What is the "New Creature"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Godssrvr

Jan 16, 2018
South East/Tuscaloosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

To be "in Christ" is to be spiritually baptized into the body of Christ. Believers have been made "one spirit" with Him (1 Cor. 6:17). The "new creature" is a reference to our new spiritual identity in Christ. The more this is understood by the believer, the more we are enabled through Him to renew our minds giving us the will and grace to present our bodies as "living sacrifices" (Romans 12:1-2).

Many use 2 Cor. 5:17 to support a false gospel. They say this scripture teaches if you are "truly saved" you're lifestyle will be changed. This is true if the person that was saved "continues" (abides) in the Word. We cannot bear fruit of the Spirit without walking "in the Spirit" (John 15:1-5, Galatians 5:16).

2 Peter 1:2-9 teaches us His divine power gives us what we need pertaining to godliness "through the knowledge of Him". If our understanding of scripture is correct, we have this "knowledge", if it's incorrect, we don't!

2 Peter 1:2-9
2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
on your statement:
"Many use 2 Cor. 5:17 to support a false gospel. They say this scripture teaches if you are "truly saved" you're lifestyle will be changed. This is true if the person that was saved "continues" (abides) in the Word. We cannot bear fruit of the Spirit without walking "in the Spirit" (John 15:1-5, Galatians 5:16)."

I would agree, many organizations use it to justify the judgement of an individual, making the individual seek their approval of what (in this case) a Christian ought to be, in order to be a part of their version of Christianity.

Christian churches are the most experienced and one of the most skilled at manipulating people in today's world.

churches twist or as Peter says "wrest" not for the lack of knowledge as Peter says, but for the lack of the membership's knowledge. you see it here and other so called Christian forums all the day long.

those who know the Truth can recognize the Truth and will acknowledge the Truth. those who don't know the Truth but say they follow the Truth or believe the Truth can't discern one thing from another. so they go by what they see and feel as good and evil in their own judgement and say that is what a Christian ought to be.

I mean go and sin no more is a self evident precept in the context of repentance, and its supposed that one agrees that what the Lord God says one ought to be, is the true view. hence Jesus is correct and everyone else is incorrect, considering He is the Life received by the born again. the old man is on his way to the grave, born again or not, but the new mans destiny is in Christ for ever and ever amen. being born of Spirit is the first step to the completion of the new man, the resurrect unto life everlasting is the completion of the new man as Jesus is now.

basically Jesus made the new man in the Son of man, and once He completed that in the resurrection, He has given that same Life to those who would receive. born of a life, is to have that life born of.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ephesians 4:17-24 The New Man

17 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; 19 who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

20 But you have not so learned Christ, 21 if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, 23 and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the renewed man, which was remade after the likeness of God, in true righteousness and holiness.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Man can set about renewing his mind but if he does not put on the refurbished spirit of man, which is the likeness of God/Jesus, such that it becomes who he is, then all will be lost.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note: - In the above scriptures in verse 24 I have inserted my understanding, of the two highlighted portions of the meaning of the original Greek, in bold italics

Reactions: pastor marty

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

To be "in Christ" is to be spiritually baptized into the body of Christ. Believers have been made "one spirit" with Him (1 Cor. 6:17). The "new creature" is a reference to our new spiritual identity in Christ. The more this is understood by the believer, the more we are enabled through Him to renew our minds giving us the will and grace to present our bodies as "living sacrifices" (Romans 12:1-2).

Many use 2 Cor. 5:17 to support a false gospel. They say this scripture teaches if you are "truly saved" you're lifestyle will be changed. This is true if the person that was saved "continues" (abides) in the Word. We cannot bear fruit of the Spirit without walking "in the Spirit" (John 15:1-5, Galatians 5:16).

2 Peter 1:2-9 teaches us His divine power gives us what we need pertaining to godliness "through the knowledge of Him". If our understanding of scripture is correct, we have this "knowledge", if it's incorrect, we don't!

2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
The "new" creation or creature, is not a "new identity", but rather a creature born anew.

This theme is consistent with the new heaven and new earth (the old being destroyed by fire), the new temple (not of stone), the new covenant (one following Adam and the fall, and the other following Christ and the resurrection), the flesh "returning to the earth" and the spirit "unto God who gave it", etc..

"New" means new. It's not a figure of speech.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
When God wrapped the sixth day of creation, He declared it "finished" and
"ended". He then inaugurated a seventh day in which no creative activity
took place.

The interesting thing about the seventh day is that it isn't bounded by an
evening and a morning like the six days. In other words: the seventh day is
a perpetual day; i.e. it's still running, indicating that God hasn't created
anything more for the current cosmos since the end of the sixth day.

The koiné Greek word for "creature" in 2Cor 5:17 is ktisis (ktis'-is) which
actually indicates something original; i.e. nothing existing like it before.

In other words: the new creature spoken of in 2Cor 5:17 is not of this
current cosmos with all of its forms of life, matter, and energy. That being
the case, the new creature is not effected by the seventh day, rather, is
quite beyond it.

The new creature then, is not a citizen of either the current earth or of the
current cosmos. The new creature is actually a fish out of water, so to
speak. It doesn't belong here nor does it fit in here, rather, is quite out of
place-- a resident alien, if you will; at least that's how the Bible sees it.

Heb 11:13-16 . . All these people were still living by faith when they died.
They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed
them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and
strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking
for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had
left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing
for a better country-- a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be
called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

1Pet 2:11 . . Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world,
to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.

/

Last edited:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am giving my understanding of scripture, but anyone is welcome to share their own understanding.

So how do we actually do it?

There are loads of people sharing their ignorance about scripture. None of them say how to do it, or how they do it.

Godssrvr

Jan 16, 2018
South East/Tuscaloosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "new" creation or creature, is not a "new identity", but rather a creature born anew.

I think we are in agreement Scott. Our spirit is "born of God". This is the new creature, who's identity is now in Christ, not in Adam.

Man can set about renewing his mind but if he does not put on the refurbished spirit of man, which is the likeness of God/Jesus, such that it becomes who he is, then all will be lost.

I don't believe we renew our minds but have them renewed through the study of the Word and the power of the Holy Spirit. As we do, we learn how to "put on" the new man. Imagine telling a baby to "put on your new man now". We have to grow in knowledge before we can do much of anything. Not my teaching, but from 2 Peter 2:3.

Share, but also explain how.

It's been my experience that when you write too much at once, those seeking a quick answer ignore it because it's too long and they don't want to read it. If it's given in increments, they will. The bait was cast, and with the OP and some good comments from others, they can be drawn in a little at a time. ;)

Reactions: Helen

Godssrvr

Jan 16, 2018
South East/Tuscaloosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God predetermined before the foundation of the world not who would be saved, but how all believers would be saved.
Ephesians 1:4-5
"According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,"

God chose to save believers through Jesus Christ. When we believe the gospel, we are spiritually baptized into Christ by a work of the Holy Spirit. Our earthen body is unchanged.

Romans 6:3-4
"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."
1 Corinthians 15:47
The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.

This is a pretty amazing truth that should be recognized in understanding the "new creature". God sees the completed new creature. The glorified man. He sees the whole "parade" from his realm, but we are still walking through it, eagerly awaiting the finish. As it applies to us in the here and now, we (new creatures) are only in spirit, and are made one with Christ.

1 Corinthians 6:17
"But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit."

One day, the new creature will be complete as we are given our "glorified" bodies.

Romans 8:30
"Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified."
1 Corinthians 15:50-51
"Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

For now, the new creature in Christ is our spirit. We are "made the righteousness of God in Him". Our spirit is made perfect "in the beloved".

Ephesians 1:6
"To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved."

This is just amazing truth of scripture to me. I'm fascinated by how God works salvation in us. He does it through the work of the Holy Spirit Who makes us as Holy as He is through the "circumcision made without hands". We are "set apart" (sanctified) from the world and sin by a spiritual work of God.

Colossians 2:10-15
And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

We have been made perfect in Christ! Our new creature in Christ is incorruptible. Our spirit in Christ cannot be corrupted by sins of the flesh! Our mortal flesh is not born of God, it's our spirit which is "kept by the power of God".

1 John 3:9
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1 Peter 1:3-5
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
<snip>

I don't believe we renew our minds but have them renewed through the study of the Word and the power of the Holy Spirit. As we do, we learn how to "put on" the new man. Imagine telling a baby to "put on your new man now". We have to grow in knowledge before we can do much of anything. Not my teaching, but from 2 Peter 2:3.

<snip>

Let me again quote the verse: -

Ephesians 4:23: - and be renewed in the spirit of your mind,

So what you are saying is that we play no part in the learning process, that we are not responsible for what we believe or learn.

That is contrary to what I understand about the learning process.

The learning process requires that a person takes on board the new "data packet of information," and compares it with previously learned data packets which he has stored and then decides what he will do with the newer "data packet of information." A person can either reject or accept the newer "data packet of information" and then process it accordingly. As such the person is very involved in the learning process and consequently in the renewing/reshaping of what they believe and accept as the "truth".

You then go on to reference 2 Peter 2:3, but let me quote the context of that verse: -

2 Peter 1:16-2:11: -
The Trustworthy Prophetic Word
(Matt 17:5; Mark 9:7; Luke 9:35)

16 For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. 17 For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." 18 And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.

19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Destructive Doctrines

2:
1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.

Doom of False Teachers

4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; 5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly; 6 and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly; 7 and delivered righteous Lot, who was oppressed by the filthy conduct of the wicked 8 (for that righteous man, dwelling among them, tormented his righteous soul from day to day by seeing and hearing their lawless deeds) — 9 then the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment, 10 and especially those who walk according to the flesh in the lust of uncleanness and despise authority. They are presumptuous, self-willed. They are not afraid to speak evil of dignitaries, 11 whereas angels, who are greater in power and might, do not bring a reviling accusation against them before the Lord.

What does this have to do with the topic except that there are false teachings and teachers leading many astray.

Sadly our English translations leave a lot to be desired and it requires us to delve into the original texts to the best of our abilities to more fully understand what the Scriptures are actually saying.

The "New" of the "new man/creature" in Ephesians 4:24 is from the Greek Root Word, G:2537, "kainos" which has the meaning of "freshness" with respect to the object and has nothing to do with the "age" of the object. As such when we see the word "new" in the NT we have to see if it is referring to G:2537, "freshness" or G:3501, which "is properly so with respect to age, i.e. new, newer, etc.".

We can have all of the head knowledge, but unless we decide to also "put on" the refurbished spirit of a Godly man such that it becomes who we are, then all will be lost.

Last edited:

Godssrvr

Jan 16, 2018
South East/Tuscaloosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what you are saying is that we play no part in the learning process, that we are not responsible for what we believe or learn.

No, you are reading what was written, but not understanding what was meant. It happens sometimes online.

This is what was written....

I don't believe we renew our minds but have them renewed through the study of the Word and the power of the Holy Spirit.

What I'm saying is, as mortals we are not capable of renewing our minds, but must depend on the Word of God and the power of the Holy Spirit. Our only part in it is to park ourselves long enough to read it, and allow Him to lead us into His truth without our injecting our own man made doctrines. The Spirit of God is the "anointing" and is the One to teach us all truth (1 John 2:27). He will only do that when we are willing to accept His truth and not mans.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, you are reading what was written, but not understanding what was meant. It happens sometimes online.

This is what was written....

What I'm saying is, as mortals we are not capable of renewing our minds, but must depend on the Word of God and the power of the Holy Spirit. Our only part in it is to park ourselves long enough to read it, and allow Him to lead us into His truth without our injecting our own man made doctrines. The Spirit of God is the "anointing" and is the One to teach us all truth (1 John 2:27). He will only do that when we are willing to accept His truth and not mans.

So in which thread did you post the last paragraph, cause I am not sure that I have read it in this thread except in your last post. Now, can you tell me how, I would have know that is what you meant, when I posted my previous response to you?

It seems to me that the 2 Peter 2:3 reference you posted was a Freudian slip up on your part.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think this might be my favorite post I have read on this forum!!! :)

(I know it was by Grace and Grace alone that my mind was renewed!!!
Almost overnight!!! Thank you, Lord.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and Godssrvr

Godssrvr

Jan 16, 2018
South East/Tuscaloosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(I know it was by Grace and Grace alone that my mind was renewed!!!
Almost overnight!!! Thank you, Lord.)

The way I understand scripture is teaching, We were changed instantly by His grace in spirit when we were born again. We now have a "new man" (spiritual, in Christ) and an "old man" (flesh, of the world). Our new man (spirit) has a "renewed mind". It is the mind of Christ. At any given time we either walk "after the flesh" or "after the Spirit". If we are walking after the flesh, we do not have the mind of Christ, but if we are after the Spirit, we do. We "put off" the old man, or put on the new man, but neither one stays on permanently. I have experienced this "old man" all too well in my Christian life I'm sorry to say. :(