What is the one true Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us...” — John 17:20, 21

It is often asked, “What is the right denomination?” There are hundreds, if not thousands of denominations all claiming to be this one true church, but does God recognize any of these as His representative on earth? This subject should be approached prayerfully and honestly. If there was but one church in the beginning, established by our Lord, there should be but the one church in the end — the church triumphant in glory. Colossians 3:4

The word church was first used in the New Testament and is a translation of the Greek word ekklesia, which means a calling out. Jesus said to his disciples, “I have chosen you out of the world.” (John 15:19) The true church is a company of believers who, in accepting the invitation of Christ, have become sanctified or separated from the world, worldly pursuits and worldly organizations.

Those of the early church bore no denominational names, but were simply identified by their location. “Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, …sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints…” (1 Corinthians 1:2) These sanctified individuals in various communities set themselves apart from the world and dedicate their lives to God through the merit of His Son. Thus, the true church is not a place to go to, nor is it a denomination to belong to. The church is the gathering of sincere believers. Paul emphasized this when he confirmed that Jesus’ followers were baptized only into Christ and not into an earthly organization. There is but one baptism, and that is into Christ. Thus, it is a misconception that one joins or is baptized into a particular church denomination. Ephesians 4:4-6; Galatians 3:27; Romans 6:3, 4

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There is, and has only ever been, one true Church - the church which can only be entered through the narrow gate. The Church which Jesus talked about - his bride - the biblical Church, which is made up only of those who are Born Again believers from whatever church background, or none, worldwide, past , present and future. Those who through the revelation of the Holy Spirit have seen Jesus for who he is, recognised what he did, turned from their sin and accepted him into their hearts and lives as Lord and Saviour. Anybody who hasn’t taken these steps towards him and made that commitment is not part of the Church. And in my experience many church-goers and even clergy are not part of that One True Church - even those who believe their's is the only true church.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are seven congregations making up the church of Jesus Christ.

"The seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches." - Revelations 1:20

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Revelation 1:20 - Revelation 2:1

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Paul
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

Candlesticks - Seven church congregations
Stars - Individuals within the congregations, all held in the right hand of Christ
Seals - The seven seals sealed each congregation within the lambs book of life
Angels - The current preacher to the congregation.

And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. - Revelation 5:4

254811_e2605e7ea7d44a55b55ec8f9edea64a9.png

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us...” — John 17:20, 21

It is often asked, “What is the right denomination?” There are hundreds, if not thousands of denominations all claiming to be this one true church, but does God recognize any of these as His representative on earth? This subject should be approached prayerfully and honestly. If there was but one church in the beginning, established by our Lord, there should be but the one church in the end — the church triumphant in glory. Colossians 3:4

The word church was first used in the New Testament and is a translation of the Greek word ekklesia, which means a calling out. Jesus said to his disciples, “I have chosen you out of the world.” (John 15:19) The true church is a company of believers who, in accepting the invitation of Christ, have become sanctified or separated from the world, worldly pursuits and worldly organizations.

Those of the early church bore no denominational names, but were simply identified by their location. “Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, …sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints…” (1 Corinthians 1:2) These sanctified individuals in various communities set themselves apart from the world and dedicate their lives to God through the merit of His Son. Thus, the true church is not a place to go to, nor is it a denomination to belong to. The church is the gathering of sincere believers. Paul emphasized this when he confirmed that Jesus’ followers were baptized only into Christ and not into an earthly organization. There is but one baptism, and that is into Christ. Thus, it is a misconception that one joins or is baptized into a particular church denomination. Ephesians 4:4-6; Galatians 3:27; Romans 6:3, 4
The church of God isn't limited to any man-made distinctive. It is a spiritual brotherhood. The church can't be humanly organized. So then what are the religious denominations about? They are about catering and compromising with the flesh in order to get at the deeper connection to God. Misguided...although in spite of itself, the religious system can support the righteous, at least in an initial way. :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

"The seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches." - Revelations 1:20

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Revelation 1:20 - Revelation 2:1

Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

Stars - Individuals within the congregations, all held in the right hand of Christ

