

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is something some call a "divine spark." Though tiny, its nature is such that it can attract non-life to it and make it living the way a plant converts "dead" matter into life.

Though small, it has the potential to grow tremendously. In Genesis, this is shown another way when the children of Abraham are compared to both sand and stars.

Genesis 22:17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

Putting it another way, that tiny spark or grain of sand can become a star.

Daniel 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.

Matthew 13:43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps Jesus spoke allegorically.

The mustard seed is, of course, not the smallest of seeds in the world or even among the seeds known to Jesus' audience. But it was a common seed and a good illustration to carry the teaching.

Reactions: Nancy and Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The mustard seed is, of course, not the smallest of seeds in the world or even among the seeds known to Jesus' audience. But it was a common seed and a good illustration to carry the teaching.
It is good to see that some people "think", and don't just blindly parrot, "The Bible said it, I believe it, and that settles it."

There is an orchid whose seed is only about 1/35,000,000th of an ounce.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Maybe it had to do also with how large the mustard plant is, in contrast?

Reactions: John Caldwell

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is something some call a "divine spark." Though tiny, its nature is such that it can attract non-life to it and make it living the way a plant converts "dead" matter into life.

Though small, it has the potential to grow tremendously. In Genesis, this is shown another way when the children of Abraham are compared to both sand and stars.

Genesis 22:17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

Putting it another way, that tiny spark or grain of sand can become a star.

Daniel 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.

Matthew 13:43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
Thank you Giuliano. Inspiring.

What is that divine spark?

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quantity of what?
The allegory you refer to is that of the tree. Why would it be necessary for the seed to grow into a tree so the birds can come and perch on it's branches?
I am not sure of your question. Quantity of faith (the allegory to which I am referring is of a measurement of faith, illustrating that the audiences lack of faith).

And He said to them, "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.

This is not speaking about growing faith, trees, or anything. But I do like peach trees (because I like peaches), if that helps.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Giuliano. Inspiring.

What is that divine spark?
Some say -- and I believe -- it is a "chip off the block" -- a tiny stone carved out of the throne of God. It is indeed part of God, given to us so we can be like Him.

If it "forgot" what it is, we could say it's like salt that lost its savor. If we think of it as sleeping in its forgetfulness, the sleeper must be wakened.