And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. - Revelation 5:4

I like this. Did you get this from Watchman Nee? And the angel could be seen as the Bishop of a certain city.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is, and has only ever been, one true Church - the church which can only be entered through the narrow gate. The Church which Jesus talked about - his bride - the biblical Church, which is made up only of those who are Born Again believers from whatever church background, or none, worldwide, past , present and future. Those who through the revelation of the Holy Spirit have seen Jesus for who he is, recognised what he did, turned from their sin and accepted him into their hearts and lives as Lord and Saviour. Anybody who hasn’t taken these steps towards him and made that commitment is not part of the Church. And in my experience many church-goers and even clergy are not part of that One True Church - even those who believe their's is the only true church.
Amen! The one true Church is made up of all born again believers/the body of Christ (Colossians 1:18,24) and is not simply a church building with a name stamped on the front of it.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Profitable things... Preaching the gospel, prayer, equipping the saints and discipleship.
Unprofitable things... Arguing all day about things we are unsure of

And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. - Revelation 5:3-4

Eschatology and Soteriology... If I am unsure of who is recorded in the Lamb's Book of Life what profit is it to argue who is written therein?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Amen! The one true Church is made up of all born again believers/the body of Christ (Colossians 1:18,24) and is not simply a church building with a name stamped on the front of it.
Nothing to discuss - it's the truth and it won't be changed whatever people say to the contrary.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2-18-23

There Is But One Church That Christ Said He Would Build

Revelation Of The Church Matthew 16:18-20

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

Ephesians 4:7-16 Means For Unity 7-11, Purpose Of The Gifts 12-16

7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Love, Walter

Reactions: Pearl

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Indeed, yet the mustard seed has grown to be a tree having many branches--a body of many members, each unique in their works, some good, some not pleasing to the Lord.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Debating won't change the truth.
But it may expose the lies. As to the question in the title, the answer is very simple. Every genuine child of God is within the one true Church (which is the Body of Christ). It is through the New Birth that people are grafted into the Church.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not quite true.

Paul wrote in Corinthians about the divisions in the church in the first century as well.

The Jewish vs. Gentile churches, Other were Paulione disciples, Appolos disciples, some followed just Jesus etc.etc. Not different denominations, but divisions just like denominations.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the one that the Lord adds you to upon baptism pursuant to Acts 2:47, and that's the one that teaches the following to be saved and added as aforementioned:

1. Belief and faith
2. Confession of belief as did the Ethiopian eunuch and in accordance with Romans 10:9
3. Repentance as was told the Jews on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:38
4. Baptism for the remission of sins also per Acts 2:38

And is organized and structured in accordance with scripture as delineated in Titus and 1 Tim

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

the charismatic movement is just another denomination that abuses the scripture for profit and notoriorty.

Charisma is the Holy Spirit = ALL who were/are have the Baptism of the Holy Spirit are 'Charismatic/Spirit' which comes from God.

Reactions: amigo de christo

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the charismatic movement is just another denomination that abuses the scripture for profit and notoriorty.

Charisma is the Holy Spirit = ALL who were/are have the Baptism of the Holy Spirit are 'Charismatic/Spirit' which comes from God.
In times past a false prophet was someone who did not speak the truth.

Nowadays false profits are ones that did not land them in million dollar mansions!

Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In times past a false prophet was someone who did not speak the truth.

Nowadays false profits are ones that did not land them in million dollar mansions!

LOL x100000

THANK YOU for that...................great laughter from it

i call them 'profiteers'

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was baptized an infant into Catholicism and anon attended enough
catechism to complete First Holy Communion and Confirmation. I was
schooled to believe the RCC was the one true church. However: the Church
likens itself to Noah's Ark.

Well the rub there is that nobody aboard the Ark perished in the Flood. So if
The Church really were akin to Noah's Ark, then no Catholic should end up
on the wrong side of things; but I'm pretty sure Rome expects to lose a
number of its followers to perdition because should a Catholic leave this life
with just one mortal sin on the books pending absolution-- just one --they go
straight to Hell; no stopover in a Purgatory.

Well, last time I checked, Pew Research suggests more than half of
American Catholics are lapsed. No doubt those folks are accumulating quite
a list of mortal sins against themselves to be examined at the event depicted
at Rev 20:11-15 when books are opened. Ouch!

* I am not only a lapsed Catholic, but also an apostate Catholic, having
renounced The Church and thrown in with the Protestants back in 1968.
However, I am in no danger of perdition because as one of the good
shepherd's sheep, I am immune to the wages of sin.

John 5:24 . . I assure you, those who listen to my message, and believe in
God who sent me, have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their
sins, but they have already passed from death into life. (cf. John 10:27-28)

FAQ: How is it possible to have immunity to the wages of sin? Isn't that an
obstruction of justice?

REPLY: It certainly would be an obstruction of justice had I not been a joint
participant in Christ's crucifixion.

Rom 6:3 . . Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ
Jesus were baptized into his death?

Gal 2:20 . . I am crucified with Christ
